Jeff's ClassicAPI 312 kit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

I cannot say enough about how awesome the CLASSICAPI 312 Mic Pre Kit is. Blown away does not come close. I just wanna congratulate Jeff Steiger on a fantastic kit. My god am I in love with my 312. It sounds so wonderful.

I'm completely new to this. I sold my Mackie 32/channel 8 bus, to realise my dream of owning a completely API (ok homebuilt) front end (i.e. 51X 11 channel rackmount full of 312's, with some different flavour DOA's in it. That's the idea. I still have my lunchbox which will eventually be populated with a 312, 512c, 550a, 525 comp and so on. Possibly a Pultec as well. Selling my Mackie was a big deal, and to go the whole hog and sell my mainstay of my studio for what was essentially quite a big risk. Well, it was a big step for me.

Jeff's 312 took me 1.5 days to build, including the gar2520 opamp kit. (which is quite a tough little build for a first timer like me! God, painstaking stuff!). I am so impressed by the quality of the kit. The PCB is superb (and I mean superb) quality, the stuff

Fantastically packaged, amazing instructions and so well supported. Jeff is a good guy, always responded to my emails really promptly which was so helpful and reassuring. Its great to come to forum like this where people like Jeff are basically, well just encouraging of people to get into the scene.

I've AB'd it with my API 512C and frankly I think it sounds better. Bigger, more spacious and it seems more at home with both my SE3a and my Neumann TLM103 on my voice. Test recorded through it in my live room earlier today, using the 312 on the room and a straight 57 on the cab through the 512. The 312 just brought the room alive. I love the fact you can actually really properly hear the room through the 312. Everything that the big producers say about the 312 is true. It is so lovely sounding. So much character and sonic love.

I've gotta admit i was pretty intimidated when I opened the kit, but a big message to any newbies out there (and I am still one by the way!) is that it is possible to build these kits as a start point and if you take time and care and really think carefully you can achieve a great build with the help of great set ups like ClassicAPI.

Jeff, thanks again mate. I'm ordering another FOUR more pre's to be getting on with. They'll be bunged in my Lunchbox until my new 51X rack arrives (when the guys are ready anyway! My order will be in!!!). Can't Wait.

Thanks again to the main man Jeff, and to all you great folks on Prodigy Pro! I am now officially a Homebrew Gear Junkie!!!

New Soul Rebel (Matt)

Jeff's definitely top self and puts his heart and soul into these projects.  He has a passion for these projects and a respect for the history behind them.

I need to get one!

Mike

Back