I have two NOS K67 capsules. Now what?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 empty ones sitting here… Wonder how much it’d cost to send one to you. Not cheap I’m sure.
Wow thanks for that! Probably more than if i just ordered one directly. Customs to Norway are also an issue. I am pretty sure the rest of the construction is just fine if this issue below the capsule is resolved. It can be filled with some stuff...

the syt-5 is mechanically kind of shitty tbh. it slowly disassembles itself under the torque of having its own bottom cap on, because the rails aren't braced like the original u87. the way it retains the tube to keep it from rotating is also prone to failure

Last edited:
I have 7 mics in SYT-5 bodies. Haven’t had any problems whatsoever yet. I’ll check to see if anything is loose on any of them tomorrow. I suppose, if it is a problem for me, from this point-on, I will check every time I get them out and every time I put them away. We’ll see if I need to.

I have 7 mics in SYT-5 bodies. Haven’t had any problems whatsoever yet. I’ll check to see if anything is loose on any of them tomorrow. I suppose, if it is a problem for me, from this point-on, I will check every time I get them out and every time I put them away. We’ll see if I need to.
honestly as long as they stay in the tightened position they remain stable for a while. it's repeated tightening and loosening that compromises them in the short term. long term stability (10+ years) I'm not sure. check how much the pins on the xlr insert are rotated when assembled from the orientation they were in before the bottom piece went on. check for loosening of the screws connecting the rails to the plate from bending

honestly as long as they stay in the tightened position they remain stable for a while. it's repeated tightening and loosening that compromises them in the short term. long term stability (10+ years) I'm not sure. check how much the pins on the xlr insert are rotated when assembled from the orientation they were in before the bottom piece went on. check for loosening of the screws connecting the rails to the plate from bending
We must remember that even though they “attempt” to mimic the originals … the SYT-5’s are mediocre at best …

Sadly … there are few other reasonable options available in the midrange cost DIY window …

My Dan D-67’s in SYT-5 bodies absolutely present an acceptable facsimile of the original U-67’s character that I came to know and love in my time at Devonshire Sound Studios in Los Angeles … and there are many improvements that I could make the would significantly move their sound far closer to the originals that I would consider long before changing out the SYT-5/headbasket, which would represent an infinitesimal change compared to capsules, tubes and transformers …

Remember … unless you have an original (and in many cases even if you do) … your sound WILL vary …

In DIY … we are chasing an imperfect and often times unrealistic and very subjective end result !

Bottom line … pursue a result that YOU are happy with … everything else is ether and mirrors !!!

I also built dozens of mics with SYT5 bodies, never had any issues. I remember vintage u67's had a foam around the capsule holder to reduce internal reflections,but they made lot of troubles after disintegration(and they collected moisture too)

I've often wondered what would improve in the sound of a Neumann M49 if the flat plate below the capsule were treated with foam, or a hemispherical diffuser were added.

Anyone tried either, with a clone?

Attachments

• 49.png
    49.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a conical rubber diffuser in my SYT5 the mesh in the headbasket seems to be randomly placed though

Attachments

• SYT5 Headbasket.jpg
    SYT5 Headbasket.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I've often wondered what would improve in the sound of a Neumann M49 if the flat plate below the capsule were treated with foam, or a hemispherical diffuser were added.

Anyone tried either, with a clone?
What i have noticed is that the height of the capsule in the headbasket, maybe also the shape of the capsule holder, makes a difference in the 4-5 khz region in an M49 clone.

I got it from Aspen @ Groove tubes many years ago . I thought it was used for mechanical reason to isolate the capsule from vibration. Only recently I read on this forum about acoustic concerns of the headbasket and positioning of the capsule at different height in it. I haven't made any measurements yet but I will in the near future

Latest posts

Back