Kavana(ugh)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveP said:
In the UK you are obliged to keep your address updated on the Electoral Roll, it is one of the jobs you have to do when moving house.  Once you are on the Roll, the local council sends renewal checks every so often.

When there is an election, a voting card is sent to your address, you must take this card to the Polling station to prove your identity.

The only way the system can be abused is with Postal Votes.  Some patriarchal ethnic minorities falsify the votes for their wives in this way to get the result they want.

DaveP
My neighbor's wife works for the local election commission and it is a full time year round job trying to keep voter rolls accurate. A certain strata of the socio-economic population do not live in stable home situations so may change addresses multiple times in a single year.

She is 15 years older than me and raised locally so less liberal than me.  :eek:  My sense is that she would never intentionally deny anybody's right to vote.

I was chatting with her just this week, and she noted how this election she is seeing a lot of new interest from young people about voting, many for their first time.

I like that more people (kids) are paying more attention to government. Historically kids like rallies (to connect with other kids) but don't vote reliably. Maybe that can change.

JR 

PS: I am weary of disputing the (very) old talking points, if new to this be aware there are competing opinions about almost everything.  One side's denying votes, is the other side's preventing vote fraud. As I have shared before, IMO I would let walk-ins vote, but take their picture and thumbprint. If the vote is close, their ability to vote can be vetted after the fact. If the vote is not close, it doesn't matter and pictures can be deleted. It seems hard to believe that voter age citizens could lack personal ID living in the 21st century. 

This has been a reasonably good natured debate that has come its natural end, so its a de-notify for me :-*

DaveP

Latest posts

Back