Laser Engraving For Front Panels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sr1200, did you receive yours?
I finally managed to install the IR laser head on the machine (Atomstack acknowledged an erro in the manual), but now I have problems connecting the PC to the engraver.
9 times out of 10 connection fails. I suspect a faulty mother board on the control unit.
Communication with Atomstack (via Amazon) is terribly slow.

Hey missed the update on this thread. I did indeed receive it and it works REALLY well on the aluminum panels. Its a pure bright white result from the anodized black.
As to your problem. I assume you swapped USB cables. Could be something as silly as a cold solder on the USB connector... might want to check that out before going the return to amazon route.
What i dont like is the mounting plates for the blue and IR laser arent the same and the tool change time between the two is tedious.
I was able to clean rust off of some old tools with the IR which was pretty darn cool. Tool looks like new again (with a slightly less shiny appearance, just no rust now). I think i may have to just dial in the settings to take the rust off without etching into the tool metal though... lots of experimenting to do.

Hey missed the update on this thread. I did indeed receive it and it works REALLY well on the aluminum panels.
Thanks for the update.
Have you tried on unfinished aluminium? That's this possibility that convinced me buying it.
As to your problem. I assume you swapped USB cables. Could be something as silly as a cold solder on the USB connector... might want to check that out before going the return to amazon route.
A new mother board is on its way.
What i dont like is the mounting plates for the blue and IR laser arent the same and the tool change time between the two is tedious.
I understand that. Fortunately it's not an issue for me since I intend to use only the IR head.
I was able to clean rust off of some old tools with the IR which was pretty darn cool. Tool looks like new again (with a slightly less shiny appearance, just no rust now). I think i may have to just dial in the settings to take the rust off without etching into the tool metal though... lots of experimenting to do.
How do you do that? Scan the whole surface? How do you manage focus?

I found aluminium anodised dial scales that look nice and dont cost much , the metal is thin with double sided tape to hold it if you want , its easy to replace if it becomes scratched up or worn ,
1673097068620.png
Not as long lived or as nice as laser cut letters but you do see similar on army electronics in the form of faceplates , quick and easy to change if the unit comes back for service after getting bashed up in the field .
1673096310147.png

Last edited:
692825AA-03C8-469E-B709-47E3129C3D8A.jpegFEEF2AD3-C6C5-4847-9E3C-B500D7F27C91.jpeg
Heres a before and after. Was a kick drum foot plate from a dw pedal i got off ebay for $20. I tried different settings hence the color changes at different sections. With the honey comb, the laser is so out of focus to the things below, i just made a box in lightburn the approximate shape of the part and let it run. Anything below was in no danger of combusting or being ruined by the laser. After the rust was off i hit it lightly with a rotary tool w wire brush to get rid of any last little bits of yuck and off to the powder coater. (the after pic is before i used the rotary tool)
The laser has a few mm of play before its too out of focus to work. We did a flask for one of our local fire chiefs for xmas. DE9DD059-63FB-4712-A433-30B461419AF1.jpeg
The curvature on that didnt really effect the final outcome.

I found aluminium anodised dial scales that look nice and dont cost much , the metal is thin with double sided tape to hold it if you want , its easy to replace if it becomes scratched up or worn ,
View attachment 102651
Not as long lived or as nice as laser cut letters but you do see similar on army electronics in the form of faceplates , quick and easy to change if the unit comes back for service after getting bashed up in the field .
View attachment 102649
This is a GREAT idea. A lot easier to do small stick on plates than the whole rack face. Gotta see if i can get rectangular pcs. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back