Neve 1073/1084 original wiring

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KDE said:
Complete Neve head over here  ;D

To answer your question Neve used Canford Wire for all there wiring its been pretty well documented.

Really? Canford is 36 years old. It started as a one man band in 1977. Neve started in 1961. I was there in the 70s and Canford's name never came up.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for all the info so far guys,

I could see why having a Neve tech look over it makes sense but that's not gonna happen. For 1 it's too expensive I can't afford that, that's why I built these clones. For 2 I'm allot more interested figuring out why it doesn't sound like my AMS modules instead of having a tech just fix it and say I'm good to go.

Being that the circuit is the same and most of the components are the same as well, the problem must lie in the transformers as stated by AMS and the wiring as stated by BAE. Other common clone mistakes would be as James stated, selecting a full bandwidth 3N2055 probably a NOS Motorolla since that's what was used. And using a AP to bias the power on the output, I actually have access to a AP and that's how I biased my units.

I guess I'll start with switching out the transformers. It's probably an obvious reason Avedis has his own custom transformers on the MA5 and Vintech has custom transformers as well. Lastly Geoff has custom transformers made for His products so I think it would be safe to say the regular Carnhills being sold to the public are not satisfactory. Witch must mean AMS wasn't bs'ing about having their transformers being would to a spec that Neve and only Neve have access to. Witch is strange because I've seen data sheets...

I see AMS has transformers for sell on their website. I wonder if it these are the "special" ones?

Aaron did you ever heard the EZ1084 from our friend Bluzzi?
YOu should take a look its only eq though!

Good luck!

Hi,

Nope I haven't got a chance to check all the R values between the original schematic and the one from Neve. My EZ has all the values suggested in the schematic. I also didn't use BC electrolytics like the vintage units used but I don't think that would affect the sound very much.... However I could be wrong.

I did measure both of my units in RoomEQ Wizard when I first built them and the phase and frequency response is perfectly flat 20hz to 20khz there is a ever so slight phase shift down at 20hz but barley noticeable. I also checked for ringing with a 500hz square wave and a scope and ringing is minimal. I will post pictures

What different R values did you find?

I am going to re record samples since my EQ was engaged.

Okay here is a vocal sample EQ flat with gain at 50dB

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/qlcip1v22pppf6o/EZ1073%2520Sample.mp3

Also attached the frequency response and phase.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB
ruffrecords said:
KDE said:
Complete Neve head over here  ;D

To answer your question Neve used Canford Wire for all there wiring its been pretty well documented.

Really? Canford is 36 years old. It started as a one man band in 1977. Neve started in 1961. I was there in the 70s and Canford's name never came up.

my mistake

jrowell said:
Neve originally used NEK wire, the company that made it was bought by Canford and the Canford FST wire is quite close. Not exact, it is stiffer but is very close.

Aaronrash said:
I also didn't use BC electrolytics like the vintage units used but I don't think that would affect the sound very much.... However I could be wrong.

Actually, I was going to mention caps....  I did not care for the BC capacitors.  I understand they are close, or even the same as , many of the originals used by the N company.  And everyone may have a different preference.  If you want the authentic "vintage vibe" for better or worse, then you should try the BCs.  I tried other modern caps and preferred all of them over the BCs.  The caps in these circuits do play a role in the character, IMHO. 

Geoff T has also talked about increasing the size of some of these caps to improve low end.  You might look into that. 

Furthermore, I notice the ez1073 kit includes all caps of one generic flavor if I'm not mistaken, for all positions, including the tants.  We don't know what these caps are -- so trying other caps may make some difference. 

Also, if you want to go the traditional route then you'll want to put trants in the original tant positions -- something Geoff T also recommends.  And using the BCs.  (I personally prefer quality electros in the tant positions, an approach favored by Neve tech John Klett.) 

In any case don't overlook the capacitors.  They are part of the seasoning in the sauce. 

Hey everyone,

So a little update. James, the head tech at Sound Service Electronics has helped me tremendously at getting my 1073s back on track

lol, I just read this thread and its such a cliff hanger, I had to bring it back.

No one touched the subject of his psu and how he was powering his units.

I have not built a EZ1290 but I would imagine that the input is 1200ohm load.. if he wired his own stepped pot as this could load the impedance of the input transformer and result in 600ohm or 300ohm load on the mic instead of 1200 he may be used to hearing in AMS unit.

I just got done converting my vintage 1272 ( Marinair 10468 / LO 1166A / B183 w original axial tants and transistors)

Janco Burbank 12 step pot and wired it as per JLM hotrod schematic.

Recapped the electro's with panasonics

Drilled hole and Relocated the attenuator