iPhone App for Using with External Mics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey Folks,

Is there such thing as a good app and XLR adapter for use with iPhone 13? Mainly need for recording video on iPhone with outboard stereo mic. A manual gain adjustment is a must.

Best, M

I don't know about an app, but you could try the Rode I-XLR. Should work with self powered mics, and it has a 3.5mm jack for monitoring. Is there a reason you need the mic to go directly into the iPhone? Deity's HD-TX plug right into an XLR port on a mic and can provide phantom power, though I don't know how many channels it can record.

You could try plugging an iRig Pre 2 into a 3.5mm to lightning adapter. I've actually had good success using a USB A to USB C OTG cable and plugging a Behringer UMC202HD into my Android phones. I assume the same is possible with the right app on iOS.

This app might work https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aum-audio-mixer/id1055636344 it says you can connect multiple input audio interfaces, but I don't know if they just mean stuff made for iPhones.

Last edited:
Hey Folks,

Is there such thing as a good app and XLR adapter for use with iPhone 13? Mainly need for recording video on iPhone with outboard stereo mic. A manual gain adjustment is a must.

Best, M
The Zoom U-22, with an iOS Camera kit (Lightning to USB) works great (I have that). SweetWater is selling that for $50 right now. There are a couple of newer Zoom interfaces for a bit more with more XLR ports.

Were I in better shape right now, I'd offer to demo it for you, since I'm in the neighborhood (I live in West Jordan). I've just tested negative for COVID for the first day today, and have other problems -- which is why I'm not offering.

There are a couple of other Zoom interfaces that work with iOS - I'd suggest one of the ones with Batteries, like the Zoom AMS-24.

As far as apps - I'll have to check if the Mic "Just works" with when recording video with the normal camera app - I suspect it does. I know GarageBand works fine, as does the normal Voice Memos app.

If you really want to go nuts, I've read you can hook up some of the more value-ended Audio interfaces like the Focusrite Solo, 2i2, or Motu M2/M4 with an iPhone -- provided you use the same Lightning to USB device and a battery pack chained on a USB hub. I've tested out my Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen and my iPhone 12, and it works.

edit: I tested out the iOS camera app: "It just works" with the either XLR interfaces I've tried. So GarageBand, Voice Memos, the Camera (video) App - all work fine. GarageBand has a setting so you can record in 24-bit mode as well.

I suspect iOS in general just recognizes it as a generic microphone and uses it as such.

Last edited:
If you really want to go nuts, I've read you can hook up some of the more value-ended Audio interfaces like the Focusrite Solo, 2i2, or Motu M2/M4 with an iPhone -- provided you use the same Lightning to USB device
I've done this with Behringer stuff on Android. Pretty much just make sure you have USB to lightning (or Micro or USB C if on Android), and then find an app that's compatible. Of course some sort of external battery is definitely a plus as long as it doesn't get in the way of filming on the phone. I don't think it has to be cheap interfaces either, as long as the app is compatible.

I've done this with Behringer stuff on Android. Pretty much just make sure you have USB to lightning (or Micro or USB C if on Android), and then find an app that's compatible. Of course some sort of external battery is definitely a plus as long as it doesn't get in the way of filming on the phone. I don't think it has to be cheap interfaces either, as long as the app is compatible.
With iPhones, the phone will refuse connect if the device draws too much power. I've seen some reviews the Zoom AMS-22 (which does not have its own batteries), and the reviewer stated that his Android devices similarly refused to connect. (He was bummed it needed a hub/battery pack).

That review is why I skipped the AMS-22 and mentioned the AMS-24, which you can insert a couple of AA batteries into.

My biggest complaint with the Zoom U-22 is that it's bulky - it's almost as big as the Focusrite 2i2 and while I haven't cracked it open yet, I'm sure it's almost entirely full of air. That said, it can be had for $50.

Thank you for your input! The AMS 24 looks like a fit... just a bit bulky... The main question is how make it work with iPhone video, so the level is regulated not with automatic level control within iPhone, but adjasted externally (i.e. ALC should be defeated).

Best, M

Back