IC sine generator for 10-120khz? (re: bat detector)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cjuried said:
gyraf said:
8038 kit off China: http://www.banggood.com/DIY-ICL8038-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-Sine-Square-Triangle-Wave-Output-KIT-p-1028924.html

Nice little kit. Make sure that the Intersil ICL8038CCPD is authentic and not a common knockoff.
If the 8038 has been obsolete for decades wouldn't it have to be a knock off....?

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Cjuried said:
gyraf said:
8038 kit off China: http://www.banggood.com/DIY-ICL8038-Function-Signal-Generator-Module-Sine-Square-Triangle-Wave-Output-KIT-p-1028924.html

Nice little kit. Make sure that the Intersil ICL8038CCPD is authentic and not a common knockoff.
If the 8038 has been obsolete for decades wouldn't it have to be a knock off....?

JR

Nope. There are still a few suppliers that have a large stock of the authentic chip. I have around 500 here and another order for 300 on the way.

Cjuried said:

Anybody actually happened to order his kit, or one of the alike ones ?
Was it working, so actually containing a functional 8038 ?

The price it right, but waste of time & money if it's a fake chip.

Thanks!

gyraf said:
..works, the couple of kits that I've seen...

Thanks Jakob, good to hear. Ordered a few, directly @ ebay the prices happened to be even more ... remarkable.
I took the kit version, since 'other plans' than the stock version.
And it also actually feels a bit strange to buy an already soldered PCB (unless it's SMD...)  ;)

Bye

dfuruta said:
The XR2206 would be perfect, were it still made -

I had no idea this chip went out of production. So I got curious...

Amazon has them, expensive though (10$)...
Tayda has them, affordable (3$)
eBay has them (1 - 3$)
Alibaba has millions of them, very cheap. (0.1 - 1$)

Even if these are Chinesium, at those prices, it's worth ordering a couple and testing...

cyrano said:
Even if these are Chinesium, at those prices, it's worth ordering a couple and testing...
Perhaps that's the business model for some sellers: sell cheap, put 10% real working parts in so that some success is reported - the other parts don't work, but those buyers don't spend more time on it since it was dirt cheap.

Several chips @ ebay are depicted with A-brand manufacturers in the picture, but not in the description. Specifically asking whether these parts are indeed from that brand is without much exception NOT answered.

The parts I really need can most of the time also bought closer to home, for higher prices, but usually much faster delivery.

So no free lunch. But it's all good.

Back