Is this true?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Up for sale is a Yamaha M1532 Mixing Console which is an API clone from the late 70's early 80's and has the same preamp and eq characteristics. This series of console is famous for its amazing discrete op amp and high quality hand wired design, that was designed after yamaha's design team reverse engineered the API consoles from the 70s era. This console spent most of its life in a church and was boughten by myself for recording using its legendary pres and eqs. The channels have channel outs on every channel and 2 switchable XLRs ins. The fully analog console channels are full removable and the internals are all hardwired. I WOULD NOT be selling it if I wasn't getting married and in need of cash. Everything works perfectly except 2 of the meters and the last 2 channels, but being hand wired, it would be a very easy fix. Sorry about the poor looking pics, it really does look great in person. Please feel free to email me with any questions. Comes with external power supply rack, table, and black velvet table cloth. Pickup only, unless buyer arranges pickup and shipment. Thanks for your interest!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260281596699&SID=P11S1007i

I will not claim to be an expert, and I have not used any of these consoles (we had one of the old Tascams back when I did video stuff in college). I do seem to recall, however, that one particular line of Yamaha consoles had a mic preamp circuit that was basically a clone of the API one. That does not mean the entire console was a clone, though. I also can't recall which particular Yamaha line it was.

Please take this information for what it's worth, ie, nothing, and wait for a real expert to come along.

It's worth more if it's said to be like or close to something better.

He should add this at the bottom:

Therefore it's a API with a yamaha sticker. Actually it's so damm good of a mixer, API scrapped all prior designs and copied its design for there consoles from that point forward. So know that you know this I must, sell you the console or kill you.

Well there is a Yamaha opamp with the same pin configuration
as the 25*20 , fed by a Japanse input xfmr , used in Yamaha mixers
is that where the simularity ends ?

I've got a couple could trade you

Baltimore had send me a yami doa to trace but i haven't gotten to it yet
if people say the American Neve , they could well say the Japanese A.P.I.

I'd think people here would have been all over it , if it were true ,
KHstudio though seems to have good experience with the
Yamaha PM 1000 's though

[quote author="sonicmook56"]I would think the engineers over at yamaha would have better things to do than reverse engineer a console and build a clone of it.[/quote]

Engineers at Roland certainly had the time to reverse engineer a Moog and put its filter inside their synths. This was in 70's and the model was SH-1000, IIRC. Later on Moog made some noise about this and Roland developed their own VCF..

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]It must be true if it's on the internet... :roll:

JR[/quote]

Get it right, it's the 'internets' :wink:

[quote author="Consul"][quote author="wtmnmf"]Get it right, it's the 'internets' :wink:[/quote]

Wrong again. It's the Interblag![/quote]

Wrong again.

It's the "disinformation superhighway" :green:

[quote author="wtmnmf"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]It must be true if it's on the internet... :roll:

JR[/quote]

Get it right, it's the 'internets' :wink:[/quote]
Both wrong it's the "interweb" :green:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-M1532-32-Ch-Recording-Console/121205231278?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D18058%26meid%3D2431359049053423939%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D8304%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D190937741026%26

I was wondering where this seller got that "info"

Yamaha made the PM1000 which is said to be a Neve clone. The only similarities  between the yamaha and the Neve is the fact the mic pre was made with discrete transistors and other then that, it's not a neve. People call them the poor mans neve. I don't know about the yamaha 1532 but the yamaha PM2000 is said to be the Yamaha copy of an API. Much like the 1000 it has similar characteristics to the ones people claim was cloned. The pm2000 has a Discrete opamp design that has the same pinout to the API 2520 but other then that, nothing API about it. So it has a input transformer and a DOA so I guess that means it's a clone? The pm2000 is said to be a poor mans API. That being said, they are nice sound consoles.

schem of PM1000 at least are on the web, I have them but I think they aren't hard to find, I don't know PM2000 nor M1532, it's just matter of put one scheme next to the other and find the difference and similarities... and no doubd around, yamaha DOA aren't 2520 but maybe could be replaced with something better if the design around them is nice...

JS

joaquins said:
schem of PM1000 at least are on the web, I have them but I think they aren't hard to find, I don't know PM2000 nor M1532, it's just matter of put one scheme next to the other and find the difference and similarities... and no doubd around, yamaha DOA aren't 2520 but maybe could be replaced with something better if the design around them is nice...

JS

The M1532 schematics are on the web. Nothing even close to an API about it minus the DOA. The Yamaha DOA's actually sound excellent, but the rest of the circuitry is rubbish! I believe the Mic pre on the M1532 is based around the DOA and the EQ/aux sends use 4558's.

iampoor1 said:
joaquins said:

JS

The M1532 schematics are on the web. Nothing even close to an API about it minus the DOA. The Yamaha DOA's actually sound excellent, but the rest of the circuitry is rubbish! I believe the Mic pre on the M1532 is based around the DOA and the EQ/aux sends use 4558's.

then take out the DOA and change all the rest... : ???

Back