Jury duty and involuntary servitude

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a summons last week
PITA.
Luckily I am retired so no pay loss.
Do they really want a guy with 5 DUI's including one on a bicycle?

That one made the newspaper, headline was

"Pedaling While Pickled"

My mistake was registering to vote. That's where they find you for jury duty.
In California, they pull you the moment you get a drivers license. You are in the system at that point.

If I am wrongly accused of a crime I will spend whatever it takes to hire the best lawyers.
Which means you're pretty wealthy. And of course a bad jury can overcome lawyering.

Same thing as Trump or Biden. The actual crooks never go to jail.
Not just the rich getting off light.

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local...y-to-single-count-of-making-criminal-threats/
Contempt of court threats are unfortunately needed when so many citizens simply shirk their civic duty. How can the legal system function without juries?

How the hell am I "magically" a Guru that might decide whether someone sits in jail for decades ...or worst case....put poison in the veins that kills that person at the prison??

Bri

JR....if I have to rely on the locals here to keep me out of jail, I should just shoot myself.

If I had some IP to protect I might fight. But, I don't have millions of dollars to fight.

So, I'm stuck wasting my time with a meth head/etc. on trial.

Bri

If I am wrongly accused of a crime I will spend whatever it takes to hire the best lawyers.

Same thing as Trump or Biden. The actual crooks never go to jail.

Bri
I have shared this anecdote before...

I recall back in the 70s when a childhood friend of mine was arrested and charged with armed robbery of a jewelry store. I was questioned as a prospective witness for him, but I was living in CT at the time and he lived in NJ. I had visited him briefly during that Christmas holiday break but had nothing beneficial to testify about other than his character.

The store was ripped off by organized criminals and the store owner was afraid to tell the truth so fingered my friend from a police line up, because he had long hair and a beard and looked like a good scapegoat to pin this crime on.

Long story short my childhood friend survived the incident and the store owner finally admitted his false identification. Luckily for my friend he had resources and could afford competent legal representation despite looking like he couldn't.

Jury duty, like voting is a civil responsibility. I have never heard of someone arrested for not performing jury duty, but judges demand respect so be careful about what you say to the judge in court.

JR

PS: IMO there is worthwhile discussion topic about modern criminal prosecution practices. The news is full of stories about criminals released without charges after being arrested for sundry "real" crimes.

A professor I had in college said if you want to get out of jury duty, just show up wearing something that will get you eliminated during voir dire. He had a leather motorcycle jacket, a red bandana, and a pair of cut up jeans. He showed a photo, and it looked like he was out on bail from a gang. He was always excused even before the questionnaires were issued. :)

A professor I had in college said if you want to get out of jury duty, just show up wearing something that will get you eliminated during voir dire. He had a leather motorcycle jacket, a red bandana, and a pair of cut up jeans. He showed a photo, and it looked like he was out on bail from a gang. He was always excused even before the questionnaires were issued. :)
way to set a good example of citizenship for modern youth...... :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised?

JR

OK...I doubt my crapola will get me off of jury duty. OTOH, unless it was Mom (RIP) I would have a tough time sending someone to the death chamber.

Bri

How the hell am I "magically" a Guru that might decide whether someone sits in jail for decades ...or worst case....put poison in the veins that kills that person at the prison??

Bri
You are not... a 12 person jury shares the responsibility of deciding a defendant's guilt or innocence as a group.

I recall being the one contrary jury member in deciding a drug possession case. After several hours I acquiesced to the majority opinion.

A couple weeks later I was stopped for speeding by one of the arresting officers in the court case. I asked him for the rest of that story. The miscreant was guilty as hell and incriminating evidence was excluded by a clever defense lawyer.

JR

Bri
If you'd served on a jury or even heard the initial informational talk all judges give the jury pool prior to the selection process you would understand what it's all about. Guarantee of a trial by a "jury of your peers" is foundational to our justice system. Responsibility is part of being an adult.

If you end up on a murder trial and have qualms about the death penalty, that question will be asked of you if you're selected as a prospective juror. My last jury service was on a complex murder and attempted murder trial with additional conspiracy and gun charges. There were three defendants and three victims (one dead). It was not fun, but someone has to do it if we expect our system to work. Why do you think others should have to be responsible while you get a pass?

They should just get rid of the entire legal system , no cops no lawyers, no judges, every man for himself just like the good ol days.

Somebody hits on your gal, out to the streets we go for a sudden death playoff.

Hell if somebody ripped off Kit Carson's horse while he was sleeping he would hunt em down and take their scalps in the middle of the night along with all their horses, women, food, firewater, cocaine, peyote, mescaline, refer and the peace pipe. This was just a few short years ago I might add. And they named a highway and a mountain pass after him.
Jus sayin, wtf?

Last edited:
They should just get rid of the entire legal system , no cops no lawyers, no judges, every man for himself just like the good ol days.

Somebody hits on your gal, out to the streets we go for a sudden death playoff.

Hell if somebody ripped off Kit Carson's horse while he was sleeping he would hunt em down and take their scalps in the middle of the night along with all their horses, women, food, firewater, cocaine, peyote, mescaline, refer and the peace pipe. This was just a few short years ago I might add. And they named a highway and a mountain pass after him.
Jus sayin, wtf?
we appear to be headed in that direction....

JR

my brother got excused on a prostitution case,

he said "i have nothing against this poor gal trying to make a living, if you were smart you would just make it legal so you can collect taxes...:

I get jury summons like clock work.
I usually get picked. I don’t mind the 15 bucks a day.
Sometimes the cases can be interesting.
For example I was juror on a case where the defendant was guilty of felony assault and battery based on evidence presented in court, there was one piece of evidence that if corroborated would have made it self defense but no witness could confirm the words “I’m going to kill you” that the defendant claimed was said to him.
To make matters worse after turning in a verdict, the defense did a last ditch effort by polling the jurors. One by one we were asked do we agree with the verdict turned in. This is to see if people were forced into a giving verdict or anything that would be grounds for mistrial. Sure enough one juror starts crying in court how they felt one way but now feel different. The judge has us go back and try again. At the same time we visit the judge one by one in his chambers so he can ask what went on in the juror room. So I told him how the crying juror ignored his instructions on how to determine a verdict. After 2 extra days a Hung jury, we couldn’t agree and the defendant walked. Because no verdict was reached they could do another trial but might not be worth it to the d.a.

my brother got excused on a prostitution case,

he said "i have nothing against this poor gal trying to make a living, if you were smart you would just make it legal so you can collect taxes...:

That's why I don't understand the drama. There are a gazillion ways to avoid jury duty. From faking insanity to telling the judge you're certain the bastard is guilty...

Latest posts

Back