Input impedance of a driver circuit for “VU” magic band level indicator?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi guys, I'm currently working on a circuit board for EM84 indicator tubes that will function as a pseudo VU meter at preamp level.
Screenshot 2024-06-06 at 22-03-31 EasyEDA(Standard) - A Simple and Powerful Electronic Circuit...png

Here is the circuit, as you can see a transistor (and the voltage doubler) provides the adjustable signal gain to reach the -22V the EM84 needs for full scale.

EM84_Hrubesch_PCB.jpg

My basic consideration is that the input impedance of the driver circuit should be rather high in order not to load the amplifier circuit unnecessarily and to keep the THD low. Is that correct so far?

The circuit shown uses a BJT transistor such as a 9014 or BC549, which as far as I know have rather low input impedance. Wouldn't a JFET transistor be better?

What do you think?

Last edited:
The input impedance is approximately R1 in parallel with R2 in parallel with Q1 beta times R4. Assuming Q1 beta is over 100 then the input impedance will be a little less that 100K

Yes, a FET can give you a much higher input impedance but you could achieve a similar effect by bootstrapping Q1

Cheers

Ian

The input impedance is approximately R1 in parallel with R2 in parallel with Q1 beta times R4. Assuming Q1 beta is over 100 then the input impedance will be a little less that 100K

Yes, a FET can give you a much higher input impedance but you could achieve a similar effect by bootstrapping Q1

Cheers

Ian
Thank you Ian! I will test to what extent this makes a difference. My test setup is ready, I made the PCBs this morning and then assembled them over the day. Thanks to the "Ruud PSU" I was up and running quickly - everything seems to be working. I'll continue tomorrow... (y)

1000031578.jpg1000031580.jpg

Latest posts

Back