Heritage Audio Issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey all! Bought a new dual HA73-EQ from these guys and chn 1 is thin and quieter…it’s being returned but I found a pic from when they released this unit in 2018, nice Carnhill input with bracket. The 2nd pic is mine, with hot glue all over what looks like a Carnhill transformer (edit...it's a custom made 9045 for them)…anyone know what the issue might be?

Attachments

• IMG_7476.jpeg
    IMG_7476.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7458.jpeg
    IMG_7458.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Is it the same model? Think they have a higher priced version and lower priced versions of their pres.

I have a 73 Jr which has recently started acting weird. One of the switches is not making good contact which drops the signal. So that might be a place to start looking if you wanted to troubleshoot.

Is it the same model? Think they have a higher priced version and lower priced versions of their pres.

I have a 73 Jr which has recently started acting weird. One of the switches is not making good contact which drops the signal. So that might be a place to start looking if you wanted to troubleshoot.
Same model - the “elite” series 73 with EQ. Something must have changed in manufacturing.

I’d troubleshoot, but it’s a couple weeks old…if I start messing around in there I’ll lose the warranty, which is 3 years…

Just different cans, same inside. The mu-metal cans are slightly cheaper and also easier to assemble as they can be soldered directly to the pcb.
I asked Carnhill for an mu-metal canned version in the early 2000' and later on they came back and told that they will make this as there was now two customers asking for it. In the beginning there were two press nuts on the top which was later removed as they could cause an internal short circuit.

It might be the case but I've never seen a blue mu-metal carnhill. Let alone hot-glued on rhe PCB.

And they always have a little sticker on their xfmrs.

The sticker is always on one of the sides. The M versions are not potted so a hard hit can make the can fall off. Probably what happened with the glued one.

Is glueing like that 'compliant' in commercial products? Looks like a botch to me.

Is glueing like that 'compliant' in commercial products? Looks like a botch to me.
I kinda wonder as well, but they are branded Carnhill - there’s a sticker on the back side.

Also, what is the hidden switch on far right? It’s not attached to the front panel, and it can be internally switched? Odd…

Attachments

• IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Ok! So, I’ve discovered pressing hard on the VTB9045MS input transformer fixes it. So a bad solder joint? Transformer pins shorting out? Funny, I thought the hot glue was to AVOID that issue haha.

I’ve never even seen a 9045MS, not sure what the S even stands for? The 9045M is mic I believe.

Last edited:
I would guess that the"M" stands for "mu-metal".

I have no idea what the "S" stands for but if I wanted to become unfair and nasty I would go for "Sh*t".

Only kidding :)

Back