Is There A Mod For Studio Projects-B-3..?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just another K67 based mic right? I think you can add a couple components for the high frequency roll off. If you've already changed the capsule, you're gonna be changing the circuit. If you haven't changed the capsule, that might be a good upgrade depending on the sound you're after.

Microphone-Parts for the C3 model adds a new PCB to do that, but I'm pretty sure you could easily just add the capacitors and resistors (or whatever you need) to the board, or just use a perf board.

Last edited:
It's just another K67 based mic right? I think you can add a couple components for the high frequency roll off. If you've already changed the capsule, you're gonna be changing the circuit. If you haven't changed the capsule, that might be a good upgrade depending on the sound you're after.

Microphone-Parts for the C3 model adds a new PCB to do that, but I'm pretty sure you could easily just add a capacitor or two to the board.
Hello..Thanks for the reply..Yes I think its a K67 cap..

I think @RuudNL, @kingkorg, or @Khron would have an idea of what to do to it. Or you can read this and search the forum:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/797-hf-schoeps-de-emphasis.44562/#post-970205
Personally I'd just throw a good flat K47 or "M7" (K47 with a flat M7-esque response) in there, or a good Chinese edge terminated capsule depending on the sound you want, though the latter might not be much of an improvement, unless you get a dark one like 3U Audio's Warbler MKIVD capsule. The only real difference I can think of is that the edge terminated one might be darker in figure 8. Though I'd also consider selling the B3 and getting something like an MXL 2010 or another cheap LDC with a more conventional body and grille. Or a used AKG Perception 420 (or new iSK BM-600 if they're still available) as those already have the high frequency de-emphasis you're probably looking for. Then you pretty much just have to change the capacitor value.

You're being a bit vague on what you want improved. Do you want a darker/more neutral mic? Do you want lower self noise? Do you want higher SPL? As far as I can tell it's generally a solid mic if the advertised specs are accurate. Either you need to add to or build a new circuit or change the capsule for a different sound.

I think @RuudNL, @kingkorg, or @Khron would have an idea of what to do to it. Or you can read this and search the forum:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/797-hf-schoeps-de-emphasis.44562/#post-970205
Personally I'd just throw a good flat K47 or "M7" (K47 with a flat M7-esque response) in there, or a good Chinese edge terminated capsule depending on the sound you want, though the latter might not be much of an improvement, unless you get a dark one like 3U Audio's Warbler MKIVD capsule. The only real difference I can think of is that the edge terminated one might be darker in figure 8. Though I'd also consider selling the B3 and getting something like an MXL 2010 or another cheap LDC with a more conventional body and grille. Or a used AKG Perception 420 (or new iSK BM-600 if they're still available) as those already have the high frequency de-emphasis you're probably looking for. Then you pretty much just have to change the capacitor value.

You're being a bit vague on what you want improved. Do you want a darker/more neutral mic? Do you want lower self noise? Do you want higher SPL? As far as I can tell it's generally a solid mic if the advertised specs are accurate. Either you need to add to or build a new circuit or change the capsule for a different sound.
Hello..Thanks for the reply..I'm basically looking for a " smoother " high end response..It's a decent mic but as the story go with these type mics, it's a little hash at times..

Hello..Thanks for the reply..I'm basically looking for a " smoother " high end response..It's a decent mic but as the story go with these type mics, it's a little hash at times..
You're either gonna have to build the high frequency roll off like the U87 has, or install a darker capsule. Your options for the really common capsules are a K47 or M7 type, a CK12 type, or one of the darker K67s.

Brass ring CK12 copies are expensive, and the good Chinese edge terminated capsules sound good, but might not be a huge improvement. You could also try an AKG C414 capsule replacement like the XLS capsule, or the B-ULS capsule but that seems harder to find now. 3U Audio makes a darker edge terminated capsule, not dark like a teflon AKG one, but a bit less hyped than most Chinese ones, it's the one in their Warbler MKIVD.

I can't really recommend a K47 one, because I don't really know which ones are good, I've only tried the RK47 which I'm not sure I like. The 3U Audio ones are supposed to be dark though (the MKIID one). Might be an option if you don't want to add components to the circuit for roll off. There are other flat K47s from China, I don't know who makes them.

The only "flat" K67 I know of is from 3U Audio, but other companies definitely make them.

I'd definitely reach out to 3U Audio about getting a cheap good capsule. Or ask someone on here to help you source from China, that way you're paying $30-50 vs $150+.

Companies I'd avoid are Maiku (may just be reskinned 3U Audio capsules), Peluso, and Microphone-Parts.

You're either gonna have to build the high frequency roll off like the U87 has, or install a darker capsule. Your options for the really common capsules are a K47 or M7 type, a CK12 type, or one of the darker K67s.

Brass ring CK12 copies are expensive, and the good Chinese edge terminated capsules sound good, but might not be a huge improvement. You could also try an AKG C414 capsule replacement like the XLS capsule, or the B-ULS capsule but that seems harder to find now. 3U Audio makes a darker edge terminated capsule, not dark like a teflon AKG one, but a bit less hyped than most Chinese ones, it's the one in their Warbler MKIVD.

I can't really recommend a K47 one, because I don't really know which ones are good, I've only tried the RK47 which I'm not sure I like. The 3U Audio ones are supposed to be dark though (the MKIID one). Might be an option if you don't want to add components to the circuit for roll off. There are other flat K47s from China, I don't know who makes them.

The only "flat" K67 I know of is from 3U Audio, but other companies definitely make them.

I'd definitely reach out to 3U Audio about getting a cheap good capsule. Or ask someone on here to help you source from China, that way you're paying $30-50 vs $150+.

Companies I'd avoid are Maiku (may just be reskinned 3U Audio capsules), Peluso, and Microphone-Parts.
Hello..Thanks again for your reply and recommendations..!..I'll give these a looking into...

Back