LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="Stagefright13"]A Pultec sounds like something fun to build.
Besides this La2a, I recieved 4 Eisen Audio pre kits yesterday. That kept me busy all day today! They sound fantastic btw. Api style.
I also am building Mnats 1176 rev D. All I need for that is the tpad and input transformer. Then I think i'll take a rest for a bit... ;)[/quote]

I did a bunch of DIY stuff years ago with control systems until it eventually developed into a small business. It didn't take long for all the fun of it to go away. I completely got turned off by the experience.

I have been engineering in a very demanding recording project for a few months and found myself so amped up after nonstop work that I was unable to fall asleep becuase my brain wouldn't shut off. One thing lead to another and I started reading this site. Eventually I decided that having a little project to work on for an hour or so each night would give me a way to get my mind off the recording. I thought a pair of LA2A's would be a good start. Now I can barely get through a session without sizing up my rack thinking about how much space I could fill!

Now I'm thinking about adding the pultic iron to my la2a order from prodigy. I've also got two empty spaced in my brent averill API312 lunchbox that would be nice to fill. THis could be an expensive addiction.

I would think you should have your transformers this coming week. Took a little over a week to get mine from England. And I think they had to make them. Hopefully I get my cases this week :) I think I'll hook up all the shielded cables and all tomorrow and be done with it. Then just some drilling and countersinking for the standoffs on the case.
And if your looking for something to go in your Brent Averill rack I would highly suggest Eisen Audio. The preamps I built sound fantastic so far but have only had a chance to try a female pop vocal and a male hard rock vocal into them. Should have them on kick, snare, toms tomorrow hopefully. But the fit and quality of the components and sheet metal is great. You also get to choose your doa's and tranny's what's cooler than that? I matched the components across the set :)

And yeah I was sizing up my rack and need another one lol. My 2 racks are filled with equipment and stacked on the tops already. My next DIY might be some nice rack furniture... :)

[quote author="Stagefright13"]
And if your looking for something to go in your Brent Averill rack I would highly suggest Eisen Audio. The preamps I built sound fantastic so far but have only had a chance to try a female pop vocal and a male hard rock vocal into them. Should have them on kick, snare, toms tomorrow hopefully. But the fit and quality of the components and sheet metal is great. You also get to choose your doa's and tranny's what's cooler than that? I matched the components across the set :)[/quote]

THis might sound stupid and be OT but are his 500 series modules compatible with a 300 series rack? This would be a super project if they would :)

Wow finally done wiring my beast. I put the pots and switches etc on. Everything but the meter and ac transformer. And cleaned all the flux off. Was a bigger job than I had expected. But I took my time and used lotsa heat shrink etc. Can't wait...

As far as I know Brent Averill only makes a 500 rack. A 6 space and 11 space. He also racks Neves and stuff too. Is that what ya mean? Eisen kits will fit in the Brent averill 500 racks. Never heard of a 312 rack. But he does have a 312a card which is a 500 compatible card.

One quick question. I bought my Sifam meter with a 6 volt light kit. Will I blow the bulb hooking it to the 6 volt ac lamp connections on the board? The instructions say it must handle 2 amps?

[quote author="Stagefright13"]
As far as I know Brent Averill only makes a 500 rack. A 6 space and 11 space. He also racks Neves and stuff too. Is that what ya mean? Eisen kits will fit in the Brent averill 500 racks. Never heard of a 312 rack. But he does have a 312a card which is a 500 compatible card.[/quote]

Well, thereya go. I didn't know it was a 500 rack with a 312 in it. My lesson of the day.

What are you using for a case? Where did you order the meter? Meterdistributers.com is local for me so I was planning on calling monday to see if they have some in stock.

Cheers

Sorry for the delay. I had crazy week, again... :shock: Your LA-2A case is parting tomorrow :thumb:

This is what happens when you get involved with DIY. It just sucks all the free time and money away from you :green:

[quote author="Purusha"]Wrong, your cases were sent to you one week ago so you should get them any day now :wink:[/quote]

Does that include mine too?

No, yours will be shipped in two days. You will get the new ones :thumb:

LA-2Agray2.jpg

WOOHOO! Cases came today! They are awesome. Very well done and thanks! My girlfriend hid them so I wouldn't see the package when I got home then surprised me.
So I started grinding and wiring and bolting and soldering and drilling and...

I am now the proud owner of a newly born LA2A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cigars!
It passed the smoke test. Then it passed audio so I stuck in the T4B and we are compressing! My meter light didn't blow by the way it looks perfect. Took a while to do partly because I used 14 standoffs for the circuit board and ground and connected the case parts with int tooth lock washers.
I'll give it a full on test tomorrow after I cleanup. But so far I have absolutely no noise or hum of any kind. I could NOT be happier. This is a fantastic setup. The circuit board and design are beautiful and the case is heavy gauge steel with a very cool retro faceplate. I would highly recommend this project.
Thanks to all that made it possible! I will try to take pics tomorrow. It turned out great :)

Here's a couple pics. It tested out perfectly. Even limit and compress work the way they should. I still need knobs and my output xlr bulkhead is the wrong one so will order a different one. But it sounds awesome. No noise at all VERY smooth.
 Now I gotta look up the correct way to adjust the stereo and limiter response pots... I have them in the middle right now.

latop

lafront

:green:

Oh btw the limit compress switch is upside down in the pic. I noticed it right after I tested it. Shortly after I took the picture.
John

[quote author="Stagefright13"]Here's a couple pics. It tested out perfectly. Even limit and compress work the way they should. I still need knobs and my output xlr bulkhead is the wrong one so will order a different one. But it sounds awesome. No noise at all VERY smooth.
Now I gotta look up the correct way to adjust the stereo and limiter response pots... I have them in the middle right now.

www.stagefrightonline.com/latop
www.stagefrightonline.com/lafront

:green:[/quote]

How about the metering? Does all that seem to be working reasonably correctly?

Congratulations!

Wm

Back