Help Troubleshooting Millenia Media HV-3B PLEASE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi again,

I have measured voltages of all opamps and compared both channels. Here they are:

U8
Both channels measure the same:

Pin 1 0
Pin 2 0
Pin 3 0
Pin 4 -24
Pin 5 0
Pin 6 0
Pin 7 0
Pin 8 +24

U3
First reading is ch1 (faulty)

Pin 1 16 / 15
Pin 2 5
Pin 3 5.8
Pin 4 -17.8
Pin 5 -17
Pin 6 -16.2
Pin 7 18
Pin 8 16 / 15

U4
First reading is ch1 (faulty)
Pins 5 and 6 are mismatched. Would that be the problem?

Pin 1 15.5 / 16
Pin 2 5 / 5.8
Pin 3 5.9 / 5.9
Pin 4 -17.8 / -17.8
Pin 5 -17 / -8.7
Pin 6 -16 / -8

Pin 7 17.8 / 18
Pin 8 15.5 / 16

Thanks for your help!
Cheers
Sono

Pins 5 and 6 are mismatched. Would that be the problem?
That is probably a good clue to where the problem exists. Don't forget that for some of the op-amps, they are in a feedback loop with discrete transistors.
So is U4 part of the input circuit with transistors in the loop, or just part of the diff-amps that remove common-mode from the first stage?
see above:
you can make your own [schematic] by tracing out connections on the PCB

Can you repeat the measurement on U3? Voltage on pins 6 of both input single opamps U3 and U4 should not be -16V.
Please also send a picture of the underside of the PCB, and the voltages on the pins of the 16-pin brown element that most likely contains the input transistors.

Can you repeat the measurement on U3? Voltage on pins 6 of both input single opamps U3 and U4 should not be -16V.
Please also send a picture of the underside of the PCB, and the voltages on the pins of the 16-pin brown element that most likely contains the input transistors.
Thanks for chiming in Moamps.
Here goes:

U3 ch1(faulty)

+17.8

U3 ch2

I'll post the element voltages in a sec.

Thanks
Cheers
Sono

Attachments

• IMG_20220505_203219.jpg
    IMG_20220505_203219.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 21
single opamps U3 and U4
Are you sure they are singles? Isn't pin 8 usually a no-connect on single op-amps?

Although if they are dual op-amps, pins 5 and 6 should be the + and - inputs, and I would expect those pins to be a lot closer together than the 1V difference measured even on the good channel. Maybe not a standard pinout? Maybe the "good" channel is a little bit broken as well? Not sure what to make of it.

Are you sure they are singles? Isn't pin 8 usually a no-connect on single op-amps?
I concluded this based on the voltages on pins 4 and 7. Sonolink can confirm this by checking the connection of these pins to to the power supply ICs (when preamp is off, is there a short connection between pins 4 of both ICs and also for pins 7)

I concluded this based on the voltages on pins 4 and 7. Sonolink can confirm this by checking the connection of these pins to to the power supply ICs (when preamp is off, is there a short connection between pins 4 of both ICs and also for pins 7)
Sorry Moamps, I'm not sure I understand: do you mean that when power is off I should be able to read continuity between pins 4 of both U3 and U4 and the same goes for pins 7?

EDIT: I confirm that is correct. When power is off pins 4 of both opamps are connected and pins 7 between them too

Yes. Pins 4 of all three IC should be connected. Pins 7 on input ICs (3 and 4) with pin 8 of the output IC too.
edit: Output IC (8?) is powered with separate +/-24V so
Pins 4 of IC3 and 4 shoud be connected, as pins 7 too.

Last edited:
Do you think the problem is a faulty opamp (or several). And if so how can I find out what the replacement is?
If not, any other ideas?

Cheers
Sono

Do not leave the preamp in on state for a long time when the NE5532 is in the output opamp position, because it is not very happy with the +/- 24V power supply. It can overheat. But it can be used for testing.

Back