JLM Baby Animal based DAW mixer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indigom

It begins:

progress in past 4 months, from layout to partial wiring:
http://analogaccess.com/pics_pics/DAW-Mixer-Design-Stages/2007_DiY_DAW_mixer_project

Channels 1-12 line in from audio interfaces.
These channels will all have Line Input transformers from Cinemag, and feature different discrete opamps from JLM, Millenia, John Hardy, and Forrsell 993s for the dual summing output channels; one for monitors, one for A/D.

Channels 13-16 mic pres with various transformers (OEP, JLM, Lundahl)
to be mounted on the back of the case with DIs

Notice screw up on nearly all of the LED meter boards, thanks to no silkscreen and not paying close enough attention during my "assembly line mode"

- cinemag trannys (CMLI-15/15BPC line input) will not fit on BA board and also allow DOA to be used.    I had some older Cinemag's that fit fine, so it was a bit of surprise that they didn't fit.  So I mounted them and resisters on their own boards.     Extra time and extra wiring mess which won't matter so long as this works and I get a nice pretty front panel for it!

- I can't drill straight holes.   : (

- I am about ready to test it and fine tune values to get unity gain on two channels then move on to the rest of them.

- Once it is working, I'll use LED meter boards from Roger Foote and the little power distribution thingy recommended by Joe (upper right hand corner, back of unit, point to point wired on breadboard) to supply the chips on it with acceptable voltage.

All the supply voltages going to each of the BAs is good, but if it doesn't work, I might need some help, guys!!  : )
Thanks and respect out to Joe, Roger, and Josh..

Update 2010; revamping this design and re-purposing the JLM BA's for individual pre-amp builds.  Getting the 16 JLM boards to play together well in the box with the SUMTHING didn't work out due to grounding and design issues.
Moving it on to channel amps+ACA PCBs in 2010+ and keeping the chassis and transformer front end.
I'll post this stuff in another thread!  : )
-Jay

[quote author="Ptownkid"]you're sick[/quote]

heh I know. there is no known cure to DiY that I know of. We just have to live with it and push the envelope by building more and more ambitious projects.
:grin:

this project is a year in the making, i ordered the opamps and parts over the course of that so it didn't break the bank. .. . and thought it out a bit with Joe's help.

Originally this was my own circuit design with THAT inGenius chips, but
I figured what the hell- why not go with Joe's BA which is a known good board.

-Jay

[quote author="Kit"]I hate you.[/quote]

:shock:

well Kit, i prefer my builds to offer encouragement for other's projects..
except for my exceptionally bad drilling and spaghetti wiring which I'll clean up laters.

I don't think I'd be capable of this a two years ago when I began DiY stuff.
It's a progression I guess.

-Jay

well Kit, i prefer my builds to offer encouragement for other's projects..

Haha, no problem.

I was just joking. Your stuff looks great. :thumb:

Great project :)
If I get it right, you use one amplifier module for each channel and then you use the summing box to mix them.
But will you use the summing box inputs balanced or unbalanced ?

I am on a mixer project too, I plan to use unbalanced mix buss

[quote author="keefaz"]Great project :)
If I get it right, you use one amplifier module for each channel and then you use the summing box to mix them.
But will you use the summing box inputs balanced or unbalanced ?

I am on a mixer project too, I plan to use unbalanced mix buss[/quote]

I'm going to try to use the SUMTHING in balanced mode since that is what the BA PCBs put out. If that doesn't work so well, then its back to unbalanced mixing... I am by no means an expert at this and rely on the guidance of the pros and people here at the forum. :wink:

-Jay

indigom - i went to your website and looked around. very cool stuff. i saw the photo of your discrete opamps. what are you using the forssell DLR-1's for? i've chatted with fred about those and plan to get a couple. DW.

[quote author="Tubemooley"]indigom - i went to your website and looked around. very cool stuff. i saw the photo of your discrete opamps. what are you using the forssell DLR-1's for? i've chatted with fred about those and plan to get a couple. DW.[/quote]

umm... impulse buy, they seem to pass audio nicely though and amplify.

So the possibilities are open I suppose so long as I don't expect 80dB of gain out them. This mixer is a sound coloring project as I see it, not a be-all final mix project. Experimentation box, allowing quick change out of opamps, perhaps chips once the voltage distro becomes < 24v available. Something to make a quick audio-plugin-based mix
a bit more punchy, 3D (!?) and suitable to play out on big PA for the people without having to spend 6 hours on just a new EQ/processed mix. Keeps to creative juices flowing and new songs flowing.

The final mix happens for after I (have the time) to get the individual instrument parts processed thru the various things build which have been built as a direct result of learning from you fine fellows (and CJ) on the board, then all mixed thru an adequate A/D.
:wink:

I'll let you guys know what I think the DRL-1's are good for in my niche opinion though! : ) I guess a sound test comparing them to various line-in opamps would be a good starts (like your basic debalancing 5532 setup), THAT inGenious, transformers, etc..

I've only considered using them as a line-in buffer/amp after transformer debalancing so far. So much to learn, so little time...

cheers~
jay

DLR-1's - yeah, that's pretty much what i'm planning to do with them also. where are you located? i'm in massachusetts. i can PM you if i need to be more discrete here. DW.

[quote author="Tubemooley"]DLR-1's - yeah, that's pretty much what i'm planning to do with them also. where are you located? i'm in massachusetts. i can PM you if i need to be more discrete here. DW.[/quote]

no problem, I'm in Connecticut.
Fred Forssell sold me the DRL-1's, and the JFET-993s which i use for the master sum section.

You can call him to purchase his products.. his website is:
http://www.forsselltech.com

best,
Jay

Latest posts

Back