Hotrod Build Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all

I'm just completing my hotrod build and I had a question about the wiring of the group buy carnhill transformers. On the JLM audio site there is a 180pf cap on the input transformer and then a 1k5 1W resistor and a .01cap on the output transformer. Are these parts included on Greg's PCB? I see the 180pf cap and the 1k5 resistor but NOT the .01cap. Does anyone have a wiring diagram/pinout that I could follow for wiring these transformers to Greg's hotrod PCB?

thanks!

best
Richie

If the bias tim is set wrong the 47 ohm resistor will burn up. To adjust, center the pot, put a 1K tone into the preamp and scope the output to the tranny. Bring up the gain to the point of the top and /or bottom of the waveform begin to clip, and adjust for equal clipping on the top & bottom of the waveform.

hi richie,
you still need the output transformer loading network (1K5 resistor & .01uF cap) on the output transformer. the 1K5 resistor on the hotrod board is part of the hotrod circuit, not the output transformer loading. note: the 180pF cap is on the input load.
-grant

[quote author="nielsk"]If the bias tim is set wrong the 47 ohm resistor will burn up. To adjust, center the pot, put a 1K tone into the preamp and scope the output to the tranny. Bring up the gain to the point of the top and /or bottom of the waveform begin to clip, and adjust for equal clipping on the top & bottom of the waveform.[/quote]

Or continue to replace the burned out 47Ω daily.
Turn the trimpot 1/4 turn each time until the resistor stops burning up.

(just kidding.) :grin:

On another subject: my grayhill switch doesn't have endstops.
It just keeps going around and around and around - is this normal?
I can't find info on the grayhill web site xplaining how to make the rotation stop.

hi kato,
not sure which grayhill model you have, but most should have the holes for the stop pins under the mounting nut and the facia of the body. look for a circle of small holes around the shaft. you can put a 1W resistor leg if it fits into the hole corresponding to the end-stop position and put some tape over the hole to prevent the pin (resistor leg) from falling out. grayhill usually provides a small pin and a small gold sticker/seal for this purpose (on the adjustable end-stop models).
hope this helps.
-grant

Hi, I write you from Italy and I am interested to buy the PCB for the clone of a NEVE 1272 preamps. Is it possible? Which the costs are?
Can you answer me to the following address email?
[email protected]

Thanks

Hello
I know this is a really old thread, but Im building this project at the moment.

Is there any chance someone still has the "Hookup Instructions/BOM" and
"Parts List that may be useful for additional information" ?

unfortunately Greg's the links at the first post are long gone

thank you so much

Greg said:
It's been a long time, but I think this is it.

Thanks Greg,
that is a big help.

Now I just need to know how to implement the output transformer, I don't have the LO1166, instead I have the
LO2567 ungapped transformer and the  T1310 inductor, I just don't know how to connect them to the BA283,
anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back