Help with a "simple" diode limiter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuKeys

Hello everyone, please bear with me and don't be too rude, if you can.

This is my first post here, and from what I've read here and there on the forum, I believe I don't even have a fraction of the knowledge and experience that most users have.

I'm a mastering engineer, but I've only recently started delving into the electronics of the equipment I use every day for work.

I saw a project on YouTube for a diode compressor that seemed quite understandable and, I think, not too difficult to build. It's this one:

I want to mention that I have never soldered or used a breadboard until today. For now, I'm experimenting with simulators like CircuitJs on Falstad (and I'm taking my first steps with LTSpice).

What I would like to know is if it's possible to borrow the control system (i.e., the sidechain essentially) from Moritz Klein's compressor in that video and use it to control a gain reduction system also based on diodes but in a different configuration: not in series like Moritz Klein's project, but more similar to the arrangement of diodes in the U274 or similar to the arrangement in the 33609 (although I know this works with balanced audio...). Something like that:

sc-f3.jpg

Additionally, I'd like to understand if it's possible to make it a feedforward processor rather than feedback, meaning (as you all know) that we send the input signal for analysis to the sidechain rather than the output signal (if possible).

Thank you again for your patience.

Cheers

Luke

Back