Info about Collins and other old cool vintage tube preamps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analogggman

I've never owned or heard one, but am very interested to know what's out there, and what the sounds are. I've read some of the designs are rather simple and aren't too hard to build. Thinking of putting one together if I can get some more info. Looking for some cool saturation for drums and vocals.

I agree. I've built quite a few Gates SA70 and Collins 6Q-1 preamps and always reach for the Gates first. A lot of that is personal preference and only having experience with a single Collins preamp design.

Where I do think the Collins 6Q-1 shines is on more aggressive/distorted drum sounds or 60's soul style drums.

The SA70 with a negative feedback control and bass/treble control similar to the Coil Audio CA-70 is just more versatile.

The SA70 with a negative feedback control and bass/treble control similar to the Coil Audio CA-70 is just more versatile.
How do you implement the bass/treble control? The negative feedback control can be an adjustable pot in the loop. But the bass treble I think would have to switch caps? I am interested in building a SA70 inspired preamp.

How do you implement the bass/treble control? The negative feedback control can be an adjustable pot in the loop. But the bass treble I think would have to switch caps? I am interested in building a SA70 inspired preamp.
You are correct. It's switching cap values in the negative feedback loop. I always refer to this schematic, sorry the quality isn't the best. I snagged it from a different thread at some point... I think from EMRR.

For my needs, I've found only implementing the bass control is enough. I use a 5 position switch with roughly the following cap values:
  • .001 uf
  • .0022 uf
  • .0056 uf
  • .008 uf
  • .01 uf
Honestly, I am not super scientific about it and it's definitely impacted by the transformers I'm using.

Attachments

• Gates SA-70 Freq.jpeg
    Gates SA-70 Freq.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 4
I've never owned or heard one, but am very interested to know what's out there, and what the sounds are. I've read some of the designs are rather simple and aren't too hard to build. Thinking of putting one together if I can get some more info. Looking for some cool saturation for drums and vocals.
In the last couple years, I've finally gotten comfortable building tube equipment and have slowly been working my way through simple tube preamp designs. Gates SA70 is a fairly easy build and sounds great. RCA BA-2C(B) is another one that I've really enjoyed building and sounds awesome. Gates SA-134 is a little more complex, but tons of gain. A couple others are the Western Electric 141-A, preamps from the RCA BC-6B and the Collins 6Q-1.

It's switching cap values in the negative feedback loop. I always refer to this schematic, sorry the quality isn't the best. I snagged it from a different thread at some point... I think from EMRR.

For my needs, I've found only implementing the bass control is enough.
There are different revisions of the schematic in how the feedback is done, so the schematic is helpful. Are you switching C4? Trying to wrap my head around changing the cap in the feedback loop would change the frequency response of the amp. Opposite, I expect, a HPF in the feedback loop would be a boost in the lows for the amp. I guess building it up and experimenting would be the way to go.

There are different revisions of the schematic in how the feedback is done, so the schematic is helpful. Are you switching C4? Trying to wrap my head around changing the cap in the feedback loop would change the frequency response of the amp. Opposite, I expect, a HPF in the feedback loop would be a boost in the lows for the amp. I guess building it up and experimenting would be the way to go.
Yep I'm switching C4 to adjust bass response and replacing R4/R8 with a 250K linear pot + 10k resistor for NFB control.

What transformers are you using in your builds?
I use a variety. Just sort of depends on what I have laying around or can snag off eBay for a decent price.
  • Input: you want something that's like 150 or 250 or 600 ohms to roughly 50k ohms. I've had success with 600:15k as well, just has less gain.
  • Output: Basically the reverse 15k:600 or something in that ballpark. The output is cap coupled, so you don't have to worry about the output transformer needing to handle DC voltage. I personally think these are the least expensive best sounding option: Edcor WSW Series 15k:600 - definitely a personal preference.
I've also recently ordered some transformers from utmindustry.com which I've really liked. Prices and quality are super good and international shipping hasn't been bad. I'm located in the USA.

I honestly just poke around eBay and look for deals on transformers with those specs. I'm frugal, but definitely love the sound of vintage transformers from UTC/Triad/Freed/ADC/etc.

Hope that helps.

• I personally think these are the least expensive best sounding option: Edcor WSW Series 15k:600 - definitely a personal preference.
Is there any reason to use the 2.5w version over the 1/2 watt.?

I have some O16 utc input transformers. I’m going to order a couple edcores just wondering if the 2.5 watt has any advantage.

Last edited:
Is there any reason to use the 2.5w version over the 1/2 watt.?

I have some O16 utc input transformers. I’m going to order a couple edcores just wondering if the 2.5 watt has any advantage.
Good question. If the unit was driving that much output you could go with the 2.5w version, but these preamps don't. I've used primarily the 1/2watt version which should give plenty of headroom from my understanding.

In the last couple years, I've finally gotten comfortable building tube equipment and have slowly been working my way through simple tube preamp designs. Gates SA70 is a fairly easy build and sounds great. RCA BA-2C(B) is another one that I've really enjoyed building and sounds awesome. Gates SA-134 is a little more complex, but tons of gain. A couple others are the Western Electric 141-A, preamps from the RCA BC-6B and the Collins 6Q-1.

What are good starting points you can recommend? I'm just now getting into the planning phases. Did you use any book resources or just schematics, etc? I'd like to be able to build some tube stuff comfortably in the future as well.

I personally think these are the least expensive best sounding option: Edcor WSW Series 15k:600 -
I used WSM 15k:600 in my LA2A build for the output and think they are really good also. It sounds great in that build anyway.
I have some O16 utc input transformers.
Are they basically a shielded O-1? I built several preamps with O-1 using O-17 shields and they sound great.
The A series or LS series are more expensive but also have options.
For transformer coupled outputs, the A-25 or LS-27 can handle DC.
Cheaper, Carnhill has a gapped 4:1 output.
The Jensen 115k is another good option for the input. For the output, Jensen 10k61 is a great transformer.
I've gotten original transformers on ebay, but they don't show up often.

What are good starting points you can recommend? I'm just now getting into the planning phases. Did you use any book resources or just schematics, etc? I'd like to be able to build some tube stuff comfortably in the future as well.
I honestly spent a lot of time on the forums here reading and reading and reading about whatever preamp I was working on. Most folks have run into common issues and posted about them, so I research and take notes before jumping into a new build. Then I’m usually following the schematic and building it close to the original design. For power supplies I tend to run old school with AC heaters/filaments and re-use the BA-2C power supply as a starting point.

Are they basically a shielded O-1
O16 UTC are mumetal shield 150,250,600 input impedance to 50k output tube grid. +8dbm 30 to 20k response so it’s an O-1 with shield

That’s encouraging dmp. I’ve heard CJ critic ouncers. I figure a 10 to 20 DB pad makes them work with most sources.

It’s the middle transformer case on the left side of this Brochure

Attachments

• UTC O Series.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yep I'm switching C4 to adjust bass response and replacing R4/R8 with a 250K linear pot + 10k resistor for NFB control.
I just finished one channel of the sa70 circuit and read this post. The negative feedback and high and low tilt eq's peaked my interest.

I was wondering if you could detail how you connected the NFB control in the circuit of your attached schematic. Just wondering where you connected the 250pot pins and the 10k resistor to achieve the adjustable control.

Thanks,
Nate

I just finished one channel of the sa70 circuit and read this post. The negative feedback and high and low tilt eq's peaked my interest.

I was wondering if you could detail how you connected the NFB control in the circuit of your attached schematic. Just wondering where you connected the 250pot pins and the 10k resistor to achieve the adjustable control.

Thanks,
Nate
Hi Nate,
Here is a rough updated/cobbled together schematic that shows the layout I use. I want to preface I'm somewhat of a novice, so others may have better perspectives or tweaks to what I'm sharing.

The pot is a 250k linear pot. The bass control is on a 6 position make before break switch. I haven't implemented the high end/treble control as of yet. I found the bass and negative feedback control gave me what I was looking for. Gates SA70 Downbeat.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a rough updated/cobbled together schematic that shows the layout I use.
(y) Yes, that's a good recipe, that's how I build my Gates SA70 style amps too, with a small addition. I always have one position on the capacitor switch with no contact, so that the negative feedback is completely switched off. I like it, depending on the source.

Latest posts

Back