holy sh*t!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy shit (thread title!!!), did you just link to the Atlantic? I can safely discard that in its entirety, because:
I quote this just because The Atlantic also had this to say:
According to a report published last week in The Atlantic, homicides are down about 12.5 percent year-to-date in more than 90 cities that have released data for 2023, compared with the same date in 2022.
So with all the crying and fearmongering from conservatives about crime in the big, bad, awful cities, I thought this worthy of note. The quote, by the way is from an article at ajc.com that notes that Atlanta's year-over-year homicide rate is down 30% for the first 5 months of 2023.

Last edited:
..and then there's reality. You skipped over an important bit from the article.

"And while the overall drop in recorded deaths in that time, from 3,358 in 2022 to 2,948 this year, is a welcome reverse from recent trends, the crime analyst Jeff Asher, who compiled the report, warns that the full-year figures could still rise."

“Even a record double-digit percent decline in murder in 2023 would still mean that a couple thousand more people will be murdered in America this year than in 2019,” he said.

We can all cherry pick.

I quote this just because The Atlantic also had this to say:
According to a report published last week in The Atlantic, homicides are down about 12.5 percent year-to-date in more than 90 cities that have released data for 2023, compared with the same date in 2022.
So with all the crying and fearmongering from conservatives about crime in the big, bad, awful cities, I thought this worthy of note. The quote, by the way is from an article at ajc.com that notes that Atlanta's year-over-year homicide rate is down 30% for the first 5 months of 2023.
And several large cities are no longer reporting data to the FBI so it is missing from the UCR database.

https://scrippsnews.com/stories/thousands-of-police-depts-stop-reporting-crime-data-to-fbi/
The upward trend was real, but the downward one may not be. I hope you can fathom why that is the case. And even if the downward trend is real, it doesn't offset the even larger increases of the previous few years. Gang violence is still a problem despite your premature "exclamation."

Keechant Sewell, commissioner of the New York Police Department, said Monday she would resign. She did not give a reason for her departure.

Her 18 months in office were difficult. It will be interesting to see who replaces her. AFAIK she was respected by her officers.

JR

Breaking news... President Biden said, "We have plans to build a railroad from the Pacific all the way across the Indian Ocean". ;) Did Biden Say There Are Plans To Build a New Railroad Across the Indian Ocean?

There are some pukes on social media calling Trump supporters (like me) Nazis... When I pushed back they said that they didn't call me a Nazi, but that I was a "Nazi supporter". That didn't make it OK for me. :rolleyes:

JR

I was a "Nazi supporter".

So, "fascism supporter," or "authoritarianism supporter" would be more on the mark. And it's not just Trump.

“It’s one more book — just throw it on the bonfire,” Spiegelman told me ruefully...
“It’s a real warning sign of a country that’s yearning for a return of authoritarianism.”

https://wapo.st/3NzLP3C

So, "fascism supporter," or "authoritarianism supporter" would be more on the mark. And it's not just Trump.

“It’s one more book — just throw it on the bonfire,” Spiegelman told me ruefully...
“It’s a real warning sign of a country that’s yearning for a return of authoritarianism.”
Just to be clear... are you calling me a "whatever" supporter? I am not inclined to repeat the derogation you just wrote, it is quoted above.

Please don't do this to anybody on this forum.
====
FWIW there seems to be a streak of authoritarianism running through the current administration, while not very right leaning (fascist). China's "state capitalism" seems admired by the left.

Trying to parse President Biden's speeches or uttering literally is not productive.
That is often true of most politicians when they rant hyperbolic.

With President Biden the comparison is a little jarring to see news clips of him from even a decade ago when he spoke much more fluently, while he has long been known to "enhance" his personal story. Also strange how he has mentioned multiple times in passing that he may get in trouble for his ad lib comments. Who exactly is he worried about getting in trouble with?

JR

Just to be clear... are you calling me a "whatever" supporter
Yes. I am not happy about it, but I look at Trump's utterances, and I look at DeSantis's utterances and policies and I see fascism. I look at policies enacted by the GOP in your state, mine, and others, and I see a determined usurpation of democracy. If you are too blindered to see these things, I am genuinely sorry.

So what are we supposed to do then, he’s only the leader of the free world
I'm not sure if JR missed Matador's sick burn, but it obviously went flying straight over your head.

Yes. I am not happy about it, but I look at Trump's utterances, and I look at DeSantis's utterances and policies and I see fascism. I look at policies enacted by the GOP in your state, mine, and others, and I see a determined usurpation of democracy. If you are too blindered to see these things, I am genuinely sorry.
Take off the WaPo glasses.

I'm not sure if JR missed Matador's sick burn, but it obviously went flying straight over your head.
It was lame and backfired. "God save the Queen, man!"

yes but "democracy" is a new talking point flogged by the left with little comprehension of modern governance (we are a republic).
My favorite kind of sick burn... in code so only understood by your team.

But that sounds like yet another insult added in passing. 🤔

My friends (?) around social media are bouncing off the walls,,, they practice the strategy of insulting people they disagree with until they disengage, then claim victory in the debate. :rolleyes:

JR

Something for the "THEY'RE OUT TO GET TRUMP!!!!!!!" crowd:
https://wapo.st/3NE45c4
A Washington Post investigation found that more than a year would pass before prosecutors and FBI agents jointly embarked on a formal probe of actions directed from the White House to try to steal the election.

The FBI was too overloaded investigating and arresting parents who disagreed with local school boards. And let's not forget those nasty unarmed "insurrectionists" who need to rounded up. It's also taken a lot of Bureau resources to stonewall Congress on the Hunter Biden laptop and conduct other critical CYA operations. Obviously they need more funding.

Back