Interesting audio news

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought film was mixed on a bunch of S6’s these days. But to tell you the truth, I don’t really know what is used anymore.

“international film” is mixed on whatever.
Engulfed is more like it. They have a lot of cool software assets. I see the hardware aspect withering, as it is everywhere. A Harrison flava monitor controller?
The folks at Harrison are always accessible for whatever their customers need. That is a great fit with SSL.
Mike

I thought film was mixed on a bunch of S6’s these days. But to tell you the truth, I don’t really know what is used anymore.
Harrison does have it’s die hard users like Paul Massey. The big question is why? The best guess is going for post. So makes a person wonder what’s up the sleeve.

Harrison certainly had a great name back in the 70s if only for their engineering prowess. For a time we had Art Schubert from Harrison in residence at Neve. At that time, Neve still had the instrumentation company manufacturing philosophy. We weren't even using flow soldering for the PCBs. It was Art who dragged Neve kicking and screaming into the 20th century.

Cheers

ian

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I really like Harrison and SSL, but on the other, I am afraid that the Harrison products will either become more expensive, or Harrison will become the "prosumer" (sort of speak) side brand of SSL. Also, this means that there are less and less of the old brands still independent nowadays. Lets hope it all goes well.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I really like Harrison and SSL, but on the other, I am afraid that the Harrison products will either become more expensive, or Harrison will become the "prosumer" (sort of speak) side brand of SSL. Also, this means that there are less and less of the old brands still independent nowadays. Lets hope it all goes well.
At current, despite change in ownership, both brands are operating as their own entities. What lies in the future may change but for now, it’s business as usual.

...From brand to brand ?

MCI, Harrison, SSL...

next ?

cheers
MCI was so great, sad that Sony completely destroyed it. Talking to ex-MCI employees, they never forgave Sony after they fired Jeep Harned from his own company (that is not what you'll probably find in the Wikipedia page, but that is what they said happened). That was just vile, even for a massive company like Sony. Over a decade ago I contacted an ex-MCI employee to start an MCI forum (now defunct) which lasted for some years. His only request was "Absolutely no Sony talk on the forum", I agreed.

Last edited:
MCI was so great, sad that Sony completely destroyed it. Talking to ex-MCI employees, they never forgave Sony after they fired Jeep Harned from his own company (that is not what you'll probably find in the Wikipedia page, but that is what they said happened). That was just vile, even for a massive company like Sony. Over a decade ago I contacted an ex-MCI employee to start an MCI forum (now defunct) which lasted for some years. His only request was "Absolutely no Sony talk on the forum", I agreed.
Sony handled it as they handle everything else. Sadly it’s not the way to do things. Mci was great. Wish Sony would have continued that lineage.

I did a remote in a truck (Big Moe) on the east cost that had a MCI Sony 3000 console I believe. It had mic preamps that went to 500khz. You would get overload lights come on that meant the shielding on your mic cords were bad. The tech would replace them and all was well. It did sound very good. Also had plugin special API eq’s. 550 & 560. It was the beginning g of the end but still a nice console.

I did a remote in a truck (Big Moe) on the east cost that had a MCI Sony 3000 console I believe. It had mic preamps that went to 500khz. You would get overload lights come on that meant the shielding on your mic cords were bad. The tech would replace them and all was well. It did sound very good. Also had plugin special API eq’s. 550 & 560. It was the beginning g of the end but still a nice console.
Yeap, those 500 series API plug-ins were really nice.

API made the 212S and 550S. The S stood for Sony. The 212 was the mic pre from the 200 racks. The 550 was the 4 band 550B eq but for the Sony desk. I don’t recall a 560S module but Sony had a graphic eq option of their own.
The beauty of the 3000 consoles was the differs pre and eq options for the channel that you could swap. There was also the Avalon m3 and e3 mic pre and eq for the desk but they are a sear sound exclusive. The one with Avalon at sear sound studio C is by far one of, if not the best sounding desk I ever heard.

I see that the Lineage and 32C are no longer available. I am thinking they will make a more all in one appearance. Pres is a USB container. My fear is made in CHINA as some of SSL is made there as well.

Latest posts

Back