Impedance changes in a tube circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Errr... to expand on my last post: The cathode of the top triode sits at around 150V, but the heater sits near ground. Vhk for the 12BH7, with the heater negative with respect to the cathode, is around 200V (according to my datasheet). You may or may not want an elevated power supply for the heaters. Looky here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5226

Peace,
Al.

There's no point in using just any dual triode for a WCF... The tube(s) used should have high transconductance/low plate resistance to gain the benefits of the topology. And the maximum plate dissipation should be fairly high if you intend to drive difficult loads. The 12BH7 meets these criteria and that's why I (and others) have used it for this purpose.

The plate and cathode resistor values are tailored to the tube type, the supply voltage and the desired plate current, and you can't just drop any tube into the same circuit and expect good results without adjusting the values. Broskie from "TubeCad" recommends a plate resistor that's the reciprocal of the transconductance; but I found experimentally that a resistor of slightly higher value than this gave me greater maximum symmetrical voltage swing into lower-impedance loads.

[quote author="Sleeper"]Hi Dave,
I'll have to look at the datasheets on that tube. I don't know about the emperor, but I have so much spare plate current that I was a bit worried...
[/quote]

I've actually fallen off this thread. I still need to learn a lttle more background info before I can digest everything that has been discussed. I'm currently plodding through the pdf's that NYDave pointed me to and learning a ton.

As far as my power supply, I am pretty close to being maxed out on current with the tiny X-former I used, so I think I will pass on the tube for now.

So while I am learning to fish, if anyone can suggest a solution to my particular design problem, that would be appreciated. What I have digested from this thread is short of adding a second tube (WCF or other), my best option is to use a 12:1 x-former and have the tube run a little hard, loose some bandwidth above 5K, and output a mic level signal which I am fine with. Would an electronically balanced output be any better? If there isn't a simple solution, I'm also fine with just using the Alembic into a power-amp rather than as a tube DI for Bass.

Thanks,
Chris

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]There's no point in using just any dual triode for a WCF...[/quote]

Lest you think I don't know that:

[quote author="sleeper"]The white cathode can be made with any dual triodes yes? I mean any dual triodes that meet basic criteria for the given power supply etc.[/quote]

So there! :razz:

:green:

Peace,
Al.

> if you're talking about using a cathode follower

Well, no. Cathode followers are kind of "too-new" for a classic gitar-amp. And as you say, watch the heater insulation.

Use a tube with a Mu of 10 or 20 with a plate winding of 10K-20K. FLowing plate current through the winding is most efficient, but DC-rated iron is harder to find, so an R-C coupled deal may be easiest.

A plate-loaded triode in 10K:600 can live on around 3mA-5mA, much less than any 600:600 output like a simple CF or Dave's WCF. Even 3mA is more than the whole existing circuit, but less than a CF/WCF and 600:600 iron needs.

> the output impedance of the Alembic is high enough to start causing common-mode distortion in the opamp.

Quite true at the point-oh distortion level. I'm not sure I would care in a guitar amp. Or at least: if it was convenient, I'd try it and see rather than reject it on theoretical grounds.

> One possibility might be the old LM310 buffer amp. ...into a 1:1 transformer

IIRC, not a heap of output current. Sure it will drive 10K loads, but it may be less happy seeing a "600 ohm" winding, even un-loaded. Of course if I had a 310 and a 600:600 on hand, I'd give it a whirl.

> The curves aren't curved.

Ah, 12AX7 has very high Mu and thus the cathode curves are nearly straight for reasonable currents. Go to extremes with low-Mu tubes and they curve more.

It does seem like there should be a rough-cut formula like Rl + Rk*Mu, but I can't work it today.

> The white cathode can be made with any dual triodes yes?

As you and Dave agree: you "can" build one with any twin triode (very-dissimilar dual triodes would be an odd pick). But in many many cases, a WCF is not the best use of a twin triode.

Oh, and tubes with very low Mu, like 6080 Mu=2, make crummy WCFs. And any time you need power output, high-Mu tubes are poor choices. Stay in the Mu=5-30 range, except some of the supercharged late TV tuner tubes do make lovely WCFs.

Back