Is wiring capacitance affect sound coloration of 1073/1081?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilya

I've watched the Pensado video the other day and there was a guy from BAE talking about their Neve replicas. What confused the heck out of me was the following: he stressed that for replica to sound the same it should be wired exactly the same way because of wiring capacitance that affects the sound.

I wonder if that's really that important. My gut feeling is that not that much, but I'd love to hear others opinions on this.

He also mentioned that they use silver loaded solder. Anyone's take on that as well?

The TRANSFORMERS have to be wound -and wired- the same way.

Yes, certainly. Stray capacitance is a big issue.

Short lengths of interconnect... not so much.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I was wondering if stray capacitance of such short wiring looms affected the sound. BAE also claims that they used the same wire and this also has to do with how the modules sound.
Now, does that really make any difference at all???

It does for the marketing department.

It was just RS 7 strand hookup wire IIRC.  "The same" today is still different in the copper/tin/insulation composition.  At the least the strands and insulation are thinner.
The looming in those modules is quite tight, and a build might sound different if done with ribbon cable, but think about the looms- if it were really the case that the capacitance between the wires for say the HMF EQ switch was part of the circuit then you would have to build every loom with exactly the same position order of wires, which they totally did not do back in the day.  There was strict QC and you can see slight differences depending on the people (lasses in Scotland) doing the work.
Mike

Sounds like another way to justify higher prices. Never trust a businessman's claims when selling his own product.

Of course, now everyone on Ebay will be including "original wire" with their 1073s and charging 500$ more.  :p

If these were high impedance circuits, wire could become critical.  I don't believe these qualify.

Latest posts

Back