Hello! ......from Wellington, New Zealand :)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsilverstream

Hi to anyone who happens to read this :)

I'm 39 and new to DIY electronics (a late starter I know!), having repaired one of my DBX 160a light meters and opening the unit up, made me absolutely interested in what "actually makes the hardware compressor work" and has got me very interested in how amps/eq's/circuits etc are made, how to make them work/repair them etc etc.

So off the the local electronics store I went and straight for the starter kits (which has helped me learn things some very basic skills (and wow I got a traffic light to work!)

I'm now about to start with the GSSL (I have two of the Pusherman PCB's and have ordered one from PCB Grinder (they seemed slightly different I thought I would try both....) and also attempting to upskill myself in lots of the basic DIY stuff so I can finally take a look at some of my amps that haven't worked for the last couple of years!! :)

It shall be a long journey ahead but it's all part of the gig and I'm up for it (it seems crazy to own a bunch of recording equipment etc and have no idea how they are built and how to check for repairs etc so I'm really wanting to be a sponge and learn as much as possible!

Cheers
James

Welcome! I’ve heard from other NZ audio engineers that gear is either VERY expensive to import or hard to get (or both). Seems like DIY might be a particularly great way to get some quality stuff.

Good luck. Lots of wisdom and experience here.

Sounds like a very exciting journey :)

Careful with those gssl boards. Nice project but so easy to end up with faulty solder joints. Best to do just a few joints at a time and then inspect very closely, maybe even check for correct connectivity before proceeding. Spares headaches later.

Thanks for the reply's, I appreciate it :)

Yep it's very expensive to order in anything from another country (e.g about $150 -200 USD + for shipping for a 19" 1U rack of any type etc), then wait a month! :) since covid the shipping pricing appears to have dramatically increased. Plus a basically non-existent used market for quality recording gear so DIY seems like the best and only option (especially when not loaded with money!!!)

It' great and refreshing to see so much wisdom and knowledge been passed on and shared on here too! It feels very welcoming :)

Cheers Script for the tip about the GSSL boards, based on that I'll test every single solder connection (once I've done them), then again once additional components are added, test of all the connections/solder joins etc (ensuring correct as expected readings appear on every single component soldered/installed) then if all pass (a big "if" there!! ) do a power on.

I'd rather be over the top thorough as opposed to just "hoping its right" though I suspect this is "best practice or just the norm" and something I should incorporate into any of this type of work on PCB's etc :) getting into bad habits is something I want to avoid as much as possible :)

I'll test every single solder connection
I do only on densely populated boards like that, but always on every single switch and wire -- by default. Checking for connectivity and, equally important, for unwanted shorts nearby. Call me obsessed I also measure every single thru-hole component at least twice, first for matching and then again before installing ;)

Back