International Shipping Options

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

I'm in the US,  might open a white market thread down the road.  Wondering how people handle international shipping,  as I really have no experience with it.

What are the options,  post office,  other? Any flat rate options for small parts? What about customs?

Thanks for the help.

package send through the post office has a cheaper rate compared to couriers like DHL.
takes a long time (10-60 days) to reach the destination country.
handling also sucks, so avoid fragile items.
other than that, both are the same. they get the job done.
rate is mostly flat and don't change much if:
- package physical weight per 1kg. weigh more = rate goes up.
- package size.  for a large package which don't meet their standard size, they will ignore the actual physical weight, and calculate the rate based on volumetric weight. custom packaging usually ends up with volumetric weight rate, so beware.
- destination country.

different country, different custom regulations. the post office/courier will tell you more.

that's pretty much about it.

USPS International Priority Mail is good enough for sending non-urgent items in a bubble wrapped envelope (14-20 days to reach most South East Asia countries)

Depends what you are selling. I sell PCBs. It is far too complex to work out postage on a per order basis so I have a flat rate system; £2 for UK, £3 for Europe and £4 for rest of the world.  I send them all via the post office. On small orders you might make a few pence but you still need to pack it and label it and drive to the post office. On larger orders you lose money but you make more because you are selling more. You will find about 3% of parcels go astray but the UK post office compensates for up to £30  on its standard rates. One really big orders I pay extra  for insurance.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the input. I looked into USPS International Priority Mail, seems the best option but still kind of pricey.  About $24 for the smallest box to Canada and $34 other parts of the world. Perhaps UK has a less expensive post system.

john12ax7 said:
Thanks for the input. I looked into USPS International Priority Mail, seems the best option but still kind of pricey.  About $24 for the smallest box to Canada and $34 other parts of the world. Perhaps UK has a less expensive post system.

USPS International Priority Mail is insured and traceable.
So if you consider that, airline fuel cost, 6-10 days delivery time (in reality it's about 14-30 days to reach the designated post office for the rest of the world), along with the box size and maximum weight allowed, a $34 flat rate worldwide shipping fee is cheap.

Back