It’s a generational thing rant.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like this guy sucks and he should be guided so he can learn or fired if he won't but what do i know

Made me think of:
3PVkRRs.jpg

Sounds like each of you relied on a set of values to get at some dopamine. :) Pride in one's work/accuracy comes from a sense of ownership, I imagine. That can be a hard thing to transfer to a young assistant.

Last edited:
Sounds like this guy sucks and he should be guided so he can learn or fired if he won't but what do i know
You are right. He should be guided. However hard to guide someone who wants to argue about filming for Instagram vs working. Like anything else in life in order to do things you have to want to do things. Much like addicts, etc they won’t get clean if they don’t want to. Like anything else I do, I don’t hide secrets or hold info, but I also don’t give it away, ask nicely and I’ll show you all I can. Do your job and I’ll help you when you are struggling. But you have to put forth some effort here.

Made me think of:
3PVkRRs.jpg

Sounds like each of you relied on a set of values to get at some dopamine. :) Pride in one's work/accuracy comes from a sense of ownership, I imagine. That can be a hard thing to transfer to a young assistant.
Well he has the pride part down in that he wants to pridefully boast about doing the job but doesn’t really do a job worth boasting about. More over like I said before, you are hired and there are expectations of your work. You best deliver as expected or there is no point to hire you.😉

My take :

Vanity and self promotion have always been a thing. So far so obvious. But social media has exposed this vacuous side of human nature more starkly than before.

Social media has made it far easier to create these little performances, and - most crucially - this kind of OTT self promotion is no longer taboo. Not only is it normal now, but people expect others to do it and there's a willing audience who lap it up.

The idea that the young in this particular generation are somehow more vain, more vacuous, more self centred, lazier etc is untrue. They're more locked into it - that's natural because they grew up with it. But, for anyone who's familiar with the website LinkedIn, a quick glance on there shows plenty of shallow self promotion, personal brand bullshit and other nonsense from people of all ages, demographics, career types.

There were just as many shallow, shameless self promoters 1000 years ago as there are today. The difference is how visible they are.

My take :

Vanity and self promotion have always been a thing. So far so obvious. But social media has exposed this vacuous side of human nature more starkly than before.

Social media has made it far easier to create these little performances, and - most crucially - this kind of OTT self promotion is no longer taboo. Not only is it normal now, but people expect others to do it and there's a willing audience who lap it up.

The idea that the young in this particular generation are somehow more vain, more vacuous, more self centred, lazier etc is untrue. They're more locked into it - that's natural because they grew up with it. But, for anyone who's familiar with the website LinkedIn, a quick glance on there shows plenty of shallow self promotion, personal brand bullshit and other nonsense from people of all ages, demographics, career types.

There were just as many shallow, shameless self promoters 1000 years ago as there are today. The difference is how visible they are.
Fair point.

When did internet influencer become a career goal?

JR
When such internet influencer makes more money by doing stupid things on video than the hard-working class can. I could mention some (plenty actually, spread across the world), but if you open YouTube and the video title is in the tone of "I DID SOMETHING FOR AN INSANE AMOUNT OF MONEY" then you know who they are.

My take :

I agree. I read an article about vandals who had systematically uprooted saplings planted in a new town. As usual the 'youth of today' were blamed. The article was written in 1908

I joined LinkedIn many years ago because I hoped it would be a more civilised version of Facebook. In the last couple of years it has gone rapidly downhill in exactly the manner you describe. It seems inevitable that all social media ends up this way.

Cheers

Ian

I guess humanity stays pretty much the same since ancient times (as can be seen with the compassion for
yelling at clouds;)).
What is different in recent generations is the exposure to media especially the marketing/exploitation BS and the lack of "cultural continuity". Everything is changing so quick, not only tech, also society. Securities and belief systems ring hollow because they seem to have lost their foundations. No time to grow some roots...either sell yourself quick for good money or better get some medication- Recently I was told by a 15 yo "I don´t understand kids anymore nowadays!":)

But really I find young people need guidance and even clashing with more experienced humans quite urgently, all this influencer rubbish is there because people (and not only young) are desperatly searching for guidance and not getting any or only self serving phony phrases (generally, not meaning Pucho here, that Insta-tech-guy maybe just 🦥 and that´s certainly not generational)

My take :

Partly true.
This is the problem.
The idea that the young in this particular generation are somehow more vain, more vacuous, more self centred, lazier etc is untrue.
Disagree.
They're more locked into it - that's natural because they grew up with it.
Parents allow their children to be exposed to this crappola when they are impressionable/immature. The point being that it is unhealthy to "grow up with it." Look at the psych studies on the negative influence that social media has on young people.

But, for anyone who's familiar with the website LinkedIn, a quick glance on there shows plenty of shallow self promotion, personal brand bullshit and other nonsense from people of all ages, demographics, career types.
I've been on LinkedIn since the first year or so of its existence. It once was a good professional networking utility. There was no more "self-promotion" than is typical in any job search (distasteful as it may be, you do have to sell yourself to some degree to build your career). After FB took over the world, LinkedIn went full copycat and it has sucked worse and worse every year since. Thankfully I'm retired and no longer need to use LinkedIn, though I sometimes reconnect with old work colleagues through it.

Disagree. By exposing our youth to this "lifestyle" from a young age we are promoting shallow vanity as acceptable, even desirable. We are increasing the number of shameless self-promoters and their shallow followers. The technology amplifier effect is not just making this behavior more visible, it is increasing the participation rate. This will have large negative ramifications for western society for decades to come.

I joined LinkedIn many years ago because I hoped it would be a more civilised version of Facebook. In the last couple of years it has gone rapidly downhill in exactly the manner you describe. It seems inevitable that all social media ends up this way.

Cheers

Ian
Linked in started out a straight professional networking site (I too am a member).... in 2016 Microsoft (big tech) bought LinkedIn for $26B because they thought it was worth more. I submit Microsoft's efforts to monetize LinkedIn has caused the observed deterioration.

JR
I've been on LinkedIn since the first year or so of its existence. It once was a good professional networking utility. There was no more "self-promotion" than is typical in any job search (distasteful as it may be, you do have to sell yourself to some degree to build your career). After FB took over the world, LinkedIn went full copycat and it has sucked worse and worse every year since. Thankfully I'm retired and no longer need to use LinkedIn, though I sometimes reconnect with old work colleagues through it.

Today gets better.
Get a call that the wee one is not coming in due to food poisoning. He’ll be active over email, that he will let me know if I need to address something of his and only do so if asked…

Wtf? Seems like talking down to me and trying to protect any work he has. Since we are on the same team, that doesn’t fly with me.

Disagree. By exposing our youth to this "lifestyle" from a young age we are promoting shallow vanity as acceptable, even desirable. We are increasing the number of shameless self-promoters and their shallow followers. The technology amplifier effect is not just making this behavior more visible, it is increasing the participation rate. This will have large negative ramifications for western society for decades to come.

Shallow vanity has always been acceptable, even desirable, amongst a significant portion of people of all demographics. Desire for social status has enabled humans to be evolutionarily successful.

Only the tools have changed.

Today gets better.
Get a call that the wee one is not coming in due to food poisoning. He’ll be active over email, that he will let me know if I need to address something of his and only do so if asked…

Wtf? Seems like talking down to me and trying to protect any work he has. Since we are on the same team, that doesn’t fly with me.
Perhaps you should follow him on instagram?

We all hope he is OK, so we can hear what he does next.

JR

Shallow vanity has always been acceptable, even desirable, amongst a significant portion of people of all demographics. Desire for social status has enabled humans to be evolutionarily successful.
I can see a massive difference here in the US just in my lifetime. What we are experiencing now is not the same as before.

Only the tools have changed.
The tools have amplified more than the visibility. They've enabled narcissism on a massive scale.

Fair points. We should be also be willing to admit that the Internet is relatively new, potent, scalable, and is promoting and inhibiting personality traits in new, unforeseen ways.

I actually got a double take on what you said Pucho ,
I kinda read it as if he was saying if he had anything that he needed to address he was willing to listen ,
then I read it again , Jeeeeeeesus.

I agree on the point about the internet and social media being a driver of narcisistic type behaviours .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back