I need a new oscilloscope - 300€?

Help Support GroupDIY:

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
I have already looked at this scope as well. It costs between 375 and 400€. Unfortunately only 8bit, but I'm not sure how much that would limit me in daily use . I find it quite sexy,

Have you had any personal experience with it?

Here is the best offer I found, with all options installed.
You can also see the specs there.

rock soderstrom

⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️⚽️
A small interim conclusion to the thread from my side. I have been using WaveForms with my Steinberg UR22 mkIi interface for quite some time. I have tinkered two probes to it, with switchable 1:10 attenuation, so you can already do a lot.

Nevertheless, it does not replace a real scope, what bothers me most is the constant "calibrating" and the local inflexibility.

I will certainly buy another dedicated oscilloscope, such as the Rigol mentioned above or similar. Simply because of the local flexibility and ease of use.

I can borrow one from this class next week for testing....

Nevertheless, I will expand my Waveforms/ REW workstation and continue to use it in parallel. Best of both worlds. 😎

Last edited:

neil.johnson

If you want an oscilloscope, the Rigol that Whoops posted. They're good solid scopes, bought about 5-6 of them for the office. Scopes are fundamentally time analysis devices - the vertical resolution is nice and together with the wideband attenuators on the frontend you can get your waveform on the screen, but it's the horizontal axis that dominates the functionality.

If you want to analyse audio (very different job) then no scope will be as good as a good quality audio interface. But that runs at a much slower sample rate so no use trying to hunt down an errant opamp oscillating into the MHz.

Beyond that you're into dedicated audio analyser territory (AP, etc) which typically use notch filters to remove the fundamental to get better analysis of the noise and distortion products.

Spectrum analysers, again a very different beast, especially the RF ones.

Neil

calaverasgrande

Bought the Rigol DS1054z last year.
It's a pretty great scope for me, as my previous scopes were old analog dual channel units.
It has a lot of easy to access math functions I find useful. Lots of buttons, I like that.
4 Channels is great, but I have yet to actually plug in 4 sources. Only done 3 sources once.
I basically bought it because it is a popular choice, so I wouldn't have trouble finding forum posts if I run into trouble.
Haven't run into trouble yet.
Downside, yeah it's only 8bit depth. And the sample rate goes down as you ask it to display more signals.
Also, it's a 5 year old design. So there are newer scopes with bigger displays.
Though this is a plus for me. I don't like gear with touch screens. I want dedicated buttons as much as possible.
So in that regard this is better than some newer scopes.
As far as price.
Shop around. I got mine for $340 USD last year. Should be possible to find an open box or something for as cheap or better.

Whoops

Unfortunately only 8bit, but I'm not sure how much that would limit me in daily use . I find it quite sexy,

Have you had any personal experience with it?

Yes I have one and I really like it and think it's great.

I don't think you will have any limitations in your daily work.

This is probably the best Osciloscope around in that price range

Thomas W. Bethel

Love this scope...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J1MQC3G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Had it for a year and still impressed.

Attachments

• oscope.jpg
    oscope.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 26

dirtyhanfri

I bought an QA401 about one year ago and I'm happy with it, 24bit ADC, nice automated measurements, good enough software... Price is a bit over 300€ but still cheaper than a good audio interface.

I'm not very experienced but I think it's good enough for my needs

For digital signals and such I use a cheap Bitcsope plugged into my laptop. Years ago I tried to use it with a Rpi with touchscreen, the idea and performance were good, but the user interface is highly mouse dependant so I never got used to it.

mobyd

Lots of love for the Rigol and I can understand why. They, like all digiscopes, are great for showing what happened. For showing what is happening right now, it is hard to go past a good analog scope. My journey with Tek has been a bit spotty. Had a 2445 and 2645, wonderful instruments, but regrettably, like their owner, these things are getting old and eventually the issues got too annoying so I had to pension them off. Back to the Rigol. Had a Tek THS720 from new but eventually its LCD display developed a cataract which eventually grew to obscure over 25% of the screen. Back to the Rigol. Bought a second hand cheap Tek TAS250 to tide me over until I could find a replacement 24*5 (the Rigol still annoys me). Ooops, the Y beamshift controls were jumpy - no problem, replace the pots. Big problem - every plastic part I touched (pot shaft extenders etc) turned to dust. Back to the bloody Rigol.

swpaskett

I second Mobyd. If you can find a good Tek 24x5, grab it. These scopes are probably the best Tek ever built. There are other good scopes out there, I suppose, but I haven't met them. None of my current scopes can compete with the 24x5, but I bought each of them at a time when I (thought) I needed something only they did.
Current scopes:
Hantek - lots of features. Like the Swiss Army knife, it does everything, but nothing well. I hate the sprinkling of dots on the screen.
BK Precision 60MHz - trusty analog scope; basic 2 chan dual timebase. A good scope at $60 used from a school that shut down its electronics program (a shame). Replaced something else I choose to forget that went up in flames. Bandwidth a bit less than I wish, but the price was right.

Latest posts