How to connect the Turbo board + 2x Super SC (drawing, post #15) **revised

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big bump for the above questions - and does the same apply to +/- 15V? Or should I take a tap for each SSC board's+/- 15V from each sides' point on the main PCB (within the box for L/R VCA).

Thanks!

D :)

hi,
first i suggest to take psu transformer 2X15V 30 VA

for each ssc could be powered by the same point + & - 15v in paralel

personaly i take it on the link + and - 15V

COM-OFF-ON  need to be connected to the control board just need one, so just need one relay, than just need one switch for bypass

only have to use one of the SSC boards for the bypass

Finally, looking at the above pic, do i leave the 'R' pad on SSC 1 unconnected?
yes

Bon soir and thanks for the quick reply Stereokillah!

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things if that's okay:

1) I should make the parallel connections for +/- 15V at the same place as indicated in the SSC schematic? And does the same thing also apply to the Ov?

2) When you said "first i suggest to take psu transformer 2X15V 30 VA" this was just referring to a parallel feed as described above; and not meaning I should get a second transformer?

3) COM-OFF-ON only needs to be connected to one board, so I can leave these unconnected on the second?

Merci bien et bonne soirée!

Brilliant!

And just also confirming that it's the same deal with Pot A/B - they only need to be hooked up once on one board?

Oh and should that be the board that goes into the Turbo board or straight into the main board or does it not matter?

Thanks so much,

Uh oh....

Anyone feel brave enough to make a suggestion?

I finally finished hooking up my GSSL + Turbo + 2 x SC according to the diagrams in this thread, but the unit seems stuck in bypass!

That is to say, it passes audio totally fine, but none of the controls have any effect whatsoever. When I switch bypass in and out I can hear the very quiet clicking in the relays on the 2 x SSC boards, but that's about it.

Anyone know where I should start? I was about to dive into other troubleshooting about the GSSL not compressing, but when I realised mine wasn't doing anything at all (makeup gain makes no difference, for example) it seemed more likely to be a pretty straightforward glitch in the bypass functionality.

If this helps, I've got a DPDT switch with each of the two sides going to each of the two relays, but as mentioned they do seem to be clicking when I flip the switch.

Thanks in advance,

PS - the LED from the SSC is working and switches on when compression is switched in too - so something is definitely happening on the SSC cards!

Thanks again,

Hi folks,

I tracked down the fault, as ever it was just a little dry joint - this time right before the relay which switched the whole thing in and out of bypass.

It's all up and running and lined up now: a permenantly turbo'd GSSL with an SSC board on each channel.

I have to say from my preliminary tests (my new studio is being built so I just listened quickly on some headphones) that this setup sounds phenomenal! The SSC board is giving me exactly what I want - the ability to glue together drums with heavy low end; gel them together with an even squish from snares and kicks rather than closing down on the kicks - TM and TL are the settings that really come alive here. The "OFF" position on the SSC dial is great to just get that more straight-up classic squeeze. I can't recommend this configuration enough!

I think I'll put together another GSSL just with the turbo option next up - slating it for use on the 2-bus rather than on a subgroup as my aim was with my current build.

It was quite a headache getting it all wired up, mainly because I'm also learning how to read schematics and how all this stuff works... But very much worth it, and the info on this thread is crucial and bang-on accurate to getting it all working. I didn't make mine switchable though, but it's more than simple to just see how that wiring would change to have everything available all the time.

Thanks so much to everyone who posted on this thread and of course to Jacob for getting the whole thing off the ground, as well as to the expat guys for the excellent mods, and barclaycon for the fantastic info he put together.

Cheers!!!

Hello everybody!
I have all the parts and the pcbs ready. I wanna buid a GSSL ALWAYS in TURBO mode with 2 SSC.
I'm trying to write down a diagram for the connections and I dont understand a couple of things. I hope someone can help me.
1- I connect "EXT OFF 60 90 130 200 TL TM" AND "SW POLE" of the first SSC to the first deck and pole of the rotary switch and the second SSC to the second deck and pole of the rotary switch (this is clear).
2- for COM, OFF, ON, POT A, POT B, I've read in the thread that I have to connect only one SSC so my question is: how can the second SSC work?
3- Why in the diagram above "R" of the second SSC is connected??? I thought I have to use only the "L" of each SSC. (my unit will be always in turbo mode)

Thank you very much for your help!

Alessio

Hi Alessio,

1) This is exactly correct

2) I was pretty confused about this until after I assembled my unit! I've got the exact configuration you're talking about. Simply put, those parts of the SSC board are another way of implementing bypass for the whole compressor - functions that were on the original GSSL long before Turbo or SSC boards were ever invented.

If you check the GSSL docs you'll see that the control board had outputs to go to the bypass switch, which was a two pole rotary if I recall correctly, as well as to a bypass LED. The SSC board has a section which performs exactly these functions, but with relay switching for the bypass. To clarify, this section is nothing to do with sidechain filtering.

From my understanding (I'm still pretty Noob) the bypass controls whether or not the VCAs on the main board themselves are doing anything, rather than whether the SSC filters are doing anything.

I was so confused that I fully populated both my SSC boards, but at least that process helped me understand what was really going on and why I only needed to have done that on one board - after all the main reason I got into this DIY thing was to learn :)

3) I believe the R is connected on those diagrams because they were looking at making the modes switchable. I wound up connecting to BOTH L+R on my two SSC boards, but only because I had already fully stuffed them with the 2 x 20K resistors before I realised they only needed a 10K (the 2 x 20 was to sum a stereo signal into an appropriate mono level). If you use both L+R then the 2 x 20K in parallel gives you 10K. This is explained much better by other people who understand it way better than me!

But simply put you only need to use one input on each provided you have the correct resistance.

Good luck - it's TOTALLY WORTH the brain strain of figuring this out, as mentioned above I was blown away by mine :)

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I actually should start to connect things together and then I'm sure I'll have other questions!
Anyway now I have a good starting point.
Just one more thing: I need to remove the two 20k resistors and replace them with two 10k resistors on both SSC? I wanna use only the "L" on each SSC!

Thanks again!

You can leave those 2 x 20K in and just wire into both L and R inputs, I just made a little hook on the end of my wire so it went in through L and then hooked into R. Works fine. Or just remove both 20K and put back in 1 x 10K and wire only into that.

Good luck!

3- Why in the diagram above "R" of the second SSC is connected??? I thought I have to use only the "L" of each SSC. (my unit will be always in turbo mode)

Because gyraf mode is one internal sidechain for both channel L & R, if you put a SSC you connect L&R too.

Turbo mode is a second internal sidechain like that you have one internal sidechain by channel for exemple
gyraf sidecahin for Left and turbo for Right, if you put an another SSC it's for the turbo, so the Right

now when you are in gyraf there only one SSC that work on both channel and when you are in turbo the the right is switched two the second SSC. 

Hello!
1- I've started to connect things together and I would like to have a stereo key input (in order to trigger the compressor with a stereo audio source).
I was thinking this:
I will use 2 TRS connectors.
from Sidechain LEFT I'll connect "0v" to the sleeve of the connector "Snd" to the tip and "Ext" to the ring. Same thing for Sidechain Right. So I'll have "KEY IN L" and "KEY IN RIGHT"! Is that correct?

2- Another little question: The SSC connected to the TURBO will be LEFT and the SSC connected to the main PCB will be RIGHT. My question is: which 47K resistor (that will be removed) is LEFT and which is RIGHT? I cant figure it out!

Thank you very much for your help and support!!!

Alessio

Alessio said:
2- Another little question: The SSC connected to the TURBO will be LEFT and the SSC connected to the main PCB will be RIGHT. My question is: which 47K resistor (that will be removed) is LEFT and which is RIGHT? I cant figure it out!
The 47k next to the wire bridge is left, the other next to dbx202 is right. (just follow the schematic and pcb traces from GSSL-input)

hi folks - working on the same project, and was wondering if anyone could give me a part number for the 2 deck, 8 position sidechain switch? having a hard time tracking one down.

also, this is the only switch/pot in the unit which needs to be 2 decks, right?

thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back