Is current in USA any different?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaquins

There is a neutrik connector powerCON that is rated as "16A (USA: 20A)" Little wired for me...

http://www.neutrik.com/en/audio/powercon/powercon/powercon-true1/nac3fx-w

JS

Maybe 20A rated current for 120Vac voltage and 16A for 250Vac?

... hmm no, from the connector photo in the IP test report, it shows 16A/250V for VDE and 20A/250V for UL rating

Like Gallons, we make our Amperes 25% smaller than yours!!  ;)

The difference is surely paper-work.

They have to pick a number to test to.

In 230V lands the everyday plug is good for 13A or 16A.

In 115V lands we need more current and 20A connectors are widely used.

So there is probably a Euro-Spec for testing 16A connectors, and a USA spec for testing 20A connectors.

PRR said:
In 230V lands the everyday plug is good for 13A or 16A.

In 115V lands we need more current and 20A connectors are widely used.

So there is probably a Euro-Spec for testing 16A connectors, and a USA spec for testing 20A connectors.
The 13A plug is only in former colonies that stuck to Blighty standards .. eg Singapore & HK.

Other colonials dreamt up their own plug like Oz.

I'm not sure the Rebel Colonial (US) plug would be considered 20A by British Standards.

ricardo said:
I'm not sure the Rebel Colonial (US) plug would be considered 20A by British Standards.

They're not.. I think the Edison plug is only rated for something like 15A.

Branches may be fused at 20A to service more than one plug.

JR

The vast majority of US outlets and plugs are 15A.

There is a similar-but-different 20A design. I know because I have cut these off and installed 15A plugs when the load isn't really 20A, or if I will not be around when the fire starts.

While we maybe should use 15A circuit fuses for general things, you don't see anything but 20A circuits anymore. And duplex 15A outlets may (or may not!) be rated 20A pass-through.

Since the Neutrik is probably much better built than the 2-prong plug, it is reasonable they would test to the 20A standard.

BTW: while the screw-lamp can be ascribed to Edison, I do not think the 2-prong plug can. Plugs and outlets came much later than lamp sockets and there were multiple designs. It is not clear that the "standard" plug has any authority.

PRR said:
The vast majority of US outlets and plugs are 15A.

There is a similar-but-different 20A design. I know because I have cut these off and installed 15A plugs when the load isn't really 20A, or if I will not be around when the fire starts.

While we maybe should use 15A circuit fuses for general things, you don't see anything but 20A circuits anymore. And duplex 15A outlets may (or may not!) be rated 20A pass-through.

Since the Neutrik is probably much better built than the 2-prong plug, it is reasonable they would test to the 20A standard.

BTW: while the screw-lamp can be ascribed to Edison, I do not think the 2-prong plug can. Plugs and outlets came much later than lamp sockets and there were multiple designs. It is not clear that the "standard" plug has any authority.

I've seen those here, but never knew why, just thinking twice...

JS

The USA "Edison" plug is rated for 15A but can handle more. They make other versions with the pins turned sideways for higher currents and different voltages.  I think that the 15A limitation is about limiting the current into actual device and likely associated wiring, allowing thinner lamp wires and such.

My understanding is that the 15A Edison rating is about acceptable temperature rise due to contact resistance between plug blade and outlet contact. I have experienced plugs and outlets getting hot at far lower current than 15A.

The 20A amp branch fuse/breaker is about wire size and temp rise in that. 

JR

Kingston said:
I read the topic too quickly as "Is the current USA any different?" and expected a political debate.
The politics these days is not worthy of debate... My local senate primary did not get 50% so there will be a run-off... I am insulted by the lowest common denominator nature of political arguments down here, but I've come to expect that living in MS.

JR

Back