Hello from The Netherlands!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp8

GDIY Supporter
Hello all!

I’ve been on GroupDIY for several years now, so it’s about time I introduce myself before joining conversations 😊.

I am a professional electronics developer, living in The Netherlands. I am most interested in analog, solid-state audio electronics and more recently microphone electronics in particular. My interest in microphones came from my son's work as a sound engineer, for whom I once hope to make some nice sounding microphones. I’ve learned a good deal about microphones from him; what’s important in microphone properties and design and how to use them. But I have to admit, my 59-year-old ears are not as good and not as trained as his, so I will have to lend his ears once in a while when testing modded microphones. I also learned a lot from books, the Internet and this forum, which gave me inspiration for my own designs. I guess I will continue to learn from this group in the future, but would also like to be of help to others with my knowledge.

My intention is to publish my design ideas through my website. However, it is not live yet. The first designs I want to publish include the measuring equipment and tools I'm working on right now. These include an audio analyzer based on an upgraded UMC202HD sound card, a microphone measurement booth, a Faraday cage and a high-impedance voltmeter for measuring capsule bias voltages. I think it is important to substantiate why one design is different or better than another design, so I want to have these ready before doing any serious microphone modding and publishing the results of my work.

The first microphones I plan to work on include the MXL603S/991 or maybe other 22mm SDCs, T.Bone SC140 and RFT Gefell MV692/M70s. The modifications I have in mind are not so much related to component changes (which I don't expect too much from), but rather completely new electronic concepts. But don't expect these designs to be available anytime soon, because there's more to life than microphones and electronics. And I always tend to have more ideas and plans than time to realize them…

Cheers, Jan

Latest posts

Back