Ironic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Now that my knee is too bad to play basketball (besides me being too old) I have no need to drive the 50 miles round trip once a week for my regular pick-up game, and now I shop for food once a week at a closer store only 8 miles away.... but it turns out that may not be enough running time to keep my car battery topped off and happy..

So thinking outside the box, for such a modest weekly mileage perhaps an aging EV might be affordable and green solution...

The first website I tried revealed some 2011 nissan leafs at a price that didn't make me queasy (less than the rebate on a new EV). Now for the irony... The several that were for sale were all located way beyond the EV's 80 mile range away from me, either 2x or 3x that older leaf's range.  ::) I guess EVs are not that popular in Hickory MS.

That was only my first attempt at investigation but I thought it was a little ironic.  8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Now that my knee is too bad to play basketball (besides me being too old) I have no need to drive the 50 miles round trip once a week for my regular pick-up game, and now I shop for food once a week at a closer store only 8 miles away.... but it turns out that may not be enough running time to keep my car battery topped off and happy..

One chore around here, is the monthly topoff of batteries in many vehicles, everything and anyything with a 12 volt lead-acid battery. Scooters, jump chargers, lawnmower, many cars and trucks. 15V float in the summer, 15.5V in the winter. There are four suitable chargers here of different amps, pick the one that is suitable. The 2700AH bank of three in the Cat diesel gets the big charger. This is above and beyond the trucks that have solar panels that run vent fans, where the surplus goes to the battery through a diode. Batteries here always outlast their warranty, I can generally get 9-10 years out of them. One went 22 years.

The first website I tried revealed some 2011 nissan leafs at a price that didn't make me queasy (less than the rebate on a new EV). Now for the irony... The several that were for sale were all located way beyond the EV's 80 mile range away from me, either 2x or 3x that older leaf's range.  ::) I guess EVs are not that popular in Hickory MS.

Perhaps rent a bumper to bumper tow bar, drive the mustang there, hook up, and drag your prey home. Or have a ball hitch put on the mustang, rent half a towbar, and drag it home. A long-term investment for next time you have to drag a zero-radius-lawnmower out of the mud.  :D

Or get a ride there, and buy a generator that fits in the trunk to recharge. Many stops for awhile each charge, but a fun road trip. Done an adventurous road trips lately? Might be just what the doctor ordered.

Gene

Gene Pink said:
One chore around here, is the monthly topoff of batteries in many vehicles, everything and anyything with a 12 volt lead-acid battery. Scooters, jump chargers, lawnmower, many cars and trucks. 15V float in the summer, 15.5V in the winter. There are four suitable chargers here of different amps, pick the one that is suitable. The 2700AH bank of three in the Cat diesel gets the big charger. This is above and beyond the trucks that have solar panels that run vent fans, where the surplus goes to the battery through a diode. Batteries here always outlast their warranty, I can generally get 9-10 years out of them. One went 22 years.
I invested in a smart battery charger...(they named it genius so have high expectations). I was momentarily tempted to design one using a micro, but quickly figured I could buy one for <$40 in a slick package with the bugs already worked out.  Only 1A charging current, but all I need is trickle to refresh.

Right now I am still experimenting to test/confirm my thesis. I plan to measure the battery voltage before and after my typical shopping trip. This week I need to stop and buy gas, so it will be 3 starts with only about 16 miles of driving . If my speculation is correct the battery will not be fully restored from that modest trip mileage.

Perhaps rent a bumper to bumper tow bar, drive the mustang there, hook up, and drag your prey home. Or have a ball hitch put on the mustang, rent half a towbar, and drag it home. A long-term investment for next time you have to drag a zero-radius-lawnmower out of the mud.  :D
and get my car stuck in the yard....
Or get a ride there, and buy a generator that fits in the trunk to recharge. Many stops for awhile each charge, but a fun road trip. Done an adventurous road trips lately? Might be just what the doctor ordered.

Gene
I am not interested in that much and that kind of adventure, while it would be an intimate introduction to that EV.

I suspect an 80 mile car with a 40 mile battery would sell really cheap and still work for me, even if I have to trailer it home.

JR

Back