LED peak meter with fastest transient detection (clipping indication meter)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what is the voltage of v+ and v- of the trident high res meter. Also 12v? same psu?

can i leave comarator legs open when i need less then 4 in any stage?

seva said:
Is VR1 to increase the rectified input signal to the 24v ref?

Or is VR1 to decrease ref V to rectified input signal?
VR1 is the input adjustment. The reference is not 24V, it's about 4V. The resistor string is about 10k and the voltage divider with the 47k (R32) gives about 4V.

what is a good value for the hole ladder R? I choose 51k for the calculation attached. Is it OK? 
Typically I would use about 10k.

Why do you use 24v for your power supply?
Because that's what I had available! :) The LED's are in series, so they need about 16V, to which you have to add about 2V for the CCS.

What is the minimum for 30 LED´s with 40dB range?
You can't put 30 LED's in series; that would require about 60V, which the comparators cannot handle. You have to arrange them in strings of 8 or 10. So you would need about 20V for strings of 8 or 24V for strings of 10. I would use strings of 8 because the comparators come in quad packs.

seva said:
what is the voltage of v+ and v- of the trident high res meter. Also 12v? same psu?
It's D&R Triton. Power supply gives +/-18V, at strips it drops to +/- 17,5V.
can i leave comarator legs open when i need less then 4 in any stage?
It depends of the used opamp/comparator.
For opamps, usually +in goes to gnd, -in goes to output.
For comparator LM339, unused inputs and outputs should go to pin 12 (gnd or -V), IIRC.

thanks for the explantation! :)

I am on the right way. I am tuning the scale right now. I found a calculator form Elma and did a new calc.  Are my values ok for the ladder resistors?

Attachments

• calk meter series R 10k.png
    calk meter series R 10k.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
seva said:
what is the value of R31 in your meter schemo? why is it na?
R31 is a dirty trick that reinjects a fraction of the input voltage into the reference. The result is the response is in the form (ax+b)/cx+d), which is an hyperbolic.
Within a carefully chosen range, an hyperbolic is close enough to a logarithmic, so that makes a reasonable dB scale with a linear resistor string.
It's NA in the level meter because the resistor string is specific, but for the GR meter, it's used to increase resolution around 0dB, but still allows displaying high GR (about 40dB).

Attachments

• GR meter.jpg
    GR meter.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 19
I looked to the 3 schem´s for comparison. there are 3 different ways of connecting positive comparator inputs +

1. the trident has this section on ground
2. ruffrecords schemo shows no connection to ground
3. Abbeys schemo shows connection to the input back.

Could you please explane it or link me to the basics

still not understand why the trident goes to ground.

I did a first schemo- attached. I hope that I understood everything right so far. When it looks good, i plan to go over to the math tasks. 18Vsupply V+ and V-

Attachments

• meter 02 komparator schema 01.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 7
seva said:
still not understand why the trident goes to ground.
Not "trident", it's Triton, from dutch manufacturer D+R.
See pins 8, 9 & 10 of connector 2, and pin 3 of connector 1 ? They go to this kind of slash symbol. That's ground, and you see many instances of it all around the schemo, particularly at the bottom of the resistor strings (R60).

OK- Now, I see it:) thanks Abbey!

But I mean R1 - 100k goes to ground. I don´t know why. Other circuits don´t have it (or not?)

Attachments

• meter 02 komparator schema 01 screenshot.png
    meter 02 komparator schema 01 screenshot.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back