help with transformer based monitor controller

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mento

hi there!

i've been searching all over this forum and the internet but couldn't find info to help me with a problem.

some time ago I built a passive monitor controller using a transformer from sowter for my studio. it's is all balanced and employs a few relay based switching functions including phase, mute, mono and dim. it works and sounds great except for when used with the subwoofer. it has to be noted that the subwoofer and speaker are a bit of a special design (adam s3a and sub 10) where the stereo signal goes to the sub first, gets filtered in a passive crossover and then routed to the left and right speaker. to make this switchable I created an 'insert loop'. when switched in, the stereo signal goes out to the sub, gets filtered, and returns the controller to be routed to the speakers by an output selector switch. I drew a block diagram to help make this clear. (sorry for the poor quality but I had to draw from hand, somehow couldn't get this done without proper software...) below is the part of the circuitry cotaining components in the audio path (i.e. relay switch functions left out), which is simply a dim via h-pad and four permanent resistors for a mono switch before the volume transformer.

when the subwoofer is switched in, a considerable amount of high frequency content is reduced, especially at low volume settings and sometimes unequal across left and right channels. additionally, the sub has to be turned way down to get anywhere near a usable level, way below the standard factory mark.

to make a long story short, I'm guessing the load, when the sub is switched in, is still too much although I chose a volume transformer because I thought it was the simplest way for a non-techie like me to avoid this problem in a simple passive circuit. obviously it's not that easy and I'm now looking to add an active stage to help cure this.

what I don't know is what kind and where. do I need a transformer driver circuit before the volume transformer or do I need an active output stage after the volume transformer?

I've come across the 'negative impedance' designs from jensen that look interesting for my purposes. transparency is still a goal, although some might say that a transformer would be the wrong choice from the start. however the purpose of my box is also to interface effortlessly in any environment.

anyway, my question is how would you wise audio gurus of the internets approach this problem? any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• vol. cntrl circuit.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 46
mento said:
when the subwoofer is switched in, a considerable amount of high frequency content is reduced, especially at low volume settings and sometimes unequal across left and right channels. additionally, the sub has to be turned way down to get anywhere near a usable level, way below the standard factory mark.
Being passive, the x-over wants to see a lowish source impedance (100-500r). Your transformer probably fails in that respect; being 10k nominal, I suspect the minimum reflected output impedance is probably in the 2k range. Even using an active circuit to drive it may not be sufficient (well, it would certainly depend on attenuation - you don't want your monitors having a variable frequency response, do you?). I suggest you use a balanced output circuit with sufficiently low impedance; it needs be active, then it's your choice of making it x-former-based or EBOS. I would also replace the volume comtrol with a good pot.

Thank you very much Sir!

Finally I gain some insight into this thanks to you. (you know, I do know a few techs around my place but somehow they cannot be bothered to look into this and it's not like I'm not prepared the shell out a few bucks for consulting...)

on the sowter website it's written the impedances of the transformer primary was 'better than 30k' and the secondary 'very low' or something in that vein... but it doesn't work in reality so no use speculating.

I think I will keep the transformer for now and see what goes with some output drive. (I would also have rework the innards of my box which has to fit in a very tight space on our console, which is a task for itself...)

but I'm certainly not opposed to future improvements and learning a few things on the way!

Sooo.....

Any tips for good sounding output stage for me to put together?

I have been looking into the jlm-audio stuff alot lately. I do have specific products in mind but I'm not sure wether naming them would somehow be against forum policy?

Anyway, great stuff so far, thanks again!

Latest posts

Back