Just gifted two Autogram AC-6 broadcast consoles....convert to mixing console?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimtoview

Hi all,

So I've  been thinking a lot lately about building an 8 channel tube mixer.  I'm not ready to tackle it yet, but I'd like to start it within the year so I've been researching to no end and trying to get a plan together. 

Anyway, I was talking to an old friend today and he offered to give me his two Autogram AC-6 broadcast mixers that he purchased from channel 8 news (Dallas/Ft Worth, TX area).  He's strictly internet radio now and they're just wasting away in storage.

One of the boards is apparently in good working order and the other one is there for parts.  I told him I'd take them not really knowing much about them, but it looks like these were some really well-made consoles.  Apparently Autogram was the OEM for some Collins / Rockwell mixers.

So what do y'all think???  If you were in the same boat, what would you do here?  Can I use this as a big jump start for my diy mixer I'm planning?  What mods would you guys do if so?  If I understand correctly, it's a 6 stereo channel board.  Any way (that's not a complete pita) to mod 2 of those stereo channels to 4 mono channels?  I think there are at least a couple mic pres also.  How do they sound?  Worth using???  Definitely want to add inserts....

Anyway, what do ya think???  I'm very interested and looking forward to your responses.

Thanks!

Aaron

Oh...Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but here's the manual...

http://www.autogram.net/manuals/manuals/AC-6_Audio_Console.pdf

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick response.  I got some great info from you the other day via email if you remember.  So is there anything I can use these guys for?  I was hoping to at least be able to snag some transformers or something from it to help with my build.  I was also hoping that I could use the chassis (though it's not exactly setup like a studio console as I'm used to).  Not a big deal if not.  I'm building either way, but these were dropped in my lap and I'd like to make use of them if possible.

My goal in the end is to have a unit I can run mostly stereo stems through since I work mostly in the box these days for recall, but also have about 4 mono channels for lead vocal, bass, and a couple other important instruments depending on the track.  Plus eq and inserts....And this build isn't really about saving money...I'm in it for the education and I'm big into customization so I can build exactly what I want for my purposes.  In the end I'd like to have as much of my studio built by me as possible.

Disclaimer:
I come from the songwriter to producer to sound engineer path.  I'm good with the iron and can build most anything if it's straight off a cookbook, but more abstract thinking about electronics is beyond me at the moment.  I do have a couple guys here that can help when I need serious electrical know-how, but they don't come from an audio background. 

I want very badly to learn this stuff though!....to the point I'm on this forum / rest of the net researching when I should be getting some sleep ;D .  I'm working on a graduate degree in mathematics right now (and an mba...too many times getting screwed in the music business so I'm getting a financial safety net this go around!), and my school has a decent electrical engineering program (no focus on audio circuits though).  Should I take some classes to really get going with understanding circuit design, or do you think I can obtain the knowledge I seek from some good books, this forum, and through gaining more and more experience with each of my audio builds?

Thanks!

Aaron

I'll let you know how it turns out.  I'm kinda leaning towards gutting the one that's not working and using the chassis  for one of Ian's eztube mixer projects.  I don't know how well it will work for that, but we'll see.  I'm really intrigued by his designs so I'm building one regardless of how these turn out.  I'll do something with the working board in addition.  I can't help but be curious how it sounds on it's own.  Hoping to get them out of my buddy's storage sometime this week.  I haven't even seen them yet.

It looks really cool, so even if it doenst sound good you can use it as a decoration piece for your Living Room.
Anyway I think it should have an interesting sound.

did you see this pages?

http://crochambeau.blogspot.pt/2011/02/this-past-week-has-been-one-obstacle.html

http://crochambeau.blogspot.pt/2012_11_01_archive.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o_nuBmrVvU

Back