Help identifying gear please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given that you'll be hooking this up to your mains supply, my view is that the power toroid isn't the place where I'd look to cut corners. It might be absolutely fine, but for under $3 you do have to wonder.

For what it's worth, I've had good results with Farnell's own brand "Multicomp" toroids in the past, seem pretty decent bang for buck.

Edit: also, that's an EI transformer you've linked there - from what I understand, they radiate much more in the way of magnetic fields than toroids (IE induced hum in audio transformers), which is why toroids are seen more often.

Should work. But keep in mind the 26mm measurement is only for the core. Actual winding must be around 43mm. Depending on your case that could be an issue, or not.

Given that you'll be hooking this up to your mains supply, my view is that the power toroid isn't the place where I'd look to cut corners. It might be absolutely fine, but for under $3 you do have to wonder.

I understand your point and I totally agree with you. But please understand that my point isn't "cutting corners" but trying to avoid "overpaying" stuff. I admit that probably transformers might be an exception but a lot of components and parts are made in China and depending on where you buy them you might "overpay" quite a bit...

I'll check the "Multicomp" brand, I had no idea it existed. Thanks for the input in that one :)

Edit: also, that's an EI transformer you've linked there - from what I understand, they radiate much more in the way of magnetic fields than toroids (IE induced hum in audio transformers), which is why toroids are seen more often.

That's absolutely true but I've used those on a few guitar amps and mic pres without any problem if you take care of building a good layout. Toroids are for sure easier to handle :)

Cheers
Sono

also, that's an EI transformer you've linked there - from what I understand, they radiate much more in the way of magnetic fields than toroids (IE induced hum in audio transformers), which is why toroids are seen more often.
Toroids are not the panacea we'd like them to be... Sure they present much less magnetic leaks, but they have a much greater bandwidth which means all the HF and digital garbage that might be present on the line will not be as well filtered as it is in a 'crappy' EI transformer...
With toroids, you have a lot more of capacitive coupling between primary and secondary windings than with an EI, especially an EI like the one listed which is wound on a dual cage. So again, high frequency polution will travel easier thru the toroid.

With modern design, all that HF is filtered later by switch mode regulators, but if the PSU uses a linear reg, (or if it's a simple passive PSU), one can prefer the simple 'filter' offered par a simple EI :cool:

Latest posts

Back