Kavana(ugh)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people can change  their mind as the information received changes. I am not defending or attacking anyone or anything but 3 years is enough to change a person's mind if there is more information.

pucho812 said:
people can change  their mind as the information received changes. I am not defending or attacking anyone or anything but 3 years is enough to change a person's mind if there is more information.

Like Trump's comments after Charlottesville?

pucho812 said:
I agree with that, but it's doubtful this is what's happening.

Graham care about himself, then the GOP, then his constituents, in that order.  He'll say whatever benefits himself in that situation the most.

I’ve never seen Graham that animated.  Anyway it’s drama at its finest.  I just don’t get the the identity politics from the dems or pubs .  And the condemnation of 50 million voters.  Really ???  It’s  So condescending.  And what happened this year that’s ruined your life to have that much hate?  Is it that bad on a daily basis? 

fazer said:
I’ve never seen Graham that animated.  Anyway it’s drama at its finest.  I just don’t get the the identity politics from the dems or pubs .  And the condemnation of 50 million voters.  Really ???  It’s  So condescending.  And what happened this year that’s ruined your life to have that much hate?  Is it that bad on a daily basis?

50-60 million people holding a population of 300 million hostage, is pretty much his point.

fazer said:
Sen Graham broke the 4th wall of the political theater and spoke his mind (to the other senators and cameras) instead of the typical phishing for sounds bites that goes on in such public senate hearings.

While he said what many people watching were thinking, he is still part of the problem, a career politician who has become too comfortable in the swamp.
======
Interesting that Nikki Haley mentioned "term limits" while resigning her position as UN ambassador (I expect she will be back in a better administration gig after a vaca).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Sen Graham broke the 4th wall of the political theater and spoke his mind (to the other senators and cameras) instead of the typical phishing for sounds bites that goes on in such public senate hearings.

While he said what many people watching were thinking, he is still part of the problem, a career politician who has become too comfortable in the swamp.
======
Interesting that Nikki Haley mentioned "term limits" while resigning her position as UN ambassador (I expect she will be back in a better administration gig after a vaca).

JR

To me it looked like Graham was giving a performance for an audience of one.

Haley has a big mortagage and needs to earns more money, so she's probably going to be a lobbiest. Or she'll run for president in 2024, you never know.

JohnRoberts said:
I almost posted a compliment to this group for civility and thoughtfulness but there is still a lot of anger out there.

sorry back to your ongoing screech....

I assume you are talking about my posts. I'm not angry, but maybe you don't like opposing views here?
You referring to my posts as uncivil, unthoughtful, and an ongoing screech is pretty close to a personal attack. Why don't you knock it off, if so?

living sounds said:
To me it looked like Graham was giving a performance for an audience of one.

Haley has a big mortagage and needs to earns more money, so she's probably going to be a lobbiest. Or she'll run for president in 2024, you never know.
She already told reporters she wasn't running for president, but they aren't asking her about 2024 yet.

Maybe she should become a senator, they are all millionaires.  ::)  Running for POTUS or any elected office would involve negative income at least initially.

I am not as smart as you guys about what other people think or will do in the future, but I can imagine her returning to the Trump administration at cabinet level, when the opportunity arises, and it probably will. Her UN experience was good on the job training for several positions.

JR 

dmp said:
I assume you are talking about my posts. I'm not angry, but maybe you don't like opposing views here?
You referring to my posts as uncivil, unthoughtful, and an ongoing screech is pretty close to a personal attack. Why don't you knock it off, if so?

I was making a general comment about the tone of multiple people's posts . If I meant to call you out personally I would have as I have done before in the past when individual posters are approaching the limits of acceptable forum behavior (or crossed them).

Since you want to talk about your post, I let slide your criticism of President Trump using the "E" word (evil). In my judgement it was a poke at the modern opposition strategy to characterize conservatives as evil, to justify their "whatever it takes" behavior (as I have already posted). 

Maybe my observation (about the E word) is a little too oblique or obscure. I often caution about reading too much into President Trump's blather, so maybe I should take my own advice. President Trump is likely just keeping the media hornets in the air and angry, attempting to control the news cycle, while he routinely steps on his own messaging.

JR

PS: I really am proud of this group's civility (most of the time). This thread is full of opposing views, without them this sub forum would be a ghost town.

JohnRoberts said:
Since you want to talk about your post, I let slide your criticism of President Trump using the "E" word (evil). In my judgement it was a poke at the modern opposition strategy to characterize conservatives as evil, to justify their "whatever it takes" behavior (as I have already posted). 

Maybe my observation (about the E word) is a little too oblique or obscure. I often caution about reading too much into President Trump's blather, so maybe I should take my own advice. President Trump is likely just keeping the media hornets in the air and angry, attempting to control the news cycle, while he routinely steps on his own messaging.

JR

PS: I really am proud of this group's civility (most of the time). This thread is full of opposing views, without them this sub forum would be a ghost town.

So when I quoted President Trump calling his political opponents evil, you found that out-of line? (in your role as the moderator here)?  He has been calling Democrats "evil" and "despicable" multiple times in person and on twitter.

You posted this, which I agree with:

JohnRoberts said:
After you declare an entire group evil, it becomes OK to attack their character, and worse.

Isn't it important to drop the team politics and do what is right for the country? If Trump calls his political opponents "evil" and "despicable" then he should be condemned for it. If he calls for his political opponents to be imprisoned, he should be condemned for it. These are strongman tactics that are a threat to the country.

It seems like behavior that conservatives brazenly exhibit is something that Democrats are condemned for hypothetically doing. 

It's not just his 'blather' - it has real consequences for the country. 

Trump is brazenly lying about his adminstration's policy to gullible voters (an op-ed this week was filled with straight out lies). Now that he has demonized his critics, called the news 'fake', he's set the stage to tell his own version of the truth - even if it conflicts 100% with reality. 

I think the country would be better off if people thought critically about politics instead of seeing it as team competition and theater for entertainment.

For what it's worth, I thought Nikki Haley was a first class act, she appeared to be head and shoulders above the rest of the administration.  A very competent woman,

DaveP

Spare a thought for Scott 2000 who is probably boarding up his house and filling sand bags as we speak. :(

DaveP

dmp said:
So when I quoted President Trump calling his political opponents evil, you found that out-of line? (in your role as the moderator here)?  He has been calling Democrats "evil" and "despicable" multiple times in person and on twitter.

You posted this, which I agree with:

Isn't it important to drop the team politics and do what is right for the country? If Trump calls his political opponents "evil" and "despicable" then he should be condemned for it. If he calls for his political opponents to be imprisoned, he should be condemned for it. These are strongman tactics that are a threat to the country.

It seems like behavior that conservatives brazenly exhibit is something that Democrats are condemned for hypothetically doing. 

It's not just his 'blather' - it has real consequences for the country. 

Trump is brazenly lying about his adminstration's policy to gullible voters (an op-ed this week was filled with straight out lies). Now that he has demonized his critics, called the news 'fake', he's set the stage to tell his own version of the truth - even if it conflicts 100% with reality. 

I think the country would be better off if people thought critically about politics instead of seeing it as team competition and theater for entertainment.
Nice attempt to spin and re-characterize my actions as moderation... :eek:

I routinely try to cool the temperature of discussion around here, as a forum member... (with mixed success).  :'(

As a moderator I deal with people who break rules, and respond to moderation complaints about people who often haven't even broken rules (some people around here are easily offended and don't know the rules). If I was acting as a moderator you should know it, but just to be clear I wasn't.

I find it hard to completely blame President Trump for the current political climate. Perhaps if he was more of a politician things would be different but he is a real-estate developer/reality TV star...  NOT A POLITICIAN.

I can see how that makes some people upset because he isn't behaving as expected for a typical politician.

He was not my first choice, but I appreciate what he has accomplished in 2 years. Actually keeping campaign promises proves that he isn't a politician. 

JR

DaveP said:
Spare a thought for Scott 2000 who is probably boarding up his house and filling sand bags as we speak. :(

DaveP
My sense is that Scott lived further south... He mentioned meeting a number of recent Venezuelan immigrants, which suggest southern FL. But he can tell us.....

Hurricane  Mikey eye is centered on Destin/Pensacola region (northern FL panhandle).  Serious storm. Fast moving so could be worse but bad enough. (I have friends in panhandle but no relatives).

I still haven't heard from my NC cousin in the direct path of Hurricane Florence. but he didn't respond to my email before Florence hit so it may just be me.  :eek:  But NC will get more rain from this new storm over already saturated ground so not good.

As is my recent practice I sent money to "direct relief" charity for Florence (because as all too often I had relatives in that storm path).  This is becoming a habit so I will probably donate to direct relief for this storm too (I donated to PR hurricane relief last year without any relatives there, they were hurting before the storm). 

Hopefully Scott will chime in and tell us he's OK but may not be following the blow by blow posts about Kavanaugh  ::) Social media like FB has a mechanism to tell people they are OK.

JR

I'd have to look into it more, but I think the number of electoral votes is adjusted by the census, since the house representatives changes based on population.
- each state gets two senators
- each state gets apportioned house representatives based on population, with a minimum of 1
- each state gets electoral votes equal to the number of senators (2) + number of house reps.

Interestingly, this is why the Trump administration is monkeying around with the census for 2020. To try to tilt the population count in their favor.

A big difference is the census population isn't the same as the voter turnout. So a state with a high population may only have 40% turnout - but still the 40% voters get the full electoral votes for a certain candidate. Most states have a winner take all for the electoral votes.

scott2000 said:
Even your state is right down the middle in favor of Trump though. I thought only  states like my own were responsible for this result...... I've been to Wisconsin and it's way different than here. But not too much in this regard I guess...

It was close in Wisconsin. Basically, rural Wisconsin are Republican and the cities are progressive. But the deciding factor for the results in 2016 (very close) was voter suppression and gerrymandering by Republicans. A lot of people are really pissed off because it isn't playing fair. Not as bad here as it is in Georgia, but still pretty bad.

The news out of Georgia is just astounding. The GOP candidate for Governor is purging the voter rolls of people who would be expected to vote against him. It's unbelievable. 

dmp said:
The news out of Georgia is just astounding. The GOP candidate for Governor is purging the voter rolls of people who would be expected to vote against him. It's unbelievable.

Yes, voter disenfranchisement is rampant. This is one of the things the "GOP = evil" opions originate. Because they actually do a lot of evil things and have been for a long time. Look into the Flint water supply story. If the victims had been white southerners and the perpetrators Democrats if would have been torches and pitchforks.

Gerrymandering only affected the state government, but by controlling the state government, Republicans were able to change the laws for Federal elections.
Republican's have been pushing for voter ID for years and put it in place in many states over the last few years (including WI).
It's not about preventing voter fraud (which is really really rare) - it is about putting up roadblocks to reduce votes in tight elections.
Trump won Wisconsin by 22,748 votes, out of almost 3 million total voters - around 1%.
In Wisconsin, voter ID affected close to 10% of likely voters - meaning they would have to get a new ID to be able to vote (go to the DMV, make sure address is correct in records, etc).  The Republican voter suppression could easily be assumed to have reduced votes by a few percent.

Republicans followed up voter ID laws in some states by trying to close DMV locations in 'certain' neighborhoods to make it even harder for 'certain' people (non-Republican voters) to get the ID they'd need. 
And several Republican led states have been purging the voter rolls so 'certain' people would not be registered on election day.
Georgia is the worst example right now.  Republicans have made it harder to register by creating deadlines and enacting bureaucratic requirements to throw out registrations, like if an address has slightly different formatting from a previous record.
Only 11 states allow same day voter registration.

I wouldn't want to offend our moderator here (JR) though by calling any of this evil (the E word).

To bring this back to Kavanagh, it will be quite telling how the next round of gerrymandering cases get decided and if they will be split along party lines (I'll make a bold prediction that they will be).

In the UK you are obliged to keep your address updated on the Electoral Roll, it is one of the jobs you have to do when moving house.  Once you are on the Roll, the local council sends renewal checks every so often.

When there is an election, a voting card is sent to your address, you must take this card to the Polling station to prove your identity.

The only way the system can be abused is with Postal Votes.  Some patriarchal ethnic minorities falsify the votes for their wives in this way to get the result they want.

DaveP

Back