Kavana(ugh)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banzai said:
"Who cares if the Saudi's kill Yemeni's. We have a $2B bomb order to fill."

The current state of the US is a total sh*tshow.

It's brutal. I don't even know what to say? Sad? I guess? Dangerous?

Game Over.

MAGA - Michael Avanatti Great Attorney

"Oopsie! I think it's time for the FBI to look into all of these matters, GOP. Your save face maneuver by trying to ram him through was not only ineffective, but now look how bad you're going to look to every voter in this country, and it's still only the last week of September. tsk tsk.
Lol all kinds of sh#t coming out on this pos is that y they didn't let the Democrats look at his pass records..
This sh#t is hitting the fan and you cannot make this sh#t up.
Wow no wonder he remembers NOTHING.
Best thing he could do is withdraw now go back to d c circuit if not you will be destroyed personally not worth it.
Truth will out! Time for an investigation of this nominee. The Senate had better get off its ass and do more than ask stupid questions of this POS.
Sooner or later the man would be made to pay for his crimes, the republicans can only delay the dooms day.
Wow, at this rate Republicans like Donald, McConnell and Grassley are going to make Kavanaugh their patron saint!
OUCH!!!Kavanaugh...WITHDRAW NOW!!!!
His confirmation is toast !! I bet mitch McConnell is sh*tting himself!! Trump too...the writings on the wall.
It figures, Trump only chooses the best people.
Kavanaugh needs to drop out of this nomination NOW!
Np confirmation uuntil all charges are investigated.
No wonder they wanted to hurry up and confirm him.
But all young boys do it, you know????
Corrupted disgusting Republicans are covering up for Kavanaugh BLOCK BLOCK BLOCK !!!
His wife gonna dump his ass and take the money if he got any don't know he may have a hole on her.
Good let this pos stories flow so he can be embarrassed and hopefully go to jail!
If this is true no supreme court for him.
Lock him up! He has no business on the Supreme Court!!
Woah! Does this STILL not merit an investigation?
Damn it I did not grab my popcorn stand by I'm going to the store to buy more popcorn this is going to be good.
I’m sure a lot of woman will come forward.
Thank God they are coming out!!! I knew that there would be more!
His Stepford wife must be so proud of him.
He is f*#ked. He should just renounce his position!
I hope 40 more speak up.
Take him down.
So he's a typical Republican hypocrite....(yawning).... wake me up when you have shocking news.
Remove from all courts!!!
Why am I not surprised?
Not at all surprising, he was either innocent or had a string of assaults during his life, just likr trump, cosby, weinstein etc...
Yikes!
Checkmate..
Grab a hammer and NAIL THIS COFFIN SHUT!”
OH WOW!!!!! HE SHOULD BE TOAST NOW!!!!!
Oh boy, get the pop corn ready.
Get em Michael!"

Attachments

• f'ed.jpg
    f'ed.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17
A coupla  things:  I just want to throw it out there that there's a chance, amidst all the swirling rumors, there'll be a story planted by a GOP operative that gets traction and is just as quickly discredited by right wing "news outlets,"  all in an effort to discredit other (quite possibly true) stories by association.  Ed Whelan, who did the hit piece on Ms. Ford, was involved is the "swift boat" attacks on John Kerry (which, in case you hadn't noticed, were complete BS), so he's no stranger to dirty tricks.  And, as noted upstream, Whelan's attack was almost certainly coordinated with the White House, so more of this nastiness would be no great surprise. 

scott2000 said:
Why is it "scary stuff?"  Because men are finally being held accountable for their attacks against women?

It was always scary stuff, for the people who were victimized.
The change lately is that the people traditionally in positions of power are being held accountable. 
So chose who you sympathize with I guess, the victims or the perpetrators. A new 'team' for team politics.

So multiple people have reinforced the allegations now against Kavanaugh and the GOP is still refusing to call any other witnesses - including Kavanaugh's buddy who clearly doesn't want to talk about it.  If the GOP thinks they can do a attack / smear on the witness followed by Kavanaugh acting principled, I think they have another thing coming.  It's a different era than Spector asking Anita Hill if she was a scorned women.

scott2000 said:
For example.......I can honestly say I'd rather have someone like JR on a jury if I was facing some trouble than many even if I may not agree with his political position......  I really believe he would do the right thing. 
Funny you should say that... last time I was on a jury (for a drug case) I was one of the last "innocent" holdouts because I felt that the evidence we were presented didn't rise above a "reasonable doubt".  I eventually folded and voted guilty along with the rest of the jury...  ???

Coincidentally a couple months later I was stopped for speeding by one of the same policemen who testified in the drug case. I asked him for the rest of the story..... Apparently some evidence showed that these guys were guilty as hell (drugs found in the back seat of the cop car they were picked up in. Their lawyer got it excluded on a technicality). 

So I'm your guy on a jury, even if you are guilty... apparently.  ::)

JR

PS: Try to ignore the identity politics ... I am an old white man and feel like I need to apologize to the ladies on the view for something I didn't do. 

JohnRoberts said:
Coincidentally a couple months later I was stopped for speeding by one of the same policemen who testified in the drug case. I asked him for the rest of the story..... Apparently some evidence showed that these guys were guilty as hell (drugs found in the back seat of the cop car they were picked up in. Their lawyer got it excluded on a technicality).

Which may or may not have been the truth. Unfortuntely, evidence tampering, factual errors, misrepresantation of facts and outright lying by law enforcement personell (often to confirm a preconceived narrative or even fullfill a quota) is a rather common occurence. Probably more so in a system that holds elections for prosecuters, judges, police commissioners etc.

Even here in Germany, where extensive education, rigorous training and stringent quality control is applied to judicial occupations and cases are decided by professional judges rather than lay people a lot of errors happen (a lot because of austerity measures).

As for the Supreme Court, by right it should have a comfortable liberal majority today. Gore won (but the votes didn't get counted) and should have appointed judges, Obama should have gotten to appoint Garland, Clinton should have won in an undistorted system. The court increasingly decides against what overwhelming majorities of the population want and absent rigorous constitutional backing will face a legitimacy crisis in the foreseeable future. Unless the GOP loses its current battle, of course.

living sounds said:
Which may or may not have been the truth. Unfortuntely, evidence tampering, factual errors, misrepresantation of facts and outright lying by law enforcement personell (often to confirm a preconceived narrative or even fullfill a quota) is a rather common occurence. Probably more so in a system that holds elections for prosecuters, judges, police commissioners etc.
I have absolutely no reason to question his veracity. He had zero reason to lie to me. I was a local resident he had just caught speeding. He had no reason to even discuss the case with me but was probably a little frustrated. As I recall he shared with me that they found a baggie of drugs wedged down in the back seat of the cop car that the two miscreants were carried to the station in. Their lawyer got that physical evidence excluded, because they couldn't prove the cop car was clean immediately before the suspects rode in that back seat.

It seems pretty high probability that it was their drugs since the police car was likely checked regularly, and didn't routinely carry many drug suspects. This also explains why I thought the trial evidence was a little thin, but the rest of my fellow jurists were easily convinced (probably from just looking at them). 
Even here in Germany, where extensive education, rigorous training and stringent quality control is applied to judicial occupations and cases are decided by professional judges rather than lay people a lot of errors happen (a lot because of austerity measures).
even in Germany...  ::)
As for the Supreme Court, by right it should have a comfortable liberal majority today. Gore won (but the votes didn't get counted) and should have appointed judges, Obama should have gotten to appoint Garland, Clinton should have won in an undistorted system. The court increasingly decides against what overwhelming majorities of the population want and absent rigorous constitutional backing will face a legitimacy crisis in the foreseeable future. Unless the GOP loses its current battle, of course.
By what right? Not everybody here finds a liberal SCOTUS majority comfortable (maybe in Europe, NYC, and CA  ::) ).
[edit/ perhaps a majority actively posting here /edit]

I kind of like the constitution as is... and if something needs to be changed we can amend the constitution as it provides. Justices only job is to evaluate wether legislation follows that constitution, not let decisions be swayed by recent political/cultural opinion.

I should be encouraged that more people are becoming aware of the importance of SCOTUS, but I still suspect the vast majority just see this as the latest inning of team politics (RESIST). 

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I kind of like the constitution as is... and if something needs to be changed we can amend the constitution as it provides. Justices only job is to evaluate wether legislation follows that constitution, not let decisions be swayed by recent political/cultural opinion.
This is nice as a concept, although rarely applied in practice.  Re-read Brown v. Board of Education, which if you applied 'originalism' in a strict sense, would have had a very different outcome based “on the basis of the ‘time-dated’ meaning of equal protection in 1868" (a phrase championed by Scalia).

JohnRoberts said:
even in Germany...  ::)

Yes. A very different system, with a much more limited function of the judiciary and a pre-structured and reductionary approach to law. Appointment of judges and prosecuters is by merit only (selection via exam notes, no elections), though for advancement to the higher posts governments and parliaments are involved in the selection process (and things sometimes get politicised, but the process itself is also subject to judicial overview). Germans take buerocracy very seriously. ;-) Lay people never decide on their own on any matter as is the case with trial-by-jury. The criminal justice system is non-advisarial, so less incentive for distortions here either. It's far from perfect, but we frequently scratch our heads here about things going on in the US system. As for the executive: Deaths count for police using firearms in Germany stands at 10 for 2015, wheras for the United States it's at 1146 (Q: Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country#United_States). Adjusted for population it's still only 4 %...

living sounds said:
Yes. A very different system, with a much more limited function of the judiciary and a pre-structured and reductionary approach to law. Appointment of judges and prosecuters is by merit only (selection via exam notes, no elections), though for advancement to the higher posts governments and parliaments are involved in the selection process (and things sometimes get politicised, but the process itself is also subject to judicial overview). Germans take buerocracy very seriously. ;-)
Maybe a little understatement?  ;D  There are well worn cultural stereotypes.

I recall a friend who lived in Germany while working there and he had to register his home address with the government(?) and keep his data (show us your papers?) up to date....  Ironic perhaps as EU sues google for people's right to be forgotten.  ::)

[edit- looks like Bill Cosby, if he lives long enough to get out of jail after his 3-10 year hitch, will have to register his address with local government as a sex offender.  [/edit]

Here is an old joke about heaven and hell.
In Heaven:  The police are British, The cooks are French, The engineers are German, The administrators are Swiss. The lovers are Italian
In Hell: The police are German, The cooks are British, The engineers are Italian, The administrators are French, The lovers are Swiss
Lay people never decide on their own on any matter as is the case with trial-by-jury. The criminal justice system is non-advisarial, so less incentive for distortions here either. It's far from perfect, but we frequently scratch our heads here about things going on in the US system.
A few decades ago a childhood friend of mine was arrested for armed robbery. He was picked out of a line-up because of his long hair and beard. Back then facial hair wasn't as ubiquitous as now. He was picked to be the patsy by a jewelry store owner who owed the mob money and couldn't pay, so he faked a robbery hoping the insurance would make him whole after he got the real criminals off his back .

Of course my friend was not guilty, and contrary to appearances he was not destitute so was able to defend himself. I was called to possibly testify, and offered to be a character witness for him but living a couple states away I could not provide any solid alibi for his whereabouts. He was exonerated and IIRC the jewelry store owner got some time in the gray bar hotel. I'd like to think that the same outcome would occur if the patsy didn't have deep pockets, but I can't know.

The jury of our peers is a key element of our justice system that makes it great, while perhaps difficult for those without any peer.  ::) The constitution is all about protecting individual rights and freedoms.   
As for the executive: Deaths count for police using firearms in Germany stands at 10 for 2015, wheras for the United States it's at 1146 (Q: Wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_firearm_use_by_country#United_States). Adjusted for population it's still only 4 %...
Maybe if Germany beat us in WWII we would be the country without armed police. Country cultures are molded by their history. While no longer as useful now, weapons were important for early American pioneers for hunting to feed their family and for security in lawless regions/times. The second amendment is nominally about protecting ourselves from an out of control federal government.
-----
In FBI data just released Monday, the US murder rate dropped for the first time in two years (but admittedly higher than it could/should be).  I am still very upset about too much gun violence in too many cities (like Chicago? but its a toss up between St Louis and Detroit for worst in US). This strikes me as a massive failure by local government. Of course even worse is Caracas  with 111 murders per 100k population. Acapulco is close with 106 per 100k. No wonder so many people want to move el norte.

JR

scott2000 said:
Maybe I'm ignorant.....  right Along with being a supporter of guys who abuse women....  What a joke.....

I've been trying to figure out a way to address this without getting hackles up, & maybe actually getting some of my point across.  It's been a struggle.

So, yeah.  I do think you're ignorant.  I think lots of men are ignorant (not excluding myself, but I'm trying to figure things out as I go.) 
I think that a lot of men struggle to comprehend what it is to be a woman in our society.  What it's like to deal with menstruation--what a hassle it is & how truly debilitating the pain can be--and then to have to deal with men giving them sh!t about being "on the rag." 
I don't think a lot of men understand how readily and unthinkingly they condescend to women--belittling ideas, looking upon them as weak or helpless, or too "emotional." 
I don't think a lot of men appreciate the everyday harassment that women often have to deal with--the catcalls, the unwelcome advances, being followed on streets, etc.  It has an impact. 
And when we get to assault and rape---I can say that I've seen how psychologically difficult that can be to deal with.  More than I'd like to. 

And let's think about the balance here.  A man who assaults a woman--whether it's copping a feel, or pinning her to a bed, or raping her--the next day, what's he thinking about?  He's not thinking about how someone's attack on him made him feel powerless, paranoid, violated, ashamed.  He's not thinking about whether to report a crime and relive that nightmare, or even whether to tell a loved one about what happened.  No, he's thinking about the next party, or his fantasy league team, or why his boss is such a jerk. 

Rarely does the attacker carry emotional/psychological scars; and if he does, they were not ones inflicted by his victim. 

There's a grave imbalance in the system.  The law tends to be much more forgiving of men than one would like--the "boys will be boys" attitude, or "it'd be such a shame to ruin this fine young man's life because of one mistake"--when that "mistake" has already ruined some young woman's life. 

And the imbalances are far more extensive than that, and ingrained in the culture and embedded in the justice system. 

I challenge Scott to tell me which of the high-profile assaulters he thinks is unjustly accused--Cosby?  Weinstein?  Louis CK?  Moonves?  Charlie Rose?  Trump? 

They all look pretty freaking guilty from where I stand. 

hodad said:
You must be so proud of yourself, Scott.  Such a perfect little gentleman.
I suspect Scott got misunderstood for some sarcasm...

Indeed men and women are different (contrary to some modern conceits).

I have mentioned several times how quickly modern culture is being changed by the megaphone of social media.. This is good and bad, some bad behavior needs to be named and shamed.... But at the same time we need to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water.

BLM have a point, but that point is not that all police are racist killers.

#METOO has a point, but that point is not that all men are sexual predators.

We need to take a breath and be more thoughtful....  The transient response of modern culture is not critically damped so likely to overshoot and ring, before reaching equilibrium.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
The transient response of modern culture is not critically damped so likely to overshoot and ring, before reaching equilibrium.
JR

Agreed. Issues spike and come into focus, the worst get caught and/or shamed and the rest get to look in the mirror and decide.

Unfortunately, trump supporters(and staff) seem to break their mirror on purpose or simply hide from it.

desol said:
Unfortunately, trump supporters(and staff) seem to break their mirror on purpose or simply hide from it.

hmmm...  you may need some more damping... 

That said the guy in my mirror looks old and tired. (I am not about to pull a modern day "narcissus" and take selfies all the time. )

JR

PS: To better state my analogy "the added gain from social media has destabilized the servo loop of modern culture causing overshoots and ringing."

JohnRoberts said:
hmmm...  you may need some more damping... 

That said the guy in my mirror looks old and tired. (I am not about to pull a modern day "narcissus" and take selfies all the time. )

JR

PS: To better state my analogy "the added gain from social media has destabilized the servo loop of modern culture causing overshoots and ringing."

You don't want to dampen me. I'm clear and transparent! An honest representation of the true signal.

scott2000 said:
I meant ignorant because I believe someone like JR would be an excellent juror because he doesn't think like some when knowing where the politics should end and the humanity begins...but some would think that's ignorant....
Well, if I were sexually assaulted, I would not want JR on my jury.  He voted for and continues to support a president who is an admitted serial sexual assaulter--but that's okay for JR. 

His comments on Kavanaugh favor Kavanaugh over Blasey Ford because Kavanaugh just doesn't seem like that kind of guy.  And I venture to say he would support Kavanaugh as readily as he has supported Trump pretty much regardless of evidence.  And so far the evidence suggests Kavanaugh was the kind of guy who very much could have committed sexual assault. 

I don't see this as a lack of bias.  I see it as an unwillingness to condemn those who support his political viewpoints, regardless of their personal repugnance. 

Doesn't matter though. 

(I'm out.)

Back