Import Duty in the US?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> No police, no judges, no harbours...?

Each ex-Colony was a strong self-ruled entity. They had been funding their own sheriffs and courts well before the Revolt.

IIRC the King was supposed to send both Governors and Judges? And his neglect to this duty is noted in our gripe-list (Declaration). But each Colony was already supplying the building, housing, and maybe the salaries. The actual person could be any fair-minded man who had nothing better to do. Retired merchant, voted-out Senator, etc. "Fair-minded" isn't too strict because most cases went to a Jury Of Peers who wouldn't take abuse.

Federal Courts were established in the Constitution, for resolving disputes across States (one reason we needed something more than the Federation), but business was probably small at first.

I propose that Cost of Government is related to age of government. When France and England had governments extending over centuries, the US's was only decades old.

PRR said:
I propose that Cost of Government is related to age of government. When France and England had governments extending over centuries, the US's was only decades old.
At a time France was not even a country, just an aggregate of self-ruled cities and provinces, but taxes existed:
Taille, etymologically "height" (big guy pays more than small guy!), then based on "size" (of hut/estate/cattle...).
Gabelle (salt-tax)
Dime (paid to clergy)
Octroi (excise)
I propose that Cost of Government is related to the size of said Gov't's bludgeon, relative to that of the poor street guy.  :'(

Latest posts

Back