LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a compressor that is hard to not fall in love with. Obviously it has limited control. But gives a sound that we are all used to. If ya ever listened to a few CD's you will hear it. On vocals it just lets them sit perfectly in the mix with a smooth full sound. Even with a less than perfect singer. It makes singers sound more upscale than they are. And don't be afraid to compress more than you would normally do on another device.

On bass guitar it does the same thing. Keeps a level full bass that just "sits" great in the mix. I think the limited controls takes some of the guesswork out of mixing with compression. But also having a great sound at the same time. Next up is acoustic guitar later this week for a new trial. wish me luck. :)

I would go with a Sifam meter with the 6 volt light kit to avoid possible problems myself. Just a suggestion. However it could work very well...

John

How do I go about replacing the light kit that came with my meter with some fancy leds that I see in some of these boxes? The orange/yellow color is a little lame to look at sometimes.

[quote author="chingon"]How do I go about replacing the light kit that came with my meter with some fancy leds that I see in some of these boxes? The orange/yellow color is a little lame to look at sometimes.[/quote]

look here for inspiration:
bf442f15http://www.jlmaudio.com/VU%20Buffer.htm

I was trying to find any information on:

How to hook up the wires of the Sowter 0208 power transformer?

Can anybody help?
Did i miss it somewhere?

Greg, maybe you know?

Thanks,
Cheers

honestly i havent tried the sowter power .
it's gotta just crush the performance of the allied x former.

if you could post a pic that would be great.
id love to put in in the manual revisions.

sowter should provide you with a diagram.
i could look at it and tell you what is what if you like.

simply it will be primary (voltage in ) , usually black and black
hi voltage 250/250v (voltage out) usually red / red
heaters 6 volts (2 amps) usually green/green
center tap grounds usually green and yellow / red and yellow
(ground to case)

shield is usually a single grey wire (ground to case)

keep us informed,

g,

Hi Greg,

here is the Sowter power!

transformer3.jpg

left:

green/yellow
black
white
blue
brown
red

right:

yellow
yellow
orange
orange
grey
green

and here is the colour code pdf from Sowter.

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?pos=-1023

"
sowterpower.jpg"
"

The line above without the quotation marks would put the image into the post. The url is the actual location of the image. The tags will display it in the post.

That is a mighty hunk of iron.

here is my dripopto

still waiting for the 1 meg pots.
have to order a case and a VUmeter next.

dripopto2.jpg

I´m getting realy excited, this is a dream come true.

[quote author="Stagefright13"]Yeah v1 and v2 are in the audio path. The BH7A and the 12AX7 #1. I can't tell you the difference in sound between the stock tubes and the ones I used. I built mine with NOS from the beginning. I put a 12AT7 in the 12AX7 spot because I already had some. Vintage NOS 12Ax7's can be pricey... But if ya go to tubeworld.com they have a pretty good explanation of the difference in sound between the various tube manufacturers. And in all my other tube equipment I have replaced the tubes and gotten better sound. Not usually night and day but with a good set of monitors you will notice the difference right away. Especially in the bottom end and highs.[/quote]
you don't happen to have a v1 and v2 you'd be willing to part with would you?

I don't have any tubes I would like to sell. Sorry, I like to keep some onhand for projects ;)

No ya don't have to adjust anything. It is a similar tube with slightly less gain. You may not even notice the gain difference. If anything it might make the unit quieter.

John

I just red this in the Drip opto manual

Avoid metal oxide resistors for anything but the power distribution
resistors , (the resistors that ‘feed’ off of the main power rail).

Can someone explain why? I can't find any higher wattage resistors than metal oxide near by :?

[quote author="moogfrotee"]here is my dripopto

still waiting for the 1 meg pots.
have to order a case and a VUmeter next.

I´m getting realy excited, this is a dream come true.[/quote]

Where did you get the adjust. condens.? Germany?

Thanks!

[quote author="tomcat"]
Where did you get the adjust. condens.? Germany?

Thanks![/quote]

I ordered here:
http://www.surplussales.com/Variables/Compression/CompCap1.html

[quote author="capnspoony"]are these boards still available for purchase?

--Richie[/quote]
email Gregory (in his sig).

Cheers

Nick

Back