JLM99V

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Matt just gave it a name !!!
:shock:

I didn't think we ... you guys ... were going to do that yet ???

well now you have an idea what that other mic-pre is ... refering to my sneak preview picture at the DIY Fatcory a few weeks ago.

[quote author="mattmoogus"]
No idea of prices yet so _dont ask_ but the TG sure sounds magical, as Ive said before.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the limiter?

chrissugar

simple mic pre-amps not limiters
JLM1290_and.jpg

edit :- too late ... seems to have got away

don't get excited Chris ... no limiter ...

yet !! :green:
just teasing :razz:

So what kind of circuit the TG is then, a discrete opamp with only 5 transistors? Differential input (the two transistors on left up close to the gain setting resistors and rotating switch) with current source for it (the 3rd transistor, or is the 3rd one a gain stage?) and two high current output transistors?

His 1:1:1DC trafo looks kind of attractive as an L01166 replacement for BA283AV and related circuits.
Would love to hear some opinions from people who used it before.
Cleaned

[quote author="mhelin"]So what kind of circuit the TG is then, a discrete opamp with only 5 transistors? Differential input (the two transistors on left up close to the gain setting resistors and rotating switch) with current source for it (the 3rd transistor, or is the 3rd one a gain stage?) and two high current output transistors?[/quote]

The circuit is Totally Groovey...what more do you need to know?!

M

[quote author="ijr"] ... be TRUE, I can analyze it in Technion [/quote]then analyse it

As well do you have gap consistency beetween trafos?
I thnk no
with the right trafo maker you never know

Come here in Israel,
.. there will be transformer gap tuning jig story
long way to go just for a story
anyway
... the right trafo maker handles all that stuff

Replaced tones of these chinese green capacitors
on pc' motherboards.
good
just buy a new mother board ?

-12db @30 Hz
what is 12 db down ?

m11 is good, and china can make good capacitors.
Maybe.
:roll:
maybe I'll just keep buying what I can when I can
I'll still just keep walking around to the corner store and buy whatever they have on the shelf.
If it doesn't work or is too expensive, I'll try something else.
:wink:

IJR,

Which transformer are you talking about? JLM gapped 1:1:1 output or 1:4 mic input? The 1:1:1 can handle plenty of level, a good deal more than the original Neve output. As far as it being an exact clone of the original goes, thats not what we were intending to do. There are several points of difference between ours and Rupert's as we were aiming to improve the specs and make a transformer that could be used in a wider variety of situations.

Have you bought one to test? Im not sure where youre getting this info from...

Ill wait for Joe to answer all the other stuff, but I have to say your attitude towards Chinese made parts is a little fishy. A decade ago it could be said that Chinese made was probably a bad thing. Now this is becoming less and less the case. It amazes me to see some of the mics coming from there that have better build quality and at least competitive sound/performance to some of the crap coming from the big brands in Germany.

Joe uses his ears and his enourmous experience from fixing audio and telecomunications gear for the last 25 years or so to choose what parts we use. So far this has worked out pretty well.

I hope I havnt misread anything youve said, please feel free to clarify your points.

M

[quote author="ijr"]There's much to say here, but let's stop. It going smell bad.
Hope it is enough, Kev.
I thought you're better :)[/quote]

smell bad ??

Joe put a great deal of effort into the transformers
And the proto went to and from the maker a couple of times ... I think there may have been more than one trafor make given a chance to make these things.

It was never ment as a Neve Clone and that has been stated a few times.

The JLM99v is not a 990 clone and also has been stated often.

Get your hands on a transformer and test it ... give it to CJ and cut it apart.
then we can talk and no matter how smelly it gets. :thumb:

Chinese resistors or caps or whatever ... Korean ... American whatever.
I can only buy what is in front of me and if my client needs it fixed and has a budget that will not stretch to the top quality caps then so be it.
Just because I am willing to go with out eating for a couple of days to buy a better capacitor then that's my choice and I don't begrudge the client for not being the same way.

Don't be greedy.

99% of what I do in my time for people is FREE
I have a day job that I earn money from.
I have only sold a couple of SSL PCB's that the Chef and I had made a year or so ago. EVERYTHING else I have posted out was free. I still have most of the 10 SSL PCBs (6 or 7 I think) and let the Chef sell the rest and he has used the money to finance other DIY PCB's ... that have been shelved since the LAB move.

If you claim yourself as high fidelity audio,
:shock:
NOPE
I bring audio to people that can't afford it.
poor musicians with broken amps and guitars.

Also I have always been about helping people understand what is inside and do some DIY for educational purposes. Poor students don't have much money at the best of times and any DIY project that has Chinese caps but is still cheap enough to get in and learn somethings is a fine thing. If those caps can be replaced years later at the end of the course , once they do have some money ... then even better.

If you have the money then go fo it but I all fo a fair product for a fair price and do my best to spread the info so that guys like PAT don't get away with it.

Just too put things into perspective ...
the last quote I got for a pair of Jensens was more than a weeks pay.
I'll continue to use things like the OEP units from Farnell.

Doesn't look like I'm any good at all. I may win Tatts one day and then I'll be better.
:green:

[quote author="ijr"]Budget...these kits aren't cheap.

Complete kit for two preamps is about $600-700. WOW!!!!
You'd better buy Sowters, and other stuff from Farnell, at least
good parts without blablabla for same price.[/quote]

these kits are cheap for me here in Australia ... even with the GST

Sowters may not be as expensive as Jensens but still insanely priced for me over the counter or via OS sources. The import duties do hurt.
I tried to go direct with Jensen and Sowter and Lundahl and wzas refused.
Dan Kennedy helped me out with obtaining some Jensens.
A very king Group DIY'er sent me a couple of Lundahls - (much thanks to that person)
Byron from Canada sent me some Sowters and OTC's.

Yes I buy from Farnell and most of my parts come from the corner store , Jaycar.
.... if you want you can just buy a PCB and get the parts yourself.
I have always and will alway encouraged people to make their own PCBs.

Yes Joe did put effort into the transformers
It is not a clone !!

Im not trying to throw fuel on the fire here, and while an audio precision is probably nice ot have around, the real ttest for me is the sound these things make come out of speakers. If they sound good, whats the fuss? The ap shows the transformers are different, I dont think JLM ever claimed they were identical in the first place. So far as Im concerned, its pretty cool that they are different, if you want an original, you can go out and get one somewhat affordably, if you have 10 channnels of neve and want a different sound on one or two, its nice to know there is an alternative transformer out there that you can use and change up the sound a bit. Its not like there is this incredible selection of gapped transformers out there that would be appropriate to use for this circuit, at least not more than a small few that I can think of. Anyhow, hopefully thats food for thought and not a springboard for further argument.

dave

Latest posts

Back