Layering Vocals Tips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally. If you don't have  a H3k have a look around in your plugins, there's probably one that will do a decent sounding detune -/+ a handful of cents - even if you have to print it onto a pair of tracks.

For me recently delays have opened up a bunch of sonic territory, they can thicken, add dimension - take away dimension.

Don't be afraid to experiment with short delays <30ms, it can be fascinating....mono delay panned around - just be mindful of delay times shorter than 10ms or so might lead to some cancellation of frequencies but sometimes it can sound good.

of course there is our friend HAAS!
:D

Hai all,

Anyone know what kind of processor on this nice vocal? I tried using waves doubler, but not good...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2xr8bpxj21jc84/Katy%20Perry-Teenage%20Dream.mp3

Vocal Processor = katy+dr luke+max martin+benny blanco.... ;D

Seriously.

It sounds like triple(+?) tracking, with extra tracks for emphasis here and there, carefully edited & probably vocaligned, with some moderate auto tune here and there, there's no magic box that will get you that sound. It's a combination of techniques and the sound of her voice. The harmonies on "don't ever look back" are more heavily autotuned.

Not sure who mixed this track... anyone know?

haima said:
Vocal Processor = katy+dr luke+max martin+benny blanco.... ;D

Seriously.

It sounds like triple(+?) tracking, with extra tracks for emphasis here and there, carefully edited & probably vocaligned, with some moderate auto tune here and there, there's no magic box that will get you that sound. It's a combination of techniques and the sound of her voice. The harmonies on "don't ever look back" are more heavily autotuned.

Not sure who mixed this track... anyone know?

So... it's about creative editing, there's no magic box... :-[

A few times I have taken the lead vox and duplicated the track so I can edit each.  On the duplicate, get rid of all but the last word before the breaks in the vocal.  Send this one much wetter into the delay than the orig lead.  On the orig lead, get rid of the last words before the breaks, and only send it just a bit to the delay.  That way, you can have your delay fx ring more throughout the vocal gaps, and also process the tail a bit easier.  I usually group these so any automation I do affects both tracks down the road.
I have also seen some guys dupe the vox track and send it Pre into the delay, mute the feed to the stereo buss, and only return the delay when they wanted it in the gaps.  It makes itneasy this way to add a bit of distortion with an amp modeling plug just before it hits the delay to give it a bit of breakup if wanted.
Rob

Back