JLM Baby Animal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished mounting my first BA (JLM 14 99V) in its case and plugged it in. I seem to have low output. I noticed the pad switch wasnt working and then realized I hadnt put the 120 ohm res. in. I soldered that in and now it works. I tried it with a 58 on vox and I have very low output. I checked my voltages against the chart and the 2 inside @'s on the primary side as well as the traces that attach to them show 0v with phantom on or off. Other than that every thing looks fine. Any ideas?

I also tried a acoustic with a built in preamp into the DI. I have to crank it way up and it's distorted. :cry:

Hi Joe and Matt,

Would like to thank you for a wonderful sounding pre, we had a few minor problems with assembly (our mistakes of course)and joe responded to our emails promptly.

We compared the BA2 to Api's, Adesign P1, Seventhcircle N72, Avalon, etc and it is right up there with quality, on some sources like bass guitar and vocals, even better. I would have to say it sounds closest to the N72 with extended lows and highs.

A big thumbs up....we look forward to getting more channels in the future.

glide 1

All I can say is WOW! What a great and useful pre.
There are no buzzes and the pre is dead quiet, even at high gain settings. Joe did a great job with this one, and I hope to be getting a few more channels soon

:grin: :grin: :grin: :cool:

Any updates on the BADs? Release date?
Final BAD PCB's are due back around the very end of February. I will have final pricing up before then on the Baby Animal web page. We have had the BAD prototype working up to 93dB of gain with 2 x JLM99v and JLM14 and no output transformer and it has been running stable now for some time.

The BAN is still a little way off as I have it working great but I need to rearrange the PCB to fit a couple of extra parts on before the final PCB can be run.

I just finished mounting my first BA (JLM 14 99V) in its case and plugged it in. I seem to have low output. I noticed the pad switch wasnt working and then realized I hadnt put the 120 ohm res. in. I soldered that in and now it works. I tried it with a 58 on vox and I have very low output. I checked my voltages against the chart and the 2 inside @'s on the primary side as well as the traces that attach to them show 0v with phantom on or off. Other than that every thing looks fine. Any ideas?

I also tried a acoustic with a built in preamp into the DI. I have to crank it way up and it's distorted.
What ohms do you get with the BA off and Pad off between input XLR pin 2 & 3 (20ohms) and between pin 1 & 2 and pin 1 & 3 (3.3k). Also worth checking the output pin of the opamp is not shorted to 0v by 0 or 51ohm.

Otherwise the usual top and bottom PCB and wiring photo's large and well lit with macro on to my email address and I will get you going.

What voltage are you getting on the each side of the 10ohm resistor?
48.83 (dc in side)and 48.67
What ohms do you get with the BA off and Pad off between input XLR pin 2 & 3 (20ohms) and between pin 1 & 2 and pin 1 & 3 (3.3k). Also worth checking the output pin of the opamp is not shorted to 0v by 0 or 51ohm.
input pins 2 & 3 is (28ohms) 1 & 2 is (3.8K) and 1 & 3 is (3.8K)
the output pin of the opamp is not shorted to the 0V

well that was dumb! I had my output jack wired backwards (shield and hot were reversed) Now it works great. Luckily I didnt blow anything up.
Whats the concensus on using the output transformer to get a little more output? Does it affect the sounds in any positve/negative ways?

finished mine tonight.

2 channels of oep input xformer and fabios 2520s....incredible.

next up is 2 channels of jlm xformer and jlm 99v. can anyone compare these two setups

theyll be in the same one u with a di between them. id like to be able to switch the DI bw a oep/2520 and jlm/99v channel. we'll see!!!!

thanks again joe!!!

spoke a little too soon, one channel works great the other one i only see 5v on the other side of the 10R resistor after the 48v V+. Im definatley getting 48 on the power connection side but only 5v on the other side when phantom is on. A little higher when its off but not much. I replaced the 10R but no luck. any ideas?

thanks

Man those Lundahls took fluppin ages. :roll: Anyway, all done now.

I built a 4 channel version, 2 channels with OEP and 99v (one of these has a DI) and 2 of Lundahl and Hybrid (A/B).

DSC01883.jpg

DSC01884.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

I can't be arsed with anything on the front panel, I know what everything does :wink: .

Thanks Jo and Matt for an A1 product and support to match, I haven't done any proper work with these yet but just tinkering around they sound damn good.

Cheers

Nick

Nice work!! :thumb:

[quote author="Godders"]I can't be arsed with anything on the front panel, I know what everything does [/quote]Same here. None of my projects are labelled. ha ha

back to the 10 ohm blowing up... it was working great until i hooked up a jlm DI until. now every time i hook up a channel to the di it blows the 10 ohm resistor after the power supply????

any ideas????????????????

[quote author="buschfsu"]back to the 10 ohm blowing up... it was working great until i hooked up a jlm DI until. now every time i hook up a channel to the di it blows the 10 ohm resistor after the power supply????

any ideas????????????????[/quote]

I had this happen when using the DI/GO-between on a 1272 project.
All was fine until i plugged the DI into the Go-between and then *SMOKE*

The problem is that you likely have the ribbon cable between the DI and BA wired backwards
it's doing something like slamming the +48 directly to ground thru that 10ohm resistor. See if you can salvage the connectors or press a new one on the other end of the ribbon cable, but in the opposite direction.

cheers~
Jay

[quote author="buschfsu"]that was it!!! i have 4 very happy baby animals now.

2 - oep/2520
2- jlm14/jlm99v

joe they sound incredible.

thanks all[/quote]

sweet! yah it really freaked me out when two of the Hotrod boards went up in smoke, but rewiring the cable solved it here too.

cheers~
Jay

Back