Hohner Contessa CA-100

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
customer says loss of treble, does not have the same mojo hand as it did before,

tubes check ok,

speed control should have an arrow through it, (500K pot)

Sano was involved in these amps, there might be an alternate model number for the same amp,

had to trace this out as no schemo online,

going to rebuild output xfmr as ratio shows 20 K P-P to 8 ohms, is that right or wrong? we will soon find out...
I have a "goofy" factory fitted OT in my much cheapness high gain JCA22H head (designed by Mike Soldano made in China) 2 x EL84 with a 3.6K:8Ω/4Ω OT, decided it would be my 1st OT strip-down/re-build. The OT turned out to be a bit more than just a classic 3 section Pri|Sec|Pri job tho.
Then decided to build a 6.6K:8Ω 3 section spec OT from an old 1950's PT with EL75 lams, sounds great in the JCA22H, also changed out the EL84's for EL83's, just need to adjust bias trim pot and jumper a couple of pins the sockets. Picked up some bargain vintage NOS Mullard EL83 for peanuts on the bay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333955289351?hash=item4dc1495107:g:O2sAAOSwVCxgcwrX

crazy prices for amperex 6bq5 these days, no doubt.

here are some graphs for a 7.6 K OPT vs the 18 K in the Hohner,
you can see what going through the pentode knee does to the signal,

used this online calc>

https://bmamps.com/ivds.html
Another option that the average self appointed genius bar expert 'tube roller' can't handle is the 15v/300mA heater version PL83, was common in 1950's TVs, I've tried the heaters on a 12v dc wall wart and current draw was about 750mA for the pair, very nice sound when driven hard, got some old used Philips/Mullard ones for free, 1958 date code then bought some vintage NOS Tesla Czechoslovakia with a view to running them cathode starved, tube life may be lower but their humble sacrifice is all for the greater cause.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for posting that schematic. Just had a CA-100 come into the shop this AM. It's going to be later in the week before I can get to it, but I'll let you know what happens.

Back