Jury duty and involuntary servitude

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sad thread - people bragging about clever ways to avoid something that is not only a civic responsibility, but should be seen as a privilege.

Every time I've served, it was a tiring, invasive, but ultimately fascinating experience. Of course, it requires one to have at least some curiosity about the rest of the world.

Responsibility isn't supposed to be 'fun', or convenient, kiddies.

It's sad that registering to vote made me a target.
What's really sad is that you consider yourself a 'target'. And that your 'remedy' is to not register to vote.

The biggest single reason destructive and /or unqualified people get into office is that too small a percentage of the population bothers to vote!

Here in Scotland there is a system called JP (Justice of the Peace). In simple terms, JPs are laymen/lwomen judges with limited sentencing authority. They are made up of ordinary citizens. In other words one does not have to have a degree in law to become a JP. There is a very strict selection procedure and two years of heavy training before qualifying. For example out of a say a few thousand applications there are only 4-5 selected.

All low level cases such as traffic offenses, theft and assault are handled by JPs which make up almost 75% of the overall court cases. JPs do not get paid and work one full day a week. In other words almost two months of their lives per year are given to this civic duty. And I know JPs who spent nearly 25 years in that duty before retiring. They do that because it has to be done to maintain the civilised life that we live in. So, put that in perspective for a jury duty.

For me, like Brian, no work, no pay. The court has been sympathetic when I've been called. I however don't leave it up to chance. During voir dire I make sure to irritate the attorneys so they don't pick me. So far has worked like a charm. I once even got the defense lawyer reprimanded by the judge for muddying a legal concept.

I am not worthy.
Yes you are. Don’t sell yourself so short.
You definitely have the mental capacity to make decisions based purely on facts presented and only facts presented. I can see why you wouldn’t wan to be in such a situation especially one with a heavy outcome.
Of my time in California, some 25 years I have been a juror 3 times. I do get called like clock work. I don’t try and get dismissed, it just happens. I have no hardships. I once met cheech from Cheech and Chong at jury duty but that is another story,
Anyway of the 3 times I served, 1 case was criminal as described previously. The other 2 were civil trials. They all taught me a lot about the law, how one little phrase or action means the difference in verdict. I get why you want to avoid it, a lot of folks do. But think of it this way, you would want a jury if you were ever on trial.

Last edited:
I understand the need for quality jurors, but is this America? It's not freedom to be forced to participate and even fined or jailed if you don't. That's tyranny, it's disgusting, and the founding fathers would be appalled. None of the judges or officials of the court are losing a penny over any of this!

What we've let "democracy" become.

Oh, sorry, I mean our "constitutional republic."

One time I got a jury summons, years ago. I was a kid in my 20s, and I was in a low place in my life, a bit depressed. I didn't dress up - I wore shorts and a t-shirt, and was visibly "down" in the court.

Lawyer dismissed me right away without me saying a word.

A couple other times I've written letters and gotten excused.

I don't know what I'd do now, because I'm living in the UK, so if I got a summons in CA (my home state for 50 years), I'd have to get excused somehow...

I understand the need for quality jurors, but is this America? It's not freedom to be forced to participate and even fined or jailed if you don't. That's tyranny, it's disgusting, and the founding fathers would be appalled. None of the judges or officials of the court are losing a penny over any of this!

One time I got a jury summons, years ago. I was a kid in my 20s, and I was in a low place in my life, a bit depressed. I didn't dress up - I wore shorts and a t-shirt, and was visibly "down" in the court.

I don't know what I'd do now, because I'm living in the UK, so if I got a summons in CA (my home state for 50 years), I'd have to get excused somehow...
You clearly know nothing of the history of true tyranny . . . a word which must not be weakened by such loose usage.

I have no issue with mandatory jury service, it's vital to the legal system. However it should not cause a hardship to potential jurors. Mandate employers pay the employees their usual daily wage (some already do but not all), for the self employed offer reimbursement of typical daily income, the unemployed get a reasonable daily rate at least equivalent to minimum wage. Any legitimate personal reasons get excused without jumping through hoops.

I'm hoping this is sarcasm, but somehow I doubt it.

I understand the need for quality jurors, but is this America? It's not freedom to be forced to participate and even fined or jailed if you don't.
Like other important civic duties, say paying your taxes. Freedom doesn't mean freedom from all obligations.

That's tyranny, it's disgusting, and the founding fathers would be appalled.
Given that they wrote into the Constitution the presumption of innocence, right to address you accuser in court, right to a timely trial by a jury of your peers (fellow citizens of your community and not government officials), and all of that, I hardly think they would be appalled.

What superior mechanism do you propose that would alleviate the terrible and tyrannical burden of jury duty?

None of the judges or officials of the court are losing a penny over any of this!
Totally irrelevant. We, the people, fund the courts and legal system through our taxes. If a trial is scheduled and preparations made, but no jurors show up, how much wasted taxpayer money is lost? How is justice for the accused served?

You are lost. The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance, not apathy and unmitigated whining.

You should have dressed appropriately. If you didn't feel mentally up to the task, I'm sure the judge would have listened to you in a private sidebar discussion. I've seen that happen multiple times during jury selection.

But that may have affected the trial. Lawyers get a certain (small) number of dismissals without cause. One lawyer wasted his on you which may have led to having another problem juror sit for the trial.

So you never served?

If you're not a resident of CA you should have notified the county registrar and been removed from the voter roll. Now they'll mail out your ballot to your last address and great things can happen.

Last edited:
my brother almost got locked up going in for jury duty>

"I told "His Honor" that he was wasting my time and the rest of the prospective jurors and I believe in prostitution and wished that the cops could catch the real bad guys/gals and leave the ladies of the night to perform their god given duty to mankind!!!!!!!
Lots of applause in the courtroom and the judge threatened me with contempt of court if I kept up my diatribe.....That might have not been too bad however, if they locked me up with the defendant!"

The last time I went in for jury duty I managed to get the plaintiffs attorney visibly angry with me. She started a line of questioning and I was able to figure it out and f'up her game. She didn't like that one bit.

Well, I'm "putting this thread to bed." The way the system works here, the night before the jury duty, you call a special local phone (robo) number that is somehow tied the particular case. I was in the ORANGE jury pool, which I assume was tied to that case.

Robolady said the case had been cancelled....don't show up.

End of me fretting after multiple days and nights. Maybe I can get a full/decent night's sleep again....AND bill some hours here tomorrow.

Now if I can get my car back from the mechanic, I can return the rental from Enterprise. However, that 2022 Corolla IS a much better car than my old Beater!

Bri

Latest posts

Back