Help troubleshooting noise please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

I built this ab763 preamp into a stompbox with an added DI output. When using the DI out there's a lot of noise (like wind blowing). I measured the opamp and I get 4.5v pretty much on all pins except pin 4 (0v) and pin 8 (9v). I tried replacing the Opamp but no go.
Would that be a busted cap that is not filtering DC?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sorry, now the correct schem is attached...

Attachments

• PK79 v2.4.jpg
    PK79 v2.4.jpg
    470.7 KB
Last edited:
Do you have an oscilloscope to see what the dc booster is doing for B+? Switcher supplies can make interesting noises.

I do have an oscilloscope. Do you want me to check B+ with it? Just asking, but if the noise was coming from the B+ supply wouldn't it be present at both outputs? Those voltages at the opamp pins are they normal? If not, how would those 4.5vdc end up there?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sono

4.5V DC on the input and output pins is correct in this case. The opamp is wired for unity, +1, gain by connecting the inverting input to the output. The opamp will settle at half the 9V supply voltage.

Are you getting the same noise when you bypass the tube section with the switch?

I do have an oscilloscope. Do you want me to check B+ with it? Just asking, but if the noise was coming from the B+ supply wouldn't it be present at both outputs?
The stage driving the XLR is powered by a voltage that's dirtyed by the switcher.
It is very likely that the output voltage of the smps is cleaner that its input voltage.
Check what happens when increasing significantly C1.

Back