I'm back, sort of

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I've been away from the group for several months, finishing up my Master's Thesis. It's done, so I have a little more free time.

On the other hand, I have a book contract to fulfill. And I'm trying to peddle the thesis to a publisher as well. That's the "sort of".

Peace,
Paul

No defense; at our university a PhD thesis is defended, but a Master's Thesis is not.

And yes, the book is about electronics. It's called Inside the Box; it's for recording students and home recordists who want to understand how the equipment they use actually works. Well, some of the equipment, anyway.

Peace,
Paul

pstamler said:
No defense; at our university a PhD thesis is defended, but a Master's Thesis is not.

And yes, the book is about electronics. It's called Inside the Box; it's for recording students and home recordists who want to understand how the equipment they use actually works. Well, some of the equipment, anyway.

Peace,
Paul

Sounds like an interesting topic. A friend of mine just wrote an "audio" book a while back http://www.ethanwiner.com/book.htm  His book is also aimed at recording enthusiasts and only addresses how gear works inside with broad strokes (he is not an electronics engineer). He has done a little circuit design for DIY projects but didn't go too deep inside the box.

You can fill a bunch of pages talking about how legacy gear worked (works) inside, and even speculate about future technology trends.

It will be a bit of work to lucidly describe the inner workings in terms that non-engineers can understand but I believe it can be done and is a worthwhile goal.

JR

PS: I helped my friend a little with fact checking on the 700+ page manuscript before he went to print. A serious book effort is a lot of work. I have long wanted to write a book, but never found the discipline and time. Good luck. 

Back