inexpensive toggle switches

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
Beware that these are rated at 250Vac 2A/125Vac 5A.
You cannot compare with low-level types (gold-flash contacts).
Does that really make a difference? Gold plated contact toggles are like $20 USD. I never thought I needed to dig that deep. When would I want to use gold plated?

Toggles are a part that you probably don't want to get cheap with though. Cheap ones can have a wonky feel. The bat will move a lot. And if you apply too much heat they can break entirely to the point where the switching contacts don't mate properly.

Personally I like NKK toggles. They seem a little more sturdy than most types. That is reflected in the price but the regular silver plated ones are $5-$10 USD depending conconfiguration. And they have a LOT of configuations. They have some pretty cool configurations like a large M12 busing with a large bat but the body is a regular mini toggle.

squarewave said:
Does that really make a difference? Gold plated contact toggles are like $20 USD. I never thought I needed to dig that deep. When would I want to use gold plated?

Toggles are a part that you probably don't want to get cheap with though. Cheap ones can have a wonky feel. The bat will move a lot. And if you apply too much heat they can break entirely to the point where the switching contacts don't mate properly.

Personally I like NKK toggles. They seem a little more sturdy than most types. That is reflected in the price but the regular silver plated ones are $5-$10 USD depending conconfiguration. And they have a LOT of configuations. They have some pretty cool configurations like a large M12 busing with a large bat but the body is a regular mini toggle.
Gold plated contacts are probably better for dry (no/low current) switching.

Most decent brand name switches should be competent.

JR

abbey road d enfer said:
I use these
https://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/interrupteurs-a-levier/7109713/
They don't break the bank.

These are quite cheap actually? Are you happy with them?

abbey road d enfer said:
I use these
https://fr.rs-online.com/web/p/interrupteurs-a-levier/7109713/
They don't break the bank.
That part is apparently considered obsolete and the derivatives that are not are not stocked. At least the ones with the Alco code G for gold contacts is not found anywhere.

But I am curious about using gold contacts now. Not sure I understand JR about dry / no current. Meaning low power AC only?

squarewave said:
That part is apparently considered obsolete and the derivatives that are not are not stocked. At least the ones with the Alco code G for gold contacts is not found anywhere.
I don't know, I just have a stash of them.

But I am curious about using gold contacts now. Not sure I understand JR about dry / no current. Meaning low power AC only?
Exactly. Ag contacts do oxydize. It's the spark that clean them.
For low-level applications, where there is not enough energy to spark, gold contacts are needed.

Push-switches or rotaries don't have the same problem because friction cleans the contact surface.

How would the difference between gold and not-gold contact switches manifest? Distortion? Resistance? Intermittent contact over time? Other?

I've used many of those Taiway toggles. I mostly get them from Small Bear, but have also gotten them from Love my Switches. They seem to work fine and the toggle feel is solid. I'm about 5 years or so into DIY and have yet to run into any problems with them.

rp said:
How would the difference between gold and not-gold contact switches manifest? Distortion? Resistance? Intermittent contact over time? Other?
Mainly inconsistant contact. You may have to toggle the switch a couple of times before getting a positive contact.

rp said:
Not a widespread problem but symptoms can vary with fault mechanism.

1- some oxidation can block conduction until there is high enough enough voltage potential to punch through the oxide layer. We have encountered paths that start playing again after level is turned up louder.

2- some switches are self wiping, so exercising them a few times can make an improved connection.

3- unsealed switches and poor operating environments can influence reliability.

4- gold is pretty so must be better...

I provided gold plated RCA jacks in my last phono preamp kit because gold is perceived to be better (and they were surprisingly cheap at the time).

JR

Latest posts

Back