LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Neeno, someone else pointed this out via PM.

I've used Frank's panel templates before so I've no idea why I didn't think of it. :roll:

Cheers :thumb:

Nick

How about the metering? Does all that seem to be working reasonably correctly?

Wm[/quote]

The metering seems fine. I didn't run a signal generator or anything but approx -10 reduction on the meter was about -9 in protools. So yeah close enough for hand grenades and horseshoes :grin:
And it does some awesome squeezing and leveling on vocals without pumping. Going to do a vocal session this weekend for a true test. I'm beginning to like only having 2 knobs. It's just too easy lol!

hi

I built the g1176 and gssl sofar with great results..
now I am interested to build the la2a.
I do not know much about electronics!

Am I expecting to have any problems running
the la2a on the inserts of my soundcraft ghost
because of the la2a´s impedance of 600ohm?

what are your experiences?

thanks

christian

According to the LA-2A manual it will work with all kinds of impedance. I haven't tested it myself cause my tracking room is in my basement and I use a Mackie 24vlz mixer down there for monitor mix with separate reverbs etc. And don't have a xlr channel patch cable made up. So I haven't carried it down to try it. But I can't imagine a problem. Just remember inserts are unbalanced probably so wire your cable accordingly. Download the LA2A manual etc.
This thing flat out sounds great. Did a session with it yesterday (Karaoke female vocal) client from a local music store vocal school. I used a Universal Audio Solo 610 as preamp and a Cad E300 into a 002r. (wich sounded better than my AT4050 btw) The preamp and LA took the edge off the mic and made it like butter.
After using this all week I can hear it on alot of CD's in my collection. It just has that unmistakable signature.
Rating:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
5 out of 5 thumbs :)
Also I used a 12at7 in the #1 12ax7 spot cause I wanted to use a telefunken and I have 4 of them. My 12ax7 teles are in my UA pres and my M9. I used a 70's NOS RCA in the other audio spot and a 60's NOS 6aq5a rca and a jj tesla ecc83 in the #2 spot. Sounds awesome. I'm such a tube nut lol!

Hi,
Pants here. Longtime lurker, first time poster...
I'm just about to finish assembling my LA2A box. I bought a PCB and T4B from Gregory and it's been a breeze putting it together thusfar. It was almost anticlimactic after weeks of sourcing parts to have it mostly assembled in a few hours, but I probably prefer it to the alternative.
I'm hoping someone will help me out with a meter question. I bought an AL20 from Instrument Meter Specialties not knowing that there might be electrical differences between it (an audio level meter) and a true VU meter. I've seen some posts here or there about adding some sort of rectifier to the meter, but I don't know that it applies to my situation. Does anyone know for sure if this is necessary? If so, what is the rectifier exactly, and how do I go about making one?
Any help is much appreciated. Also, if anyone who reponds could please phrase their answer as if speaking to a 3 year old, that would be great, because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've racked three PM1000's and then this LA2A and that's it.
A buhzillion thanks.
Chris.

Yes, it's a Sifam. I called Meter Specialties and spoke to very nice fellow named Ike who told me that all the Sifams need a 3.6k resistor wired in series, and he didn't see any reason why there would be a problem. The DripOpto board has a 3.9k in the R24 position that serves this purpose. I'm sure it's fine. I had to wait until today for the paint on the faceplate to cure. I'm going to finish putting it together and audio test it this evening. After seeing Purusha's issues with metering, but not really understanding the context, I thought I'd ask. I'll post back with photos and a report once I've got it up and running.

Thanks,
Chris.

[quote author="pantsonfire"]
I'm hoping someone will help me out with a meter question. I bought an AL20 from Instrument Meter Specialties not knowing that there might be electrical differences between it (an audio level meter) and a true VU meter. I've seen some posts here or there about adding some sort of rectifier to the meter, but I don't know that it applies to my situation. Does anyone know for sure if this is necessary? If so, what is the rectifier exactly, and how do I go about making one?
[/quote]

Sounds like you might be fine on the VU issue, but if you want to know more about the whys and wherefores of Vu buffering and rectification, and even buy a small VU board designed specifically for rectifying a signal (and other extra purposes), have a squizz at http://www.jlmaudio.com/VU Buffer.htm - especially Rob Squire's DIY article, a copy of which is on that page. It's awesome stuff.

Cheers

[quote author="Greg Dixon"]My transformers arrived yesterday and so I finished my pair. They sound fantastic. I think I'll have to build two more.[/quote]

:sam: :sam: :thumb:

You got pics?

[quote author="astrovic"][quote author="Greg Dixon"]My transformers arrived yesterday and so I finished my pair. They sound fantastic. I think I'll have to build two more.[/quote]

:sam: :sam: :thumb:

You got pics?[/quote]

At this point I have the 'other' pots mounted inside. Prodigy sent me one PCB mount output transformer and the one pictured here with the leads. I couldn't be bothered sending it back, so I just used it anyway. I only had axial lead capacitors for the power supply, but they work fine, just look messy.

I used one today on a vocalist and it sounded great. U87 into G9 into LA2a into PT 96 i/o. He was a great singer too, which always helps...

Can anyone tell me how to upload a picture from my computer?

[quote author="Greg Dixon"]

Can anyone tell me how to upload a picture from my computer?[/quote]

Join this site... http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/
Upload your photos.
Click on the photo and then when it pops up in its own little window right click it and select properties.
Select and copy the url of the photo.
CLick the "Img" button above this "Post a reply" window. That will give you the [NOSPACE img NOSPACE] tag.
Follow that with the url from the image and then close it with [/NOSPACEimg] tag.
It will look something like this but without the spaces and quotes...
"[ img ] http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/st_adj_pot.jpg [ /img ]"

Without the spaces and quotes the result would be...
st_adj_pot.jpg

Good luck.

I really like your home grown case. I would post pics of mine but it's just another version in one of Tat's cases. Maybe when I add the stereo link connector I can post a pic of that.

I hope you are enjoying your new LA2A as much as I am mine.

Cheers. William

It's ok. Just looks a bit plain. If I do another one, I'd put the knobs up higher. It just looks bottom heavy to me.

Getting a bit bored with the brown cases I get from a local supplier. I now have 2x LA2a, 4x G9 (and more coming) and 2x G1176 all in matching brown cases. I built a third G1176 with a black from panel. I have some Yamaha PM1000s where I sprayed the front orange, which look cool.

[quote author="wmb"]

Cheers. William[/quote]

The only problem with the LA2a is it uses 3 rack spaces for a single channel of compression. It's worth it, but I'm running out of space.

[quote author="Greg Dixon"][quote author="wmb"]

Cheers. William[/quote]

The only problem with the LA2a is it uses 3 rack spaces for a single channel of compression. It's worth it, but I'm running out of space.[/quote]

I managed to cram mine into a 2 rack space homebrew box with some 22gauge steel. Its a real tight squeeze and the box looks like ass because all I had to cut the metal with was a jig saw, i had a wobbly older then dirt drill press and some 2X4 and clamps to bend the steel. So a 2 space LA2A is dooable

Latest posts

Back