Donor body/headbasket/Capsule for authentic U87 internals?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawbee

Hello, first time poster. A while ago I got the maxmod 67 for my Neumann u87. I don’t love switching the internals out and I am wondering if anyone here knows of some parts I can put together to put the 87 internals in? Ie.. headbasket with capsule, body tube, and bottom cap.

I can’t afford a tlm 67 at the moment which is a perfect fit and the correct capsule.

I’m hoping since I see people make a ton of clones, there might be a couple good options out there.

I am not very knowledgeable with mic builds or anything so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

Thanks so much.

Chinese u87 1:1 clone with soloqueen k87? The parts are fully compatible with OEM.

Other option would be to order bottom cap, tube and headbasket seperately, however buying a broken u87 might be more cost effective.

Chinese u87 1:1 clone with soloqueen k87? The parts are fully compatible with OEM.

Other option would be to order bottom cap, tube and headbasket seperately, however buying a broken u87 might be more cost effective.
Thank you!! Looks like the capsule is perfect!!

Would this work?

Sorry I’m so new with this I’m not sure how to tell what will fit. I like the look of this. What else would I need to have the capsule installed ?

Would this work?

Sorry I’m so new with this I’m not sure how to tell what will fit. I like the look of this. What else would I need to have the capsule installed ?
let me check some things. either way, this is all going to be a bit expensive. $500 minimum to make a fully working mic if you have just the internals and rail assembly. the issue is that even the best clones have different plug thicknesses for the basket assembly. i think a real basket assembly works on a clone internal assembly, but not vice versa, which would be unfortunate for you.

Would this work?

That exact one won't work for sure i believe he meant this one.

Last edited:
the 'best' knock-off headbasket is close dimensionally and slightly different mesh and does not sound quite the same
the pins and sockets are also slightly different diameters so contacts will be stretched out when swapping between the real part and the phony.

let me check some things. either way, this is all going to be a bit expensive. $500 minimum to make a fully working mic if you have just the internals and rail assembly. the issue is that even the best clones have different plug thicknesses for the basket assembly. i think a real basket assembly works on a clone internal assembly, but not vice versa, which would be unfortunate for you.
Thank you so much

Was the old Rode NT2 smaller inside to fit the original boards?

The omni/cardioid switch could be changed to a 3 position one and the capsule inside isn't bad

Hello, first time poster. A while ago I got the maxmod 67 for my Neumann u87. I don’t love switching the internals out and I am wondering if anyone here knows of some parts I can put together to put the 87 internals in? Ie.. headbasket with capsule, body tube, and bottom cap.

I can’t afford a tlm 67 at the moment which is a perfect fit and the correct capsule.

I’m hoping since I see people make a ton of clones, there might be a couple good options out there.

I am not very knowledgeable with mic builds or anything so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

Thanks so much.
I usually have original k87 capsules(both vintage and new)

Latest posts

Back