I'm Rather New to This...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyanmonkey

I'm a student at the Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences in Gilbert, AZ and am starting to get into building Mic Pre's and Compressors and things of that nature, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be much appreciated. I can now read schematics fairly well, but I'm confused on the whole putting it together...

CyanMonkey,

Hi, I am new to this also. I have built many a tube amp for guitars though. I have been lurking here for a while, trying to learn about these units they do here.

My advice is this, (not that I am qualified here to give advice)

1. Read the meta's
2. Read the meta's
3. Search for questions you have, read and follow the links.
4 Read the meta's
5. Order and build a unit.

I am still on number 1.

bob

[quote author="bevins"]I am still on number 1.[/quote]

Hang around here for a while and you will be full of number 2. ...... and bad jokes.

Anyway, good advice Bevins. The Metas are great and the search tool is powerful. You will find that you learn about a lot of things indirectly, while searching for something related or even entirely seperate.

The projects that most people begin with are the ones that have dedicated pages on the net, that show pictures of step by step construction. I started with kits that came with instructions, and that's a great place to start if you are feeling timid about chopping and soldering components.

Another good tip is to try using the Google site search on this place - it can sometimes pull out better results than the inbuilt search engine...

Justin.

Back