help identifying this Audio-Technica mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capacitor

I've tried using the usual Internet search methods, and haven't come up with the answer. It's marked with an "O" on one side and the A/T logo on the other. I've checked everywhere else for model # or other identifying markings.

It came with (and works well with) an AT8538 power module: AT8538

I've checked out the mics mentioned in the above link, and can't find a capsule that looks identical. I'm wondering if this is an older version of more current offerings.

Anyone seen anything like this? It terminates in a mini-XLR on the other end, which fits into the AT8538.IMG_4087.JPGIMG_4086.JPGIMG_4085.JPGIMG_4084.JPGIMG_4083.JPG

By the looks of the mount with 2 screws it seems like it's a microphone made for fixed installation, on a wall, table or ceiling. Or maybe a specific stand.

The "O" could mean a circle, and it that case meaning an Omnidirectional polar pattern, not sure it's just a guess. By listening to it on headphones you can test if it's actually Omni or not.

It seems similar to this kind of mic:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/68272-REG/Audio_Technica_AT803_AT803B_Mini_Clip_On.html
Search for instalation mics, conference mics or lavalier AT mics.
But, I guess your best bet is to send an email to Audio Technica and ask them

Thanks much. Those were my thoughts as well. I can't determine whether it's omni for certain; around the periphery of the capsule it sounds like it is (and the O would make sense in lieu of any other markings).

I think you have a AT853 capsule. The same capsule has a few other type numbers in other applications, from lavalier to head-worn mics.

The AT853 usually is what's called a "choir mic". In that form, it comes with 9 m of cable. It's usually used hanging down from the ceiling.

Accesories:

AT8533X - 48V to pip power adapter, fixed 9m cable to XLR.
AT8533 - identical, but with a mini XLR connector and no cable.
AT8533pmx - panel mount, the one you have.

There are numerous other accessories, from tie clips to wind protection.

These are nice general purpose mics. Best used for vocals, as they have a "natural" bass roll-off.

I’m sorry mate, but the capsule showed here has no resemblance whatsoever with the AT853. It’s complete clear when seeing photos of both.

Whatever this capsule is , it’s definitely not an AT853

I just did some searching and came to the same conclusion. Surprisingly it doesn't have any markings on it, other than the Audio-Technica logo and the "O", which would usually indicate an omni capsule. I'll definitely reach out to A/T and ask and post the results.

Edit: the panel mounting apparatus is likely factory. The mic sits in there nicely, using the rubber surround as a kind of shockmount, and the assembly had to be put on the cable prior to one (or the other) end completely attached. I've got two of them and they are identical.

It's kind of like an ersatz PZM setup, with the capsule suspended just above the surface.

Edit again: the "O" is very likely a circle - to my (crappy, glasses wearing) eyes it doesn't look like a font. We'll see what A/T says :)

Last edited:
I’m sorry mate, but the capsule showed here has no resemblance whatsoever with the AT853. It’s complete clear when seeing photos of both.

Whatever this capsule is , it’s definitely not an AT853

I dug mine out and there's a diiference: the AT853 is tapered. So back to the mystery...

There are a lot of those mini electrets around in AT's docs. And they all look more or less the same.

What surprised me is that the connection with the XLR plug has 4 wires, but they only use two. Unbalanced.

Received a fast reply from Audio-Technica:

This looks like it could be an old ES943 with an omni element but none of us have ever seen that mount before.

Just received a followup:

It could also be an AT803, although that mount has me stumped.

(here's a link to the AT803 )

I'll send a photo of the mount with the mounting screws in place to them this evening.

Last edited:
Back